I have returned to Scouting after a 25 year absence. I was a Cub and Webelos, but didn't become a Scout until I was almost 15 and turned 18 as a Life Scout. I am now a new ASM in SC and I love every minute of it. I only need to complete IOS to be "Trained" and I am signed up for WB in Oct. 2010. My daughter is a Junior Girl Scout and cannot wait to join our local Venture Crew at 14. I also have a nephew that is wanting to join the Cub Scouts. He hasn't had the best home life and rarley sees his father. I am helping him as much as possible and was wondering if there was anything against my serving as a official adult leader in his Pack/Den as well as serving in my capacity as an Assistant Scoutmaster for my own Troop? Any information would be appreciated.

M. Peeler

Nope, you can be registered in more than one unit. Heck, you can also be registered in any number of district/council level positions.

It all depends on how much time you have to devote, and if you feel you can do all of the jobs well.

Have Fun !

At one point a few years ago I was registered as a Webelos den leader, ASM and Crew Advisor.

Now I'm only SM and Crew Advisor.

(Add to that I am a Youth Leader for my church high school youth group and President and senior military officer for my Venturing Crew's Chartering Organization.)

By the way, it helps if you're not married and don't have kids under 18. :)

Stosh

If you have the time and passion for both programs, go for it! I have 2 sons who are several years apart in age, so I spent several years wearing 2 hats. I don't regret a minute of it.

Don't let the moms drive you away from spending time with your daughter in Girl Scouts either. I've heard of a lot of dads who don't feel welcome in the program. I also have 2 daughters and pitch in to help my wife and her co-leader periodically with the "Scout Skills" type of activities. Girls like fire, knives, and camping too!

• 3 weeks later...