new wheels for your Scout

This thread is only tangentially related to scouting... A comment in another thread about linking earning Eagle with getting a driving license and/or a car led me to wonder how other scouting families deal with your new driver's first set of wheels (regardless of Scout rank). Do you give it to him as a gift? Does he earn the money himself? Or, do you subsidize the cost? And how about auto insurance? Do you pay, does he, or do you share the cost somehow?

When I was a pup, on my 16th B-day, I was told I could buy the family beater for $300. It was a 1974 Chevy Vega and worth much more than $300, but it was an excuse for my dad to get mom an upgrade. I did however have to provide my own insurance and maintenance. This required I have a job.

In two years, I will face the same thing with my son. My wife's 99 Audi w/110,000 miles might make a great first car for him. Of course, it will have 150,000 on it by that time and the $300 price might not be a bargain. He will have to get a job to pay for insurance and gas. Or walk.

My son's first car was inherited from his grandfather...a 1987 Dodge Aries Wagon - red. His Varsity baseball coach promptly named it the "Radio Flyer"...he was mortified, but it was that or the school bus. But it was a great car for carrying his buddies and their baseball gear in the back. He was making honor roll, played varsity level sports for 4 years, working weekends, and doing Scouts to humor me, so I paid the insurance and he paid the gas. I guess I should have withheld the car until he made Eagle, because he aged out as a Star. He went on to graduate from college, and 2 weeks ago succcessfully opened his own restaurant to rave reviews. Both of my sons never gave us a lick of trouble, no drugs or booze, no pregnant girlfriends, made good grades, got their degrees, and now have good careers. If they need my help, I will do anything for them.

All in all, I wouldn't change a thing. Making Eagle is not everything. YOu have to consider the whole picture. If the end result is an adult who makes ethical decisions, we've accomplished the mission.

"We" started saving for their first car when they were in grade school. Mom and I opened a bank savings account for both boys. We explained that saving for "big toys" was a good idea and they should consider puting a bit of cash from any "wind-fall" they came into...birthdays, Christmas, barn cleaning/painting, odd jobs, etc.

Then, We then offered to match any deposit they made so long as the money was not taken out for a 'bad' investment (as so judged by family meeting and vote). Should one of our boys want to blow his cash on a recreational pogie bait splurge and the family vote went against the proposed "investment" -an equal amount was returned to the original owner (me)...so if he/they wanted to "flush" $100 down the tubes it actually cost his account $200...believe me "splurges" just didn't happen...Both built up very nice accounts.

When car time came turns out each was "given" an old S-10 type pick up...only two seats...no friends in the back seat acting as a distraction. The "given" part was sort of a surprise. Grandparents had a 130,000 mile beater type truck (well maintained and all major "systems" recently rebuilt) and wanted to give it to "oldest son". (out in the country "real" jobs are hard to get to without wheels). So the bank accounts were turned into college "extras" accounts...seems to be working. Repeat performance was done for younger son recently.

Gas and oil-totally theirs...insurance is mine as long as grades stay in the B range and above. Need extra cash...I always have more than enough extra work they can do...or they can ask their part time jobs for more hours...and I have lots of truck space for those trips to the dump and recycling center (or the local lumber store)!

Anarchist

I know I give my kids way too much...

Son (age 16) drives a 2007 Honda Civic Coupe.

Daughter (just turned 18) drives a 2007 Toyota Solara Convertible.

They were gifts from their parents to them. Insurance is mine. Gas is theirs.

Daughter just got a full ride academic scholarship to a prestigious private school in area. I accept her gift to me of $120,000+ with a smile.