NY Troop Trailer Registration through Maine

What Qwazse said.

Find a Committee Chair. Being a one women show is not working.

Prioritize. You do not need to worry about a trailer that 1) you have no car capable of hauling, and 2) you will not need until your Troop at least triples in size.

Use it as storage if you must, but it does not need insurance or registration if it will not be on the road.

>>"We do have some really cool cooking stuff that will never get used unless the trailer goes though."

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Troop history, they don't want to fold Basement. Even the ASM was a part of it and wants his son a part of it. These people except for one would have a problem with the other Town Troop that is branch off from ours. I had at one point thought to disband the Troop when the charter was late. If its late again next year, I will push for disbandment.

Its right that a CC is needed. I have seriously thought of going over to the CC role and letting the ASM be the SM. I think I have more strengths in the CC role than the SM role. I would still attend Troop meetings and help out where needed for the ASM.

Qwasze.. NICE 'painting' humor... *laughing

Been following my threads have ya??.. *grins while laughing

Eagle.. this pays to know.. THANKS! Ours was not done that way and I want that in writing for now and the future. I want our Charter as the mailing address since they are stable unlike us so things would be directed to the right place plus seen to. who knows maybe they would even PAY for the registration and just take the whole train off my head... *grins

By the way our trailers are all registered as being owned by "Troop 123, Hometown, PA", not in the CO's name. The troop pays all insurance on the trailers too.

Equipment chair become the CC?? Can't see it happening with this newbie. He is a stay at home dad with 3 kids who are ALL involved in extra curricular activities. Sometimes one kid is involved in the same sport for both town and school in the same season.

I think when ALL is SAID and DONE, I'll run over to the DMV mobile wagon and ASK what the cost would be to register our trailer, put it in writing and take it to the committee and insert into the budget plan I'm working one with the yearly preliminary calendar. These people have no concept of expense and income for this troop. Did I tell ya we are planning an Eagle Banquet because its the way they've always done it. Troop pays for the whole thing.. *scratching head while looking at the Troop funds amount. I figured the Troop provided just a cake in such and such a size and the award ceremony while the rest was the parents responsibility just like in my son's old troop...*grins

Spaghetti Diner fundraiser.. brought in 1200 but the Troop funds got 180 while the scouts got over 1000.. *grins I had no idea they did this 'work hours' thing. I knew about ticket sales as that was mentioned plus that is how my son's troop did it too. The work hours was a whole new thing that wasn't mentioned until after the Spaghetti Dinner. I like the idea as it gives the scout money toward their summer camp but at the same time how does the Troop funds grow?

Yeah, yeah, yeah I got a lot on my plate. At least we may have anew treasurer on board who is ASKING the exact same questions I am... *laughing Our old treasurer wants O U T.

By the way.. I come to the forums to save me work hunting/ googling since there is so many that are EXPERIENCED here. Love how you guys help in redirecting me back to the core issues: program planning again and again.

So DS

How many registered adult leaders do you have and what are their roles??????

My problem is most of my adult leadership is 50+ and simply too old to camp.

I have a CC, 30 year member, COR,founding member, Treasurer founding member, 4 committee members, Old troop eagles, SM, 2 ASM. Only SM and I are fit