Adding New Patrol - What Would You Do

• 2 months later...

I've enjoyed reading the advice to BrentAllen. Our Troop is in a similar situation. We jumped from 9 to 24 scouts and right now have two new scout patrols for six each led by a 16 year old troop guide. Our 17 year old is a JASM and the first we've ever had in that position - doing a fantastic job, too. We have an SPL who needs a lot of guidance.

Taking those four away that leaves our core group of scouts as a third patrol - the dynamite patrol. It has six members, grades 6-8.

The two new scout patrols are doing marvelously well. The dynamite patrol is something of a disaster. Our three senior scouts have been the driving force of junior leadership in our troop and it's really the first time the middle school guys have had to step up and take some control on their own. Problem is, four of the guys in the dynamite patrol want to be the guy in charge and no one wants to listen to anyone else. Our current SPL is not much help for the patrol leader, often making decisions for him or overruling him. JASM is trying to work with the SPL and help him learn, but SPL doesn't pay much attention.

In just a couple of weeks, the two troop guides will be leaving to work at camp for the summer, leaving the new scout patrols without a leader. Since these patrols seem to working out well, what do you folks think of us dismantling the dynamite patrol and having those guys split up and move into the new scout patrols thus forming two permanent mixed age patrols? This suggestion has been made by a couple of the boys in the dynamite patrol and I think it's a pretty good one. A couple of those guys that are fighting over leadership would actually make good PLs once they had the position, some more training, and got separated.

I do know that there are personality issues involved and a couple of guys I'd like to see in separate patrols. How much control on that kind of thing do you feel is proper for the Scoutmaster? The new guys, for the most part, are hard working and eager and I wouldn't want to destroy the tenuous teamwork they've built so far by adding in a couple of middle schoolers that spend all their time bickering.

So, you want to split up a patrol where everyone wants to be the boss (not necessarily the leader) and put them into a pair of new scout patrols.

First off, 6-8 is a good size for a patrol, and you are already there. 9+ can work, but it's starting to get too big.

Secondly, and more importantly, what makes you think that splitting up the older patrol will solve the problem? You'll be sticking 3 of these older boys in each new scout patrol. Why won't all 3 of the older boys try to become the boss? And what happens when none of the older boys gets elected patrol leader by the 6 younger scouts who might prefer to have one of their own in charge?

I think the better solution would be to temporarily assign 2 of the boys as guides (not patrol leaders), and make sure they are being supervised considering the current situation. When the original guides return or no guides are needed, send them back to their patrol.

Meanwhile, the dynamite patrol needs to learn to get its act together or they will explode. If they want to split up, tell them to go recruit four more scouts so they can be split into 2 full patrols.

Under no circumstances would I spread the unstable situation to the 2 stable patrols you already have.

This suggestion has been made by a couple of the boys in the dynamite patrol and I think it's a pretty good one. A couple of those guys that are fighting over leadership would actually make good PLs once they had the position, some more training, and got separated.

Yah, so if da lads have suggested it and you think it's a good idea, what are yeh waiting for? An engraved approval from the Founder? :) What to the current TG's think of the notion? I reckon if they like it, you should go for it.

Eagledad talks pretty accurately about this, I reckon. Young guys age 10/11/12 or so are lookin' to figure things out and be a part of da gang. As they get older, they are lookin' to stand out and be recognized. The "natural" thing for boys is often to give da older ones responsibility where they can stand out, and da younger ones a chance to be a part of somethin' without standing out. Those dynamite guys I bet feel like they're the ones "in the know", the old-timers in your troop. They want and need to be the ones in charge and bringin' the younger ones up. As PL/APLs of the other patrols, they'll still get together with their dynamite buddies on da PLC.

Your alternative would be makin' a 5th grader a PL? Forcin' him to stand out and take up all da slack of a departing Troop Guide without anywhere near that Troop Guide's experience, eh? Only way to make that work is to plop an adult into each NSP to coach and support. Or to break up da dynamites and put 'em in TG positions with the young fellows anyway temporarily? So just when they get it figured out and are bein' responsible and the young lads trust 'em you break it up in favor of goin' back to dysfunctional dynamites?

Beavah

Beavah, an engraved invitation from the Founder would be lovely. Where can I get one of those?

Sometimes I post things not necessarily because I'm looking for answers, but to give others, especially new members to the forum, a chance to see that things happening in their Troop are likely not unusual. Perhaps they can then gain some insight on what's been tried and failed, what's been tried and worked, and finally what may work in their situation.

I certainly learned a lot during my first year of merely lurking on the forum before I got up the nerve to actually ask a question.

GWD,

If I were in your shoes, I would ask myself a couple of questions and act based on those answers.

1. Why are the new Scout patrols doing so well? Is it because of the TGs, or because of something else (personalities?)? If it is because of the TGs, will the patrols still succeed without someone in the TG position? Are they going to need someone in the TG position, going to summer camp?

2. Would those boys in the dynamite patrol be better off serving in other positions? Since they all appear to want to be in a leadership position, could you take two of them and make them TGs, and take the other four and let them be QM, Scribe, Librarian, Historian or ASPL? Would the Troop function better with those Scouts in those positions, or as the dynamite patrol?

If you are worried about a new Scout being elected PL over one of the older Scouts, you can always encourage the PLC to set standards for positions (must be FC to run for PL, for example).

Good luck with your decisions!

As an update on our situation, we took the 14 new Scouts and divided them up into 3 groups. We formed the new third patrol with 3 existing Scouts, 2 rising 8th graders and a rising 7th grader. The three groups of new Scouts spent nearly a month with each patrol (March, April, May).

Two weeks ago, the SPL had each boy write down his first two choices for the patrol he wanted to join, and a buddy he wanted to be in a patrol with. The PLC took those ballots and divided the boys up into the three existing patrols based on those requests, and made the announcements last week. I think it worked out pretty well, and we are now focusing on getting ready for Summer Camp (3rd week of June). Tonight's meeting will be a little different, as 4 of our older boys (SPL and PLs) are attending NYLT this week. I'm hoping they have a great week, and they want to incorporate a lot of what they learn when they get back, especially at Summer Camp. I think we are building a strong foundation for the Troop, but only time will tell.