RRRRIIIIPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In "my" Troop, any of the adult leaders or the "green bar" Scouts can take a Totin' Chip, if the rule violation makes that action appropriate. We have a very, very low tolerance for misusing what-we-call edged weapons. (If fact, our Scouts have enlisted our adult leaders on at least two occasions to confiscate knives from Scouts in other troops who were grossly misusing their knives. One at a Camporee and one at a summer camp.)

Lesser infractions, will involve a warning and a discussion of the proper way to use such edged weapons.

To get the Totin' Chip back, the Scout has to go to the SPL and convince him that he has learned his lesson. IF the SPL thinks the Scout should get the Totin' Chip back, then the Scout has to come to the SM (me) and convince the SM that the Totin' Chip should be returned.

This system reinforces proper use of and respect for knives and axes AND reinforces the boy-led aspect of the Troop.

• 1 month later...

There seems to be a fairly common belief among Scouts and adults that if a knife is to be carried or used, a Totin' Chip card must be carried. And if a boy loses his card he may not carry or use a knife or woods tool until he gets a new card.

What is the practice in other troops? Do you require that the new card be re-earned, or can a replacement be issued without testing?

The requirements for 2nd Class rank include all the requirements for the Totin' Chip. If a boy has earned that rank or higher, should a Totin' Chip card be required to carry a knife? Is there any reason for a boy at 2nd Class rank or higher to carry a Totin' chip card?

We've had the "corner policy" in both our Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts for as long as I've been associated, but it's rarely executed because, mostly, the Scouts are trained that their knives, and the tools, can be deadly if not treated properly, and we treat it seriously, and mostly, as a result, so do they. So, it's there, but rarely, if ever, used. We will take away a Scouts tool privilege for a campout if he's abusing a tool or doing something dangerous with his knife. Whether he gets a warning first depends on the infraction.

As far as whether they have their card with them, we don't demand that because, as others noted, if they attained a rank requiring the card, then we know they've earned it. The only exception is those Scouts that have a rank "in process", in which case we'll ask them if they've completed that requirement. Even in that case, we don't demand that they have the card with them.

We keep records on who has earned these things so the card is a useful token of that fact. But we don't make it absolutely essential. The cards are forgotten often and sometimes lost. Happens to me too. Interestingly, our backpack trip last weekend, it was an adult who didn't remember the way to hand a knife to another person. The boys had a good time 'teaching' this skill to the leader (thankfully not me, at least not this time).