Excited and Apprehensive.

Hello fellow scouters, My name is Randy. Im glad to be here and hope to learn much about how scouting has changed since my last involvement almost 25 years ago now that I am returning to the scene. Please give me a few moments to tell you about myself, give you my history and explain why Im so excited as well as apprehensive at the same time. This way you will understand who you are talking with and be able to give me some input as I prepare to become re-familiar with this organization we all seem to love so much. To start with I am an Eagle Scout (3 palmer) as of 1982. As a youth I was also a brotherhood OA member and served as an asst. sm at the 1985 jamboree but, let me start at the beginning. I started camping, fishing and developing my love for the outdoors practically before I could walk. Joined and went through cubs and webeloos but never quite got my arrow of light due to moving down south just prior, around age ten. Joined Boy scouts after a recruiting drive at my school at age eleven. I didnt know my dad past the age of five. My mother abandoned me at the age of twelve (two days before christmas). I remained in the same area and in scouting as I went to stay with grandparents. They basically provided me with the necessities and loving encouragement but, never took much interest in and no attendance to any of my functions in scouting or school. I worked every odd job I could throughout my youth to go to camp and outings. Received my Eagle proudly in 1982. although, I along with three others at the time of recognition was the only one to not have any kind of parent /guardian present when I received my award. I earned my 3 palms and turned eighteen in the spring of 1985, Just prior to attending the jamboree as an adult leader. Scouting was my life and anchor. That fall I started my senior year of high school (as I was held back a year for an unknown reason at age seven). This is when my grandfather had his first heart attack and as they were well aged, it was made clear that they just couldnt continue to raise me any longer. Basically, I had to go. It was then that I was forced to try to survive on my own, finish school and provide my own means of living all at the same time. This left no time for scouting any longer. just purely survival. It however was Scouting that allowed me to persevere. Having made scouting my life and practically being raised by the scout leaders it was their example, along with the skills and morals taught to me through the program that gave me the foundation and motivation to take on the world alone. I did ok for myself after making my way into full adulthood and learning some real world, trade skills. All the work and struggling was starting to pay off. It was time to consider getting back into that which I loved so much --- Scouting. It was then that my former Scoutmaster was not only accused but convicted of sex crimes against some of my fellow scout brothers. I was not allowed to testify on his behalf as his attorney said I could be just as damaging as well as helpful. Most of the incidents referred to in the case were times when I was present and I knew for fact that these accusations were false. As I reflect upon this I have to admit that he did put himself into compromising situations and so forth but, I spent a great deal of time with this man and although he was a loving man he was no pedophile. Nor would he have abused these boys. I never noticed any strange behavior and he never made me uncomfortable in any way. Non the less, he received a great deal of time in prison. He maintains his integrity as he continues to profess his innocents. He also refuses to take any of the counseling. For in his mind it would be an admission of guilt to take counseling for something he is not. Therefore he will most likely spend his remaining days in prison. This made me extremely weary about rejoining the scouts. For years I have reflected on this and thought well, Maybe if I were really careful?, never let myself become alone with any boys?, always kept my guard up? naaa I better not... At the same time Im thinking it would be nice to put my son through scouts when I have one. Yeah thats what Ill do. Ill rejoin with my son and just stay alert and cautious of my actions.. Well, Ive been with my wife now for over 15 years and we have not been blessed with any children. So now Im starting to think it will never be again and I wont be able to give anything back to a young boy or the program that gave me everything that made me who I am. I have still remained an avid outdoorsman. Every time my buddies go on a camping trip or fishing excursion with me, they ask me, What kind of tree is that? Can you eat that plant? How many different knots could you use for this purpose? sometimes they do it just to tease. Others times Its a Legitimate query. Anyway, With this past year being the Centennial and the very last year at AP Hill as well as the new WV Bechtel site being built I became more than excited as I have always continued to follow the scouting way of life and maintained my pride for having been a youth participant and continue to be a NESA member. It was then --- This past summer that I have learned of the new policies that have been put into place to protect the boys and adults alike. Youth Protection Training...OMG at the Excitement!! This is great AND long over due as well. This is my ticket. This is my calling. Its time for me, even though Im now 43, to get back into scouting. I can hardly wait to give back just a piece of what scouting gave to me. I have since meet with and spoke to the local D.C. and signed back up. WOOHOO!!! As it would have it, he tells me that just a couple of weeks ago he was approached by a much more recent, former scouter that tells him he has been approached by parents at my very own church and wanted him to look into starting a new troop. The D.C. tells me that I couldnt have had better timing and he is going to give my info to this gentleman. He also happens to be a fellow KofC (although I cant place the name with the face yet). It appears I may be helping to start a new troop at my own church. Cant remember why they dont have one any longer and wasnt a scout there but non the less. WooHoo. I know it will take some time to get things in place but, this gives me time to become retrained also. In the meantime I have been given the title of unit commissioner and start becoming retrained in oct. Although extremely excited Im still a little nervous too. I still cant wait to don on a new uniform though. Any input, suggestions or commentary is much appreciated and I look forward to many wonderful conversations among all of you. Thanks in advance, ----RANBOW----

