Vegetarian Scouts

My son's patrol has two fairly new Scouts who are vegetarians. This troop camps a lot and this has made menu planning difficult -- my son says they will "be having spaghetti on every campout forever." I had a vegetarian child (in college now) so I know it is difficult to plan varied menus to accomodate both veggies and meat eaters. This is especially hard for these boys (all young Scouts) who are inexperienced cooks, have limited cooking equipment and limits on food which is easily transported, etc. If they purchase vegetarian meat substitutes that eats into a significant portion of their budget as these items are expensive.

Anyone successfully dealt with this problem? Thanks.

What kind of vegetarians are these Scouts? If they are lacto-ovo, that will expand the menu possibilities considerably. Also, how fanatic are they about their diet? Are they willing to pick out the meat, or will they eat nothing that has had any meat in it?

I would consult with the parents of these scouts and verify the vegetarian status and check on what the exact restrictions are. We had a scout who claimed to be a vegetarian and we made concessions for him for most of the week until it was Beef Taco Nite, and did he wolf them down! A selective vegetarian is what he was! We should have checked before hand.