How are your adult patrol cooks reimbursed?

Our adult patrol does it the same way the boys do menu planning money on Monday. I usually do the adult shopping. I do buy meat items when they are on sale. Boneless chicken breast at 1.77lb boneless porkloin 1.88lb sausage buy 1 get 1 free that sort of thing and keep the reciepts for the items. I was lucky as another scouter donated a freezer to us. We usually have at least 8 adults at 7.00/head.

I make sure the volunteers get a great meal on Sat nite. (no hotdogs) Our troop has a large event grill that is available which makes it nice. There is never a shortage of someone wanting to show of their grilling skills.

If adults decide on something expensive ie:steak then every adult brings their own steak and grub money supplies the rest of the meal. Usually only once a year.

If the patrols are doing foil pouches then the adults will also.

This is my 2 cents.

Kbandit

I'm not and never have been in favor of treating adults like youth members, so I don't see any need for a group of adults to play act being Boy Scouts.

As far as paying for things?

Just divide the cost by the number of people.

In the past if we have had someone who for some reason can't afford the full cost (Maybe a person attending college?) We might ask the other adults to pay a little extra.

As a rule the menu is no big deal, most of the adults I know really don't care if the weekend costs a couple of extra dollars. But we tend not to garnish the plates with white truffles and only serve warm pt de foie gras,on special occasions.

Eamonn.

Yep... paying up front is harder to do because it requires more planning and organization. However, the benefit is you tend to have better plans and organization. People who are financially committed tend to be more reliable too... and if the goal is to have adults set an example for the boys, it sets a better example.

I agree with Stosh to a point that it's not necessary for the adults to have the same limitations as the youth. Let's take advantage of their maturity and experience and cut them some slack.

For example, in our troop, we don't try to stuff two adults in each one of our troop tents. While we may draw up a duty roster, we're not as inclined to follow it because sometimes supervising or advising the youth interferes with who might cook. Meal time can be especially chaotic for the boys especially during a camporee when time is limited. We need to make sure the SPL is keeping the patrols on task so they finish in time. That can distract us from our duty roster.

Somehow I get the vague feeling that when adults cook as "patrol" they are doing less "lead by example" as they are "this is the way to do it." I think the "lead by example" thread is not exactly valid. I find that my coaching the patrols individually, they are more apt to take ownership and retain learning in the cooking process than trying to watch the adults while they struggle through their own problems. "If you were to watch and learn from the adults you won't have as many problems, they have all the answers."

Nope, sorry, I still have problems with that approach/excuse for not dealing more directly with the patrols and the processes they are trying to establish for themselves.

Stosh

"Lead by example" and "this is how it should be done" are pretty much the same thing. Unfortunately, the boys ignore both.

Boys of all ages will come over and see what we're cooking up for dinner. Stew, grilled chicken, whatever and say, "Wow! You guys are lucky, you're having real food." I'll point out that they could have selected any menu that they wanted but none want to put out the effort. Mac n cheese from a box or foil dinners is about as complicated as the want to get.

One mother actually told me that the older boys just wanted to have beans for dinner because they had already done "the cooking thing." No, they are just too lazy to cook.

Prime rib with baked potatoes (both cooked over coals) and salad:

$4 for of the each 10 adults.

Charcoal, dressing, spices, and paper products:

donated...

Seeing two patrols of boys lined up for the chance to eat the adult's leftovers:

Priceless.

• 5 weeks later...

Trevorum was right. KISS. Model the Patrol Method. Yes, the boys may be too lazy to plan properly or cook but, eating steak and baked potatoes on a Patrol budget in front of them may inspire one of those 12 yo boys to something better. Shazam!