Who is an SPL "in charge" of?

Barry,

You make so many incorrect statements regarding what I suggested that I hardly know where to begin. But here is one place we can start

Even though you preach a aged based style program Bob, I always felt it was only result of loyalty to the BSA

Now I hate to be the one to have to break this to you Barry, But Venturing Crews and Sea Scout Ships are just as much a part of the BSA as Cub Packs and Boy Scouts Troops.

You are misrepresnting what I wrote so badly that it would help if you just ask questions and allow me to answer them myself. Your answering for me isn't going to work.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was answered multiple times each one with the various premises of how the troop is set up.

If it's adult-led, the SPL's in charge of whatever the adults tell/let him.

If it's boy-led troop method, the SPL's in charge of everything.

If it's boy-led patrol method, the SPL's in charge of supporting the patrols.

Depending on a number of different variables, anyone of these styles could be used appropriately.

At the present time, for example, I have only 15 boys in 2 patrols, so I have no need for a SPL.

Stosh

As Ed indicated, the boys saw no need for an SPL. The two highest ranking officers are the two patrol leaders. Anything they need to coordinate between themselves they'll just talk to each other. They did decide that because the patrols were made up of all new scouts that it would be good to have a TG to help them with advancement issues. They felt it would leave them more free time to run the patrols if the TG was available to help. That means the only troop support level person is the TG. If there is a need to have an SPL (i.e. the person to go to the SPL meeting at a camporee) the decided they could alternate doing that job. (Good training experience for the two boys who would someday be considered for that position once the troop takes on a few more patrols.)

Stosh

Empowering boys to be leaders is the core of Scouting. Scouts learn by doing, and what they do is lead their patrols and their troop. The boys themselves develop a troop's program, then take responsibility. -

From the Chapter "The Boy-Led Troop", #33009.

I dunno. That sounds to me like youth lead the program, eh? ;) In fact, I'm not sure we could find a place in the SM Handbook that suggests otherwise.

B

What would happen to a troop or pack if they were no adults Beavah?

If I may, Beavah.

To charter a unit you need at least five adults to sign on as leaders. So if there are no adults, no unit.

Thanks Beavah!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10