In need of Ideas.....

Hello!!

I am not with the Boy or Girl scouts. However, I will be volunteering at a camp next month called Wings! for girls and boys that have lost a close loved one. I thought this forum would have some experienced scouts that could possibly help me. I am in need for a creative activity to do around the campfire with 25 kids. Right now we only have a couple songs lined up and each camper will tell a story of their loved one that has passed away and then throw a pinecone into the fire. I need something else that deals with helping them cope with losing a loved one. ANY ideas will be MUCH appreciated!!!!!!!! Thank you in advance,

Jessica

lilzog

I hink you are doing a wonderful thing but you might not be taking the best approach. I have some experience with grief counseling as my parents were grief counselors for many years.

I would suggest you contact a local church that has a certified grief counselor and seek advice.

One problem you have is that what you propose you have no time control over, and with 25 people trying to tell a story your campfire could last for hours. Plus the goal is not to make people sadder than they are but to help them grow past their pain into a state where they can remember their loss but be able to accept it and function on a more positive level.

As an example having them walk up to the fire and add a stick to it as they say a positive characteristic that they remember about their loved one. They can see how the character of that person adds to the glow and the warmth of their fire. They can feel a postive uplifting feeling as the fire grows.

I am sure that a trained grief counselor could give you several other ideas.

Good luck

BW(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Kudo and Bob White, thanks a bunch. I forgot to mention that the kids are age 8-15. I am not the coordinator and I have never attended the camp before. I was asked to find another activity. The other activitys are set in place by the coordinator and so I am assuming that they work well for this camp. Also, the org. that is hosting the camp is an Home Health and Hospice.

I have decided to narrow it down to a Star activity or game. I will continue searching. In the mean time, any other ideas are welcome.

=)

Hi Jessica,

Scouting is a recreation and personal development organisation. What you are describing is more an intervention - treatment program. I suggest that you have a look at wildernss/adventure thearpy or adventure based counselling.

Also try these links:

http://wilderdom.com/adventuretherapy.html

the links in the top right corner of this page will give heaps of possibilties.

http://sitemaker.umich.edu/adventuretherapy/activities_and_games

http://tapg.aee.org/

for theory and association

These planned moments can be very therapeutic. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water just yet. Some suggestions:

Make it easy for kids to pass and just listen to others - they may not be ready to speak. Make this clear when you first talk about the fire. That will prevent people getting 'sick' or 'hurt' or acting out in order to avoid the event.

Have someone who can perfom any individual grief counselling if someone looses it a bit.

Speak to the older or more experienced kids and see if they can lead the way.

Make sure there is a good amount of trust and respect in the group prior to the campfire. Night one may not be best.

Very structured or quite unstructured seem to work best. Dunno why really.

If you have never done something like this then be very comfortable about it before you go in. If you are unsure your intuition is probably cautioning you that you are out of your depth. That being said the activity you describe will probably go ok. Campfires have been used in this way since humans learned to speak. Maybe before. If you decide against then I recommend that you cut your teeth in such activities by...becoming a volunteer Scout leader or some such where there ramifications of stuffing up would be less severe.

When I have run such events it has been simply kicking it off and then letting it run a natural course with a few clarify and affirming comments by me and other's who have themselves together. The kids probably already know the rules about how to share their feelings - the camp would be pretty second rate if this was not clear on day 1. BW's suggestion is good as a structured example.

Get advice and support from the therapy people at the camp. Always refer your plans to them and ask for their guidance.

As in medicine - "at least do no harm".

Hit the 'Send Private Message' on the left of this panel if you want more.

Jessica,

i know this is a boy scout forum but...

One thing girl scouts do is called swaps. Each Troop (or youth in your case) makes up 2 dozen so little "swaps" and then they put them on their hat or shirt or bag or whatever. Then they all go around and talk and "swaP" their little keepsakes. They are small little crafts with a pin attched. they are made out of beads or foam and have thier troop number and where they are from on them. They are keepsakes and end up w/ 2 dozen differnet ones once exchanged .Those girls who have been in years have quiet a collection. These make the girls interact and gives them something to share and prepare for.

here's an site on how to make:

http://parentingteens.about.com/od/girlscoutsandgirlguides/a/swaps_girlscout.htm

http://www.gsswaps.net/

The kids could put their names on them so they each know someone else is out there that has gone through it too.

lilzog,

Greetings!

A great campfire activity for a small group of 25 people, would be an interactive story. Probably divided in 4-5 parts.

There are many that can be found online, in both Scouting resources, church resources, and youth resources. Use any search engine to look for audience participation story or interactive story.

Such as, "When I say 'Train' everyone in group A says 'Choo-Choo! All aboard'. and When I say 'Maiden' everyone in group B says 'Oh Dear, I can't pay the rent!'" And so on, and so on. There are many, many stories. Some are seasonal, some have a moral to the story.

Give out the group assignments, practice it quickly and begin the story. If a group didn't her the key word, repeat the phrase louder so they get their queue the again "i said, 'here come the TRAIN!'".

It all can be done in less than 5 minutes. Interactive stories need a good story teller, and a receptive audience. Honestly. I've told them many times, some times they are just okay and entertaining. But many times they are hilarious, a riot, and the audience really enjoys them and remembers the moral to the story.

Good Luck!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

karen, that is such an awesome idea! That will come in handy at our next group therapy session for my work kids- mostly foster kids who tend to be embarrassed and bitter about thier circumstances. Thank you!

karen, that is such an awesome idea! That will come in handy at our next group therapy session for my work kids- mostly foster kids who tend to be embarrassed and bitter about thier circumstances. Thank you!