I hate to see a good kid turn....

"Taking away their badges is a symbolic gesture but one that puts a notch deep enough to last a lifetime."

I don't think that rank can be revoked.

"A few years ago I dealt with two different cases of Eagle Scouts stealing from others."

Obviously when these guys are reciting the Scout Law, it is just a bunch of words.

I have talked with the Scout Exec. He is not going to take any action, at this time he is happy to leave it with the unit. The Scoutmaster is a good guy, in fact he is an ASM for the Jamboree.

I am not prepared to take these Lads to the Jamboree. While I am upset and mad about what they have done. I am able to put all my emotions to one side and I am left with the fact that these Lads have at this time shown that they can't be trusted. I of course live in hope that they will change. However we start regular Jamboree Troop meetings in the next few weeks and I think that I would have a hard time dealing with these Lads in a fair and unbiased way. I know that the problem is mine, maybe in time they will regain my trust. As it is right now they don't have it.

Eamonn.

I have said a prayer for these scouts, the prayer was to help these 2 scouts find the correct path which to take. Please try and help them find the correct path which to take.

I hope that we would all say a few words to the Big Fellow upstairs for these two boys.

I feel sure that things at home must be very strained. I know that they would be in our house. Of course I have no idea what goes on in other peoples homes.

I am still coming to grips with the fact that "A Scout is to be trusted" While there are some Scout laws that you can just do. Some of them you have to earn. Sure you can be kind and you can be obedient and reverent. But things like Trust and loyal you have to work and earn.

Sad to say as of this minute I don't think that I could trust these guys.

Kids have a strange way of wording things. Most will rarely admit that they have lost something. How often have I heard the yell "Someone stole my socks!!" or even "Someone stole my underwear!!" This of course is funny. It isn't so funny when the lost item is of value. I don't know what I would feel if these Lads were at the Jamboree and someone couldn't find something of value.

I have some hard thinking to do.

Eamonn

Scouts are assumed trustworthy until they lose your trust as in this case. Then, it is their responsibility to earn it back. I think we all start off with giving the guys the benefit of the doubt.

On a camporee several years ago, the staff needed a representative from the troop to be a member of the Gateway judging committee. Our troop "misfit" wanted to be the rep and I said it would be ok if he wore his full uniform (as our representative) when they went around the camp. I thought the responsibility would be good for him since he was frequently getting in trouble with behavioral issues. He didn't have his belt on and when asked why, he said he spilled ketchup on it (which was quite in character for him). The next day, when packing up, I saw his belt- clean as a whistle, with his gear. When confronted, it was clear he had lied. Although a minor event, it gave me the opportunity to discuss trustworthiness with him and that from now on I could only assume he was lying to me, until he secured my trust again. I don't think I ever fully trusted him after that.

• 1 month later...

It seems that I am now taking these two to the Jamboree!!

I had sent them both a letter saying that I was having a problem. But I'm not sure how or what has gone on and they are still going.

Neither set of parents took me up on my offer to meet with them and their sons. In fact if I hadn't questioned an updated membership list with their names still on it, no one would have said a word.

I'm thinking that there has been a breakdown in communications. I have been dealing with the Scout Exec. While the parents have been dealing with the Program Director. Of course the parents were and are aware of where I stood. But have found a way to work around me.

The Program Director and I are great friends, I love him to death. Right now we are trying to work this out.

My argument is that the Scout Exec. left it with me to deal with and I did. While I'm not trying to be anything that I'm not, I was acting in good faith as the Scout Exec's representative.

The Program Director, the poor old Lad who had to fire this pair and talk to the parents on the day that they were sent home from camp. Which I feel sure was as hard on him as it was on this pair. Has a different argument. He says that the Scout Exec. ought to have been the one to inform them that such and such was going to happen. When he didn't it was up to the chartering organization to do whatever. When they opted to do nothing, there was nothing that could be done. In the very nicest way that he can put it he is saying that what ever was going to happen ought to have come from the Scout Exec. Or the Church (In this case) when it didn't these Lads were free to participate in all Scouting activities.

I am upset with the way the parents of the boys have gone about things. It reminds me of how at times OJ will play "But Mom said...."

As neither the Scout Exec. or myself were there when these boys were send home from the camp, we don't know what was said - If anything.And the Program Director was the only one who does know. That door is closed.

I am not going to do battle with the Program Director, I value our friendship way too much.

The Jamboree Troop meets next Monday. I will be having two side meetings. One with the parents of these Lads and one with the Parents and their sons. People have said that I'm good at saying what I really feel - They ain't seen nothing yet.

Eamonn

I have found that there is greatest conflict when expectations are not clear and then are not followed. I assume your SPL will be actively involved in these decisions.

I would make it very clear to the entire Jamboree Troop that there is an expectation that the Scout Oath and Law will be followed. Violations of the Scout Oath and Law would then be handled in an evenhanded and uniform manner, whatever you and your SPL decide that is. If certain Scouts have a history of violating the S O and L, they should be watched closely but handled the same as any other youth.

If they are found misbehaving and they have been told in advance that such misbehavior will result in immediate discharge from the Jamboree, then you must treat all of the Troop the same way and send anyone home for the same level of offense. If you give one Scout a second chance, then all should be given a second chance for that behavior. But don't tell them they will be sent home for misbehavior and then give them a second chance.

Just my opinion.