When It Works! - Great BOR Last Night

We had BORs last night and I am still experiencing warm fuzzies this morning. I was so pleased with the boys' progress.

I wanted to share about our newest Life scout. This was the 3rd BOR I've sat on for this young man. He almost didn't pass the first review. He couldn't make eye contact, mumbled, sat stone silent while we tried desperately to get him to warm up.

I was so impressed with him last night it almost moved me to tears. He came in with confidence, looked us straight in the eye, shook hands and expressed his appreciation for us being there. He made eye contact, talked confidently and with great eloquence, and answered all the questions in depth and with great sincerity.

He told us that when he first started scouting he could barely even speak to the other scouts. He told of his appreciation for the SM who had pushed him out of his comfort zone and expressed his confidence in the boy's ability to be a good leader. He talked very movingly about his growth as a person and how scouting had helped him become stronger.

I was blown away by his discussion of what it means to be part of a community and how important service was to him. He talked at length about the scouting law and ideals and how difficult they were to live out with integrity, but that he was striving to do so and spent time every day reflecting on the areas where he needed to grow.

And he was entirely sincere. I know this young man well as he is one of my son's best friends and is often in our home. I can tell you he is an entirely different person than the boy I met at that first BOR. When he stepped out so the team could discuss his review, the other members just looked at me and went "WOW!" I whole-heartedly concurred. WOW, indeed.

A true transformation from fearful, painfully shy, awkward little boy to a confident, intelligent young man brimming with character and integrity. I was proud to be part of BSA and filled with hope for our community should this young man be an example of its future leaders.

Just wanted to encourage you all. It works. :)

Charity(This message has been edited by CharityAK)

Charity:

Thanks for a story that makes me remember why I dedicate my career to the Boy Scouts of America.

It's been a tough week and I'm glad it's over.

But now that I've read yet another example that Scouting works -- I could start all over at Tuesday, September 2, 2003 9:00 AM with no problem at all.

Thank you.

DS