Patrol Method - How do we get there?

Wow, thanks!

All in all, I find myself fascinated by the design of Scouting as it is in BSA. The explanation I've given to others new to Scouting is that it's designed like pie with a missing wedge AND a small circle in the center. The idea is that the CO will supply the wedge and center.

In reality, most CO's don't (outside the LDS troops) and the wedge and center are filled with what's sometimes been called "American Civic Religion". This worked, sorta, in the past, when ACR was a sort of rah-rah nationalistic ethical system loosely based on orthodox Christianity, but sharing orthodox Christianity's ethical values (except grace and forgiveness, of course!).

But, ACR has pretty much been eroded as a national value base. And the UMC (#1 CO in our region) has adopted national values, on homosexuality and so forth, that are in direct conflict with the BSA values of the troops they sponsor. This is, IMHO, a ticking time bomb!

I think there are differences between B-P's views and even early BSA structure at this point, but the nationalistic ethicalism that seems to be at the philosophical center of B-P's Scouting had eroded in Britain long before it did here.

This is why I think evangelical churches and homeschoolers should be a major target of the BSA's marketing, communication and support efforts. These groups as COs, broadly speaking, can bring a 'center' to sponsored troops, even as the US cultural consensus the BSA long depended on continues to dwindle away.

GaHillBilly

I have found from a practical and functional point of view that BP's ideas are spot on. I do not have an SPL (his functionality is not necessary at this point and would be a political, non-functioning position otherwise)and all my PL's are appointed by the SM based on their functional abilities. The tenure of the PL's once they have been assigned is their option. (Boys that don't particularly like their PL can request a transfer into a patrol where they do like the PL, which is in fact a vote with their feet.) The PL's can accept the position and they can resign the position at their discression. If they choose to remain PL throughout their scouting career, it's not a problem.

I haven't had problems with this setup and the boys seem to really like it. The only positions that are not SM assigned at this point are the APL's who are rotated amongst the patrol members to give them all a chance to learn and demonstrate their leadership functionality. The PLs' job is to train their successor by picking the best functioning APL and recommend them for PL of their own patrol or for consideration for a NSP PL position.

There are no term limits on any POR in the troop. A boy that can't handle the job may last only a month, while a good PL may wish to stay PL all the way through his scouting career.

Troop Officer Corps members are recommended by PL's from the boys in their patrol. If he is accepted into a TOC position he steps down out of the patrol system and when he wishes to return to the patrol system he has his choice of which patrol he wishes to return to. If his original patrol is full (8 members) he might wish to consider developing his successor from within it's ranks so a position will open up when the successor is ready.

Sound too political and riddled with favoritism? Sure, but then so does having the boys vote on their officers. Just have to decide which of the two systems works best for your particular situation.

Stosh

• 3 weeks later...

Here is what I did and it worked like a charm

We used to pile 3, 4, or 5 scout patrols and the leaders into ONE campsite. I started renting two or three site at BSA council camps at weekend outings. They are inexpensive and well worth spending the extra 15.00 per weekend (you going to pay the $1 per boy regardless, so you are only renting extra sites. That will only run the boys one more dollar for the trip....

Split the patrols between two campsites and the adults take the third site and walla....you become out of sight - out of mind.

BP said kepe the patrols 150 to 300 feet away from each other! How many SM's actually do that?

They want independence and freedom - then give it to them and watch them perform.

John