I have taken part of the Scoutmaster training and will be finishing it along with the Outdoor Skills training this weekend. After taking just the Fast Start Training and a part of the Scoutmaster training, I realized how weak the program is at the current Troop my son is in.

I have visited some other Troops (5 or 6) and talked with other Leaders to see what they were doing and to look for a Troop to move him into.

One thing I noticed with all the troops I visited was that patrols did not have a strong identity. None encouraged separate patrol outings and I saw very few patrol flags being used. All said that the kids were so busy that the Troop would suffer. If the scouts were busy doing patrol outings they would not have time to do Troop stuff.

From the training and reading I have done, it seems that a patrol should be pushed as the stronger unit. It seems that a troop should be encouraging more patrol outings to make the patrol stronger in which will make the troop stronger even if troop outing suffer. (less attended or not as many)

Am I wrong in my thinking?

I have to note that with the Troops I have visited and with other Scoutmasters I have talked with at training and other events, the more by the book (100% boy run, strong use of the patrol method, etc.) the troop is, the larger, more active and the greater the amount of participation there is and the ones that were struggling were the least "by the book".

Yes, The troop program revolves around the Patrol Method. the troop is only a gathering of patrols. The SPL is not "in charge" of the troop, he is the elected coordinator of the Patrol Leaders. The troop will only be as effective as the individiual patrols.

Just about everything the troop does is actually done by a patrols or as patrols.

You have correctly identified some of the results of proper use of the Scouting Methods.

BW

CNYScouter - I would use the knoweldge of the patrol to help you move your troop forward. I have been trying to look at events in my troop from a "patrol point of view". A strengthening of the patrols will positively effect the troop. Good Luck!

CNY

I agree with the other posters. The patrol is the core of the troop, just like the den is the core of a pack. The stronger each patrol is the stronger the troop will be. If a patrol is struggling the faster the issues are resolved the better, so they do not weaken the troop. My troop has now topped 60 active scouts from the original ten we started with three plus years ago. One of the reasons is our strong patrol program, we use mixed age patrols with excellent success, even though the current thinking is same age patrols, there are good points to both. Mixed age patrols was the original patrol method in the BSA, even though some in here disagree with it, our SE and council completely support our troops use of it. The PLC in our troop are also very dynamic self starters requiring little adult guidance and this also adds to the strength of the patrols and troop.

I know troop 24, I have been to some of the eagle Courts of honor there when I was the Scout Roundtable Commissioner there. Mr. Phillips and I did a lot of scouting together. You have good adult leaders in your troop. You need to ask that question of them and they can help you with some ideas.

troop24spl,

The patrols need to be 'taught' that they can do their own things...This is a prime reason for using the PLC wisely and often (monthly or more)...Ideas need to be tossed out to the boys and then they need to be encouraged to reach higher.

It is far easier to 'start' your 'patrol year' with patrol weekends already scheduled on your annual Troop activity planning calendar (example...troop camp, patrol activity, troop camp, district camporee, patrol activity, troop trip, patrol event...(one or two 'events' each month), etc.). This planning calendar may start out to be no more than 'suggested patrol activities' or even just 'open'weekends where each patrol is expected to come to the PLC with an event plan by 'x-date' to be approved by the SM and SPL...

Adults need to stand ready to support these activities just as they would a troop activity. The patrol parents are needed to help even more than at troop events...This transition will collapse back in on the patrol if adults are 'too busy' to transport or otherwise support these efforts...

As with any new endeavor a considerable amount of subtle guidance and 'failure avoidance efforts' are needed. In the beginning you can not just say to the patrol leaders..."go plan and execute a patrol campout...dismissed"! The troop leadership needs to gauge the skills and 'qualities' of the patrol leaders being asked to do this work and offer support, suggestions, resources and even deadlines for progress reports to assure that procrastination is not allowed to kill the effort.

It can be done, after the calendar is set, however it is just harder to do so...family plans are made adults schedules are more 'set' and it is easier for all to say..."gosh, there is just no more time available"...start on a small scale...maybe even 'sacrefice' a troop 'event' or campout and change it to a patrol weekend...but you won't start...unless you start...so get going!

good luck

anarchist

Patrol trips are a big part of building patrol unity as well as teaching a lot to the leader. In our troop each patrol has one patrol trip. The patrol leader is in charge of schedualing the trip, contacting adult leaders, getting Staff members to attend, planning the menu, cooking, putting together a program and leading his patrol. On these outings members of other patrols dont attend, its strictly for that patrol only.

We also have a lot of comeptition between the patrols. Afterall, boys will be boys. A lot of our sporting events are by patrol, the entire month of April for us is devoted to this, including our olympics, and our next meeting will be without uniform and strictly atheletic activities.

The patrols also compete all year for "Patrol of the year" They win this through a point system, certain things earn them points and at the end of the year the patrol with the most points is awarded Patrol of The Year and their name goes up on the plaque that dates back to the 60's.