basementdweller, just something to think about. If your son is a cub now, he probably would not meet the requirements to attend (or it would be a near thing) in 2010 anyway. Boys must be either 12 or finished with 6th grade by July 1, 2010, and they must be at least 1st Class rank. Supposing that your boy is a Webelos II right now and will cross into a troop next month, he would have about a 15 month window to adjust to boy scouting, hit the age and rank requirements, and get ready to attend jambo. That seems like a tall order to me. I've never been to a jambo, but from what I hear it can be a pretty intense experience, probably not that well suited to our youngest/newest scouts in most cases.

So, your boy would more likely be looking at attending the next jambo, probably in 2015 if they continue with the 5-year cycles. Chances are good that he'd be 16 or 17 by that time and that makes it a totally different scenario. Not to mention that it gives him several years to save some money toward the cost.

The next Jamboree will be 2013.

Jamborees are on a 4 year cycle, not 5. They pushed this one out to hit 2010. But by doing so, they have it next to the upcoming World Scout Jamboree in 2011. So the next one will be pulled in a year to get back on a cycle where National is 2 years before/after World.

2013- National

2015- World (Japan)

2017- National

2019- World (TBD)

Lisa,

It totally depends on the boy and how comfortable his parents are. When I was an ASM for the 2005 Jambo, probably half of our troop was in the 12 to 13 year old range. We only had a few older than 15. My son signed up as a Webelos, joined a Troop and made 1st Class in time to go with no problem. We had three other boys in our troop who had all been Webelos together who went.

I was more worried about them sharing hotel rooms in DC than I was with them at Jambo. Although, we had hired chaperones at the hotel who stayed up all night sitting at each end of the hallways to make sure no one stepped out of their rooms.

• 3 weeks later...

My son put his application in for Jamboree and hopes that he gets to go. Our cost is going to $1650. I took a full-time position when offered to me and my son knows that he has to pick up the slack on babysitting when his dad is working. Last week he had to watch his brothers while I pulled a double shift, but he know that this is how we are able to pay for Scouting stuff and any other 'extras' that we want to do. He has also been offered a summer job by a local gentleman to help pay for Jamboree. We live in the country so it is difficult for him to get to town and do odd jobs. Yes, it is very expensive but we (his father and I) figure how many times is he (or his brothers) going to get an opportunity like this.

We are moving overseas, and though the Jamboree cost is about $1100, it doesn't include airfare to the DC area. Is the Jamboree really worth the equivalent of three weeks of summer camp cash? (Our potential new troop goes to summer camp at Kandersteg, Switzerland and participates in Inter-Camp every spring. So, I kind of hope T decides not to go to Jamboree.)

You can not compare Jamboree to summer camp. Going to a Jamboree is one of the handful of 'mountain top' experiences in scouting, along with going to a high adventure base.

Keep in mind that the Jamboree is a 2 week experience. Cost of the Jamboree itself is really $800. Everything above that is tacked on by the councils to cover costs of traveling, touring, and the like.

Scouts will experience a LOT of things at a Jamboree that most will never experience at a summer camp or local event. This includes:

* 2 large arena shows

* many other local shows

* Action adventure areas with a wide variety of activities

* the OA show

* national exhibits, including the Venturing Mine

* chance to meet scouts from other countries

* change to meet scouts from around our country

* merit badge midway, with top-level instructors from around the country.

* lots more.

In an earlier post, skeptic wrote "Reminded me of 1959 when I told my parents I wanted to go to Colorado Springs. They said, what does that cost. Cost, for going from So Cal where I lived, for our contingent, was $450, plus $50 estimated uniform expense, and any spending money; so, at the time, about $550."

Just for informational purposes, $550 in 1959 adjusted for inflation to 2007 is approximately $3872 (inflation data for 2008-2009 not available yet).

I believe this is more than the amount many scouts will spend this year.

Also, the $50 estimated uniform expense in 1959 is $351 today, and I believe you could be extremely well-geared for that amount even with new uniforms.

-Melgamatic

Well, after saying that I passed on throwing my hat in the leadership ring due to cost.....they got me anyway. One of the selected ASM's had to back out and I got asked if I would be willing to go in his place. I took two weeks to think it over and finally agreed. So now I have to come up with $6000 instead of just the $3000 for my son to go. My son will be 17 in 2010 and this will be our second Jamboree. He will however be in a different troop than me this time. I think that will be good for both of us. I attend my first Jambo leadershhip team meeting tomorrow.

The last report I heard was that we are within 4 boys per troop having our 3 troops filled.

West Central Florida Council was given two troop slots for Jamboree. Based on only having qualified adults to lead one troop, we gave the other troop back. At this time only about 20-22 Scouts have paid the $10 online fee and only a couple have paid the $100 deposit. We are trying to keep the cost down to around $1500-1800.

Tokala,

Wow!!! The council can fudge the qualifications for adults to some degree. One of my ASM buddies from my home troop is an SM for one of our three contingent troops. But he is well known in the district and council as a can do guy. He has much experience in a troop of 60 boys and runs our NSP of typically 15 to 20 boys. He also Campmasters at one of our properites, has staffed a couple of WB courses and is Program Director of our District Day Camp along with a host of other things. They had no issue making him an SM even though he does not hold the position as the "requirements" state.

As to having so few boys having paid no more than $100, I find that amazing. Your council has to make several payments to national at certain dates along the way and the first of those has passed. Unless your council is flush with excess cash, the regular payments by the boys is what makes up those payments. Our boys are current right now if they have $615 of the $3000 paid. Monthly payments are $170. We are having to contact those who are behind as the council did have to spend money they couldn't really afford to make their payment to national. The majority are current, but we have some who are sitting at their initial $100 down payment. Unfortunately, many of those who are behind are the same folks not taking advantage of the fundraising opportunities we are providing.

Beaver,

It's not all just the qualifications. Going "by the book" only 2 people qualified as SM or 1st ASM. Guess what jobs they got? We have a couple of alternates for 2nd ASM, but that's it. There was very little interest from volunteers in the Council. Some said it was not publicized; however, it was in the Council newsletter for the last 4 months.

The first deadline was January 31 and it was $4K per troop. Council decided that they did not want to be on the hook for the down payment of $4K and the remaining obligation of about $28K. That's a high stakes gamble in these times. See National doesn't let you off the hook once you make the deposit. Pay the initial $100 deposit for a Scout and the Council is obligated to pay the remaining balance, even if the Scout doesn't go and a replacement can not be found.

Tokala,

I understand what you are saying. In 2005, we had 4 troops alotted and could only fill 3 and ended up giving one back. For 2010, we had 3 troops alotted and was worried that we were only going to get 2 filled. The participant cost had gone from $1900 in 2005 to $3000 for 2010. The council gambled and paid the $4000 for the third troop. To date, we only have 10 slots left to fill between all 3 troops.