I was just curious, if one was attending the Jamboree not as a participant, but as a guest, what if any are the advantages/dis-advantages. In other words, if one was to attend the Jamboree as a guest, is it still a good experience?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Information about visiting the jamboree can be found on the web site in the staff guide book.

While I think that visiting the jamboree is a great idea. I have to admit to being upset at the troops that visit and try to sneak in on the activities. This isn't fair to the Scouts who paid to attend.

Eamonn

Eammon,

Are you saying visitors cannot particiapate in any activity..I certainly understand that someone paying $10.00 or whatever to get in should not have the same opportunity's as someone paying full price. Do you normally have to attend in order to wear the patch on your uniform?

Ron,

I believe that is correct. There will be 35 to 40,000 registered participants who have paid nearly $600 to attend. That does not include materials, travel and touring expenses. Imagine all of those people having to stand in even longer lines for an additional 10,000 people who paid $10 to get in and want to participate in the activities.

What is this talk about $10.00 ?

As far as I know (And I just looked at the web page) There is no charge for visitors.

In fact the hours for visiting the Jamboree are extended on the days of the opening and closing shows. The firework display at the closing is worth at least $10.00.

You can of course visit the trading post and buy all sorts of souvenirs. You can visit all the displays and catch the daily shows.

What irks me is the Troops that attend and sign up for merit badges or want to participate without having paid the jamboree fee. Imagine how you would feel if a group of Scouts came to visit a Summer camp each day and didn't pay, but they signed up for all the activities to the extend that everything was filled and the campers couldn't participate. To my mind this is the same as stealing. Then there is the example that is being set by the leaders who allow this to happen.

Eamonn

Interesting. My Troop was thinking about going just as visitors due to the expense. We were thinking about camping nearby for a few days.

Eamonn, I would hate to think that scouts would "sneak" in on some events. That's not fair to anyone and not right. I would hope scouts are better than that...but I suppose theres always a few of them.

Can visitors still sport the patch on their unifrom?

Eamonn,

The $10.00 was just a reference I know of any charge. I had thought about attending w/my son only and staying at a nearby hotel just for a day. I would just like to see what it's like, experience the fellowship and see the opening or closing campfire.

If you are thinking of staying at a near by hotel you might want to see about making reservations now as you can imagine with so many parents and other Scouter's the local hotels fill up very quickly.

As for camping near by. I think that National has asked that no tour permits will be allowed within fifty miles from the jamboree site. I am not sure how that works.

Eamonn

If you read on the Website, it says that families can camp nearby. Only organizations and units can't camp within I think 100 miles. In regards to the patch, my thoughts are that the patch is reserved for those going as participants or working on staff. The patch for youth is smaller that the patch for adults. In my council the cost is $1,200.00 per person. I have 9 of the scouts from the unit I am scoutmaster for going. I would like to think those 9 youth didn't pay $1,200.00 to go and have the hono

The web site says 50 miles which doesn't make much sense. First they tell you to visit and then go see other stuff but they say, "don't stay nearby." So if you want to visit DC and see the Jamboree, you need to stay waaaay far away from one or both. Stay so far away that you have to spend half the day driving.

50 miles from AP hill is Richmond, Alexandria, and Manassas, Va.

Does this mean that a troop from Manassas can't go camping at the local park?

I hear ya on that FOG. So maybe my Troop will camp near by as a scouting family.

IMO the patch isn't a big deal really. If we go, we go. We don't need a patch to show it off. On the other hand, some scouts like to show where they have been. I belive even if they visit, they should still be able to wear the patch. To send a scout for that price could be a burden on some families. $1,200 per person... Most of my fellow scouts, as young men, can not afford this. $1,200 to "officially" attend jambo OR pay bills, college, car, phone bill, apartment bill ect...

I'll be camping near by...hmmm... maybe I should consider being a Lone Scout ;-)

The further away you get from AP Hill, the higher the cost is. I'm in Oklahoma and our cost is $1,900 per participant. I can only imagine what it is for someone from California, Alaska or Hawaii. The patches are for the participants. In fact, so far National has only sent out one patch per participant to wear to stoke interest. They send the council an exact number and will not send additional patches for some time.

The population of the area grows by 40,000 overnight and stays that way for 10 days. It is overwhelming. Tour permits are not issued within 50 miles in order to help alleviate overburdened services.

Often times you will find at least a few activities that don't bother checking to see if everyone is a participant. Really it comes down to how diligent and observant the staff is in that area. I must say I wish the staff would do a better job of keeping visitors out of the participant only activities. The lines for many activities can easily be such that you spend many times longer waiting than in actually doing the activity.

Some areas are supposed to be open to visitors. It would be easy to spend one day doing just those things, particularly if it is the day of one of the shows.

I attended one day of the 1997 Jambo with my home troop as a visitor. I believe it was opening ceremony day, or whichever day Clinton came to speak.

I also attended the 2001 Jambo as a member of the council contingent.

I had more fun going as a visitor, but that was largely because the opportunities for touring are much better with a small group. The troop only had to find places that could take 15 or so at a time. The council could only send the contingent to places that could handle groups of 120 or larger. Also, the troop actually planned its touring schedule and made advance reservations. The council contingent didn't have any touring planned in advance. Instead, we just drove into down town DC with 3 tour buses and started looking for places to go.

Also, it was far cheaper to go with the home troop.

In both 1997 and 2001 the troop stayed in Fairfax County VA. There are locations there for low cost camping that allows for easy access to both DC and to Jambo.

As for wearing the patches, only those who are registered participants or staff members may wear the Jambo patch. I happen to agree with this rule. Perhaps they should create a visitor patch.

I would also note I think the 50 mile rule is moronic at best. If the Jambo was open to as many people as could pay, that would be one thing. However, there are a limited number of slots in each contingent. As such, there are many who would like to go and could even afford to that are not able to do so. I think any troop that wishes to travel to the DC area and visit Jambo should be encouraged to do so.

All that being said, I would strongly encourage everyone that has the opportunity to go do Jambo as either a participant or as staff. It is a unique experience. There are many opportunities to go to DC and the surrounding area, but few to experience Scouting on the magnitude of Jambo.

Oh, and can anyone explain why Jambo costs so much?

NOAC this year the Lodge contingent fee, including NOAC registration fee, hats, shirts, patches, transportation, and some sight seeing, is less than the registration fee for Jambo. Yet at NOAC the program is just as intense, and the housing is better (air conditioned dorm rooms) and the food is better (or at least more expensive, cafeteria style meals). Yet Jambo, which should have added advantages from economy of scale, and reduced costs in housing and food, is actually far more expensive. It doesn't make sense to me.