We All Make A Difference in a Scout's Life

Scouters,

Thought I would share a little story with you that happened to me to day.

I just came back from an Eagle Court of Honor. I've been to quite a few but this one had me teary eyed.

Four Eagles had a combined COH. After all the ceremony each Eagle Scout said a few words. But two of the speeches touched me the most. I've known the two young men for a few years and I considered an honor for them to invite me to share their day in the sun.

The first one was a young man that I know. After thanking his parents, adult leaders, friends, he said a special thanks to me, and a few others. But what was really special is that he gave his Eagle mentor pin to an adult he had worked with at summer camp. He stated how working with this adult was real inspiration to him. This adult was not a part of his troop, but someone who was a true role model to him.

The second young man who is not the talkative type started his speech. He also thanked his parents, troop leaders, and looked at me and said thanks "Cary", and others in the crowd who stood behind him, and helped him obtaining the elusive bird. As we were sitting around at the reception this kid came up to me handed me the Eagle mentor pin. It shocked me, I said thanks, and had to excuse myself from the table to get some punch. As I was standing in line I had to wipe away a few tears.

The moral of the story is: No matter what your role is in Scouting, you directly and indirectly have a positive impact on the lives of these kids.

Yours in Scouting

Cary Purcell

Advisor, Crew 805

This hung next to the front door of my parents house for as long as I can remember. My parents loved working with kids and did most of their adults lives.

A HUNDRED YEARS FROM NOW

.....IT WILL NOT MATTER WHAT MY BANK ACCOUNT WAS,

.....THE SORT OF HOUSE I LIVED IN,

.....OR THE KIND OF CAR I DROVE

.....BUT THE WOULD MAY BE DIFFERENT BECAUSE

.....I WAS IMPORTANT IN THE LIFE OF A CHILD.

When my father died in 84 a young man I had gone to school with came to me and ask to speak. I said he could. He got up and said my dad was the reason he was where he was that day. (He is an attorney in my home town and is now the DA.)

He said that when he was in high school he was headed down a bad path and that my dad was the only adult in his life that was willing to take a belt to his back side and then hug him. He said had my dad not cared what he was doing he had no doubt in his mind he would have ended up in prison.

My dad could be a hard man that demanded you do everything you could do the best you could do it.

For that I will forever be greatful. I think that to many times we want to make things EASY for our kids. We don't want them to have to struggle. We don't want then to "fail". But in failure there is success. There is learning and growth.