I have been posting for about a week now and figured I ought to introduce myself. I am in my 3rd year as SM, having served the prior 3 as ASM. This is my second go-around. My first experience was as a Cub Scout, Boy Scout, and Explorer. Eagle class of '78'. Earned my Eagle when I was still 12 (it was passed at National 2 weeks before my 13th birthday).

It is important to note that I earned it myself. My dad...who was scoutmaster during part of the tenure...made sure that I had to go earn the merit badge from another, but he retested me on it after I had passed to make sure I knew it. There was one time where I really didn't study the subject as well as I should. I managed to make my way through it and was signed off. Dad looked at the card, looked at me, and said 'Sit down.' and began to examine me on the subject, merit badge pamphlet in hand. It readily became clear that I did not know the subject as well as I should, so he made me ride my bike back to the counselor, apologize, and ask him to reschedule for another conference. I can guarantee that I knew the subject forward and back for that one and every one since. Being the age that I was (I was one of the youngest in my class, but also one of the biggest in height), I knew that there would be a fair amount of criticism for earning my Eagle at such a young age. I made it a point that by the time I was ready for my Eagle board of review, I had earned it with the then current requirements, but also from the requirements from the earlier years (which applied). My board was grueling. I had several scouters from other troops that sat in on it and was grilled extensively. Despite meeting the challenge, there were still a few who said I should not get it because I was too young. They were overruled and the rest is history.

I went on to get silver and bronze palms, was an active member on our local camp staff and OA. I can say that although I had a lot of fun traveling to Eagle, after the trip was made was just the beginning. I can say without a doubt that I learned more about what it really means to be a scout after my Eagle was earned. My first run through scouts lasted until just after I graduated from college. When my oldest son was wanting to join cubs, I felt I had to give back to help repay all that scouting has given me. Served 2 years as ACM and 2 as CM with son #1 before moving on to Boy Scouts. Am serving my 3rd year as Den Leader with son #2 (currently a Bear) as well as Scoutmaster for son #1.

That having been said, I can definitely say that this second go around is much more enjoyable and rewarding than the first (and I felt I had one heck of a time on that one). I am glad to be in your company and hope to interact with anyone interested. (My apologies for the book, but figured it would give you about as good of an introduction as you could ask...)

-Jeff (Troop 1031)

Jeff --

Welcome to the virtual campfire. Pull up a stump, sit back, and relax. Skeeters aren't too bad here.

I hope you enjoy your tenure as SM. I did 5 years - but work demands said I needed to cut it there. It was some of the best fun I ever had in Scouting.