Do you count Librarian & Historian as RESPONSIBILITY?

A librarian is a researcher also. Could you ask the librarian to search resources for a game to use after learning how to tie knots? Recommend newly found resources of books or articles to the troop leadership?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our current Librarian is great. He knows exactly who has each merit badge work book, when it was checked out. And when the scout turns in his blue card to the SM he wants the book back. He also took it upon himself this year to check when the work books were updated. He marked each one that was outdated.

Our Chaplin Aid is responsible for the closing of each meeting. He is also responsible for making sure we have some sort of service on Sunday morning when we are camping. He shows great leadership and responsibility.

Yes these PORs are much easier positions. But it doesn't mean that they are not positions that require responsibility. I honestly believe that just like with our own children. We get from them what we expect and what examply we set.

My two cents... You can't modify or make your own requirements, and these are all valid youth leadership positions. So, make the best of it. Challenge the scouts to bring new ideas to the positions. Our troop is over 90yrs old - we could go through six historians if we just have them start scanning old documents and taking digital pictures of awards and building troop histories. The librarian can stay on top of new MB or other advancement changes each year and present them to the troop. It's up to us to make the positions valuable and let the youth earn the pride of accomplishment.

And, be sure you're mixing up the position-holders. Don't let that same scout be librarian for two years - work with the SPLs to be sure that scouts do get placed into more hard-core leadership positions as part of their well-rounded scouting adventure.

Rock on.

Whooo! Cyndi A --- great post! Best reply in the three of four pages of posts I've read so far.

You've provided the adult coaching and leadership which made Troop Historian and meaningful position and valuable experience for a boy, and valuable for the Troop, too.

I'll add another observation that hasn't been made yet:

The Senior Patrol Leader is supposed to appoint these positions, but he has no obligation to appoint people unless he is satisfied that will do a good job. So before appointing a person to a position, the SPL should negotiate a set of goals the new Troop Officer is expected to meet, and then review the performance of the officer to see if those goals are being met. If they aren't, the officer might be given some additional time to perform, or removed from the job if they fail to perform.

So that's my basic idea on how to make these positions meaningful and functional. Appoint only people with a real interest in doing the work. Have the SPL negotiate clear goals these boys are expected to meet. Remove them from office if they are unable or unwilling to perform in satisfactory ways.

Not that it's all that easy. I've been struggling to encourage the Troop Bugler to bugle for several months. His first effort this past weekend proved that he needs.... more practice. I really need to see if I can get the SPL to set some bugling goals with this Scout, such as bugling for the Troop each week.

Seattle Pioneer

Kevin is PL right now. We have elections in August. I ask him if he wanted to run for SPL and he said no. Not yet. But he wants to be Historian. He thinks it would be fun to learn the 48 year history of our troop. Fine with me. This is his ballgame.