Yah, jblake in the other Patrol Method thread talked about how his small troop uses an "Honors Patrol" for leadership boys.

It's interestin' to me how "old" BSA stuff sticks around when it works in a unit.

I'm curious. How many of yeh out there use an Honors Patrol / "Senior Patrol" (which in some cases like jblake's might also be "Venture Patrol") as part of patrol method? How exactly do you set it up - who is in it? Are they also part of a "regular" patrol, or is this their "home" patrol? What have you found to be the pluses? Any negatives?

We have a Greenbar Patrol. This consists of the leaders not in the patrols proper- troop guides, instructors and the like. The ASPL acts as the patrol leader. During meetings, they have jobs to do with the patrols that keep them busy. On outings, they camp and eat as a patrol. The Scoutmaster has let them know that they can plan their own outing, but they have not yet taken advantage of this.

Ed

My son's troop has an honor patrol. It's their home patrol, but they are each assigned duties with the younger boys each day. For example: My son, Little Duke, sleeps with the Honor Patrol, helps them pitch their tent (which is one big communal tent at this point just for fun at their request), they make their own food, they have their own activities not allowed by the younger boys (like a hike each day with just them), etc. This patrol also goes on high adventure activities w/o any younger boys, but isn't really a "Venture" patrol as such. That said, each day the older boys are assigned activities like seeing firewood chopped in younger patrols, tent inspection, food inspection, hike leaders, and even "shower" enforcers if necessary. They also are assigned a scout skill to teach or reinforce each weekend like first aid or knots or orienteering.

The honor patrol is made up of boys that are minimum of Life Scout, at least 14 years old, and already having the camping, first aid, cooking, and a couple of other merit badges I can't remember just now. Most of these boys either have their Eagle already or are working on their projects. Those that are not working on one are still in the patrol, but it just seems that nearly all of them go on to try for Eagle at some point. Maybe the company they are keeping????

Anyhow, this is a group that would have probably dropped out without this patrol after gaining Eagle, so I am all for it. I do think that it is quite easy for them to become disconnected with the younger boys, though, so I think the involvement requirement is necessary. Just my humble opinion.

Mollie

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but this is how we set up our honors patrol.

It has a maximum of 8 members. They are brought into the patrol by invite only. They must be at least Star in rank, age is not relevant.

The SPL is the PL of the honors patrol and the ASPL is the APL of the honors patrol.

Every other member of the patrol must carry at least one qualifying POR. They must excel in their POR. If they are a Den Chief they must work on the Den Chief Award, etc.

They must lead by example.

If they quit the patrol or are asked to leave the patrol, they cannot return.

The underlying goal of the patrol is to be a patrol of all Eagles. The three boys that are now Star scouts in this patrol are aged 15, 13, and 12. They are all up for Life rank at next month's COH. They will begin their Eagle projects this summer.

The next candidate being groomed for the patrol is the APL of one patrol that was asked to take the job of PL of the NBP. The other is the PL of last year's NBP that was asked to be the APL of this year's NBP.

Other boys that are showing leadership skills and dedication to scouting are also being considered at this point.

This patrol isn't a guarantee to being the top dog in the troop. If another patrol steps up to challenge this patrol it can claim the leadership responsibilities of the honor position on their own. If they are successful, their PL will be SPL and their APL will be the ASPL. It should keep everyone from becoming complacent.

Stosh

POR is not a guarantee of the honor patrol in my troop. The Quartermaster, the Scribe, a Den Chief and Instructor are not part of the honor patrol. It doesn't mean they won't eventually get invited into the patrol, but at the present time, they are not. That doesn't mean than next year that these position may pass then to an honor patrol member. Honor patrol is just that, it is not a staff patrol.

Technically the SPL position may indeed pass on to a non-honors patrol member as well. If that happens, the honor patrol will elect it's own PL and the SPL will function as a non-patrol SPL as the position is sometimes observed.

The patch situation is quite unique in the honor patrol. They are the Ravens and carry a Raven flag, but each boy wears a different patrol patch (the old red/black one of an "animal spirit" that they feel akin to.

For us, having a Staff patrol, or honors, is very benificial. First, it cuts down on a logjam of leadership and allows fresh blood to take over as patrol leaders. It builds a patrol that works as an example of how things are done and it keeps the older boys fresh and active. They each act as advisors to the younger scouts and learn different skills as young leaders. They are the SPL's support staff to which he delegates different duties.