Troop Meetings on Sundays

Philosophically for me Sunday is church time and family time. We even have "family movie night" Sundays and make the kids do homework on Saturday so we just "re-create" on Sunday. But that is just us. I know groups who meet all sorts of different days--it is all really just an experiment to see what works. I do know a lot of folks have a lot of opinions on nights--there is never a perfect one.

My pack has meetings on Fridays.

Last year when I was just getting started with the pack, my son's Tiger leader palnned for the den meetings to also be on Friday nights. It's the only night she can do it. At first I was very resistant to the idea, because that means that almost every Friday of every month is tagged for scouting. My wife didn't like it either.

Well, it didn't take me long to appreciate it. No worries about getting home quick for bed on a schhol night. No worries about when to do homework, etc...

I see the advantages of Sunday evening, but it is almost as bad in my mind as a school night, with the added negative of family trips, etc. I personally like to be home Sunday evenings for quiet time before the week begins.

When I was a Tiger leader, I had meetings on Sunday afternoons at 1. It worked well because the boys were young enough that most of their sports activities were on Saturdays in our town. They came after lunch so I didn't have to serve a snack and they were still awake enough to participate.

My other Tiger den was on Friday nights which I enjoyed as well.

When we first joined the Pack, meetings were on Weds. When we got involved, we changed it to Friday evening and our monthly attendance soared. We do all recruiting activities on Friday evenings - usually a BBQ in September and again in June, as a welcome and a year end. Our packs and troops don't meet in the summer as many people here do sleepaway camp and/or family vacations but we do have a family camping trip at the end of August at a camping area which is very close to town. We use it as a lure to get people to sign up in June because we open it to anyone who is registered as of July 1, even if they've never attended a den meeting yet.

The troop has been meeting Sunday nights since before I was involved. At first it does take some getting used to. The idea of having to disrupt my Sunday was tough, now it's just part of my schedule. I think it may hurt our recruiting somewhat, the thought doesn't sound all that appealing to 11 year olds and their parents. However once they get a little older and busier, that all changes and I think we retain better than most troops.

We don't meet on weekends were the kids have off from school on a Friday or Monday so it doesn't cut into family trips. We camp once a month so we don't meet on those Sundays. I think we have more than enough meetings at about 30 year. We're a quality not quantity troop. Again, I think that helps on retaining scouts.

The only down side is some church youth groups meet Sunday afternoons and evenings, it's never been a problem for us as far as I know.

What I like most is it doesn't conflict with other activities, sports, jobs and girlfriends, something that we shouldn't only accept but encourage.