Dear Parent, You need help

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope I am not violating any forum etiquette posting on what appears to be a somewhat older thread. After reading through what others have dealt with/are dealing with, somehow having a CM whose wife came to our last meeting with her pants leg rolled up to show off her new tattoo (CM had a new one too but he wasn't blatantly showing off his) doesn't seem so bad. Nor does having three scouts who are brought by their grandparents, or the single mother who brings her son and shows her butt crack while bending over to take care of the baby she brings to the meetings.

Each group of scouts has it's own dynamics, things they will tolerate and things they will not. While I would like nothing better than to offer my version of the way these people should act like grown ups instead of adolescents with too many hormones running rampant, I bite my tongue and keep my opinions to myself. I believe reasons such as these may be why I was not involved in scouts as a youngster. Still, I am reminded of a quote from a Scottish comedian whose name I can't recall: "Times may change but standards MUST remain."

packsaddle: the reason I said that is because you mentioned you have shared tents with another adult male leader and female leader. I am fairly certain that the rules state that unmarried adults of the opposite sex cannot share tents.

Honestly, this rules seem archaic and outdated to me. I sure wish someone could point out that it doesn't exist. But like I said earlier, at BALOO training a few weeks ago, the instructor was ADAMANT that this is the case and he also pointed out that we were at risk of loosing our chapter if someone chose to make an issue of it.

This isn't a big deal in our pack. But we do have a den leader who is not married to the woman whose children attend our program. He is a nice guy, more involved in his step sons' lives that would you expect and I am not about to tell him he cannot share a tent with his live in girlfriend. Because the truth is that if I were unmarried and I had some other adult in some vague position of authority telling me to pitch a separate tent with my SO, I would kiss scouting good bye.

I am not offended by tats.

I have seen some tats that are not appropriate. Several naked women, swear words, violence, satan, cruel acts, adult jokes.

I have also asked offenders to keep them covered. I have also asked several dads to not wear pentagrams or inappropriate tshirts to events.

Far as crack offenders go....I am an offender....suspenders, belts and such....the scout pants just fit so poorly just can't keep them up.

momofcubs.......The issue is with cub scouting for the most part....our troop has never family camped. I have never shared a tent with a female other than my wife, mom and daughter.

(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)