Scout Revolution: Scouts or Military?

MBC for 5 badges.... 3 of them the citizenships.... and you wonder WHY you never get a call?

While I completely support the intent of the citizenship MB's they are the most boring, crappy badges out there. If they were not eagle required, I highly doubt any scout would do them. While the content is important for a scout to know, the method is terrible - just more classroom homework = the last thing a scout wants to do.

As fort the OP - I'll have to look at the website when I get home (no FB from work), but I find the whole para-military / scout connection humorous... being that the founder was a military man, and how much BSA likes to use the stats on how many astronauts and military cadets / generals were scouts as youth... you can't have it both ways. Use the machismo and patriotism of military service as a recruiting tool, but then disavow that you are a para-military organization.

I echo the setiments regarding the firearms policy from BSA. calibre and shooting only at human figures "in a re-enactment" only and then banning squirt guns is policical correctness run amok. The fact you can't take scouts to lazer tag or paintballing is just plain stupid. We (BSA) wimps out when compared to most other youth activities at this point in time. A hike? Boring... A game of tracking the fugitive? great fun!

Now, I'm not advocating for SEREs training for Boy Scouts, but I see no reason a scout couldn't or shouldn't get the expirience of firing an AR type firearm. I got corrected on the range by a BSA rangemaster for refering to the "rifle" as a weapon. Hey, I'm ex-military and if it can kill someone, its a weapon and should be treated as such.

When I was a scout - we had a "survival minicamp" as part of our local council camp. Those boys who wanted to (usually 1st class and up) - would go on a three day susrvival hike and live off the land... we ate berries and fished in the local river. At the end of day #2, we were brought to an encampment with live chickens (provided by a local rancher). We were expected to catch, slaugter, prep, and eat our chicken in two man teams! (one bird for every two scouts) I can't even imagine the outrage if a local council camp tried something like this today!

I agree 100% with Basement... a day on a well run range is far safer than a day on the mountainbike trails!

I find the whole para-military / scout connection humorous... being that the founder was a military man, and how much BSA likes to use the stats on how many astronauts and military cadets / generals were scouts as youth... you can't have it both ways.

All true, but, as Baden-Powell said in 1912:

"I've seen enough of war to want to keep away from the military idea. Woodcraft, handicraft, and all those things are invaluable. First aid and all that goes with it is excellent; but the boys should be kept away from the idea that they are being trained so that some day they may fight for their country. It is not war-scouting that is needed now, but peace-scouting. The explorers, the pioneers, the persons who are always on the lookout to do something for the benefit of humanity, are the ones who count, and that should be the motto of every boy scout."

http://books.google.com/books?id=AYlGAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA197&lpg=PA197&dq=%22I%E2%80%99ve+seen+enough+of+war+to+want+to+keep+away+from+the+military+idea.%22&source=bl&ots=r9ik96kV3F&sig=Gx_HAvaMTSCPkKnEKpJbMqqz6Qw&hl=en&sa=X&ei=OtFfUP6kF4yL0QGe84DACQ&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=%22I%E2%80%99ve%20seen%20enough%20of%20war%20to%20want%20to%20keep%20away%20from%20the%20military%20idea.%22&f=false (Apologies for the long URL)

"citizenship MB's they are the most boring, crappy badges out there"

In general, yes, but you've never been to one of mine. :) And they ARE required for Eagle, so you'd think some kids don't want to spend their time at summer camp writing stupid essays so they can get checked off on the MB because they can sit and write.

These guys are raising money through Kickstarter to pay for the creation and publication of a lesson plan for Wilderness Survival Merit Badge. Not a big deal IMHO, though I won't pay for it.

I do think that WS can be a great badge, and that it needs a rewrite to reflect both LNT AND the goal - survival in the wild (not just the woods - the wild). It is still my most memorable badge, due to having a farmer drive up with live chickens for us to kill, clean and cook to pass the badge.