Greetings and welcome!

In addition to all the "required" training (both online and in-person) for Unit Commissioners - I encourage you to take the training that is required for the volunteers you will provide Unit Service for. And don't skip little things like "Troop Committee Challenge." Even take training like Safety Afloat, and Safe Swim -- make sure you understand what the Guide to Safe Scouting says, so you can help your units deliver a quality & safe program for the young men.

I encourage you to purchase a copy of the "2010 Boy Scout Requirements" book - and read and review the "Advancement Committee Policy and Procedures" BSA Publication 33088 (you can download a copy from: http://www.box.net/shared/edfr4lplnd

Take all the training you can. Attend your annual Commissioner's Conference, and if your Council holds one, University of Scouting, and Commissioner's College (which are normally separate events). After a year or so on the job, consider attending Woodbadge. (I always suggest having a few years on-the-job before attending WB, so you have some real world experience and issues you have dealt with.)

Attend your District Commissioner's monthly Commissioner's Meeting - and work with your Assistant District Commissioner (I hope you have one) to really get a good understanding of your job. And don't forget to attend the monthly Roundtable meetings.

Best of luck, and I hope this new Troop is very successful.

Best of luck to you. You will do great and if you follow the YPT I am sure there will be no issues.

I don't know if it was that we were not too bright in the past, totally naive, or the world has just changed by leaps and bounds to be more cynical and greedy which surpassed our imagination of things to protect ourselves against.. But, BSA is very up-to-date on everything to protect you, the youth and themselves, Now and in the future..

Welcome to Scouting and the forum!

It is to bad you did not feel comfortable rejoining sooner. Youth Protection training is not new. It has been around for many years. I first took it in 1995, as part of my leader training, and it was not new then.

Just a request - Please utilize the concept of paragraphs when posting. It makes it a LOT easier to follow.

Happy Scouting!

Thanks fellows. Like I said, I'm glad to be here.

I too wish I had known about the YPT sooner. My fears have been relieved as a result. I would have become involved again a long time ago had I followed things a bit more closely but, maintained a distance instead, while working through the shock of it all.

I do plan on taking all the training I can in order to get caught up on todays way of doing things. My council does have the University and Commissioners College. They take place at the same time though. It will take place this nov. and I plan to take the Bachelors Comm. Coll. course. an all day event. I will also be taking a three part leader specifics course held once a week at the local council office in oct. as well as joining an outdoor skills training weekend. I have already taken all that is available online.

Once the new troop is ready to become a reality, I also hope to occupy a position that will allow me to participate in outings and help to teach the boys their skills and help them with advancement. I will be signing up as a MB counselor in the near future as well. I'm sure I still have a lot to offer even though I came through during the time of skill awards. LOL

From browsing the forums a bit, I have come to realize that there is a lot to gain from all the "experienced wisdom" contained within. I have also noticed that there are a few posters that have their own opinions about some issues that may need to be taken with a grain of salt. Lastly, I became aware of the need to utilize the concept of paragraphs immediately after clicking submit on my first ever post. I told you I was EXCITED.

Looking forward to making many memories with the lot of you. ----RANBOW----

Well, hindsight is 20/20. Anybody can say : "WEll,you should have done.."

Now, it sounds like you are what scouting was/is/ should be about: You became an adult (argueably) too soon, yet , you survived based on what you learned and experience in scouting!

Looks like something worked the way it was supposed to.

So, want to get back into it? Why not? You can always come back and if you decide it'sa bad idea...walk away, But if you don't, you'l always wonser "what if....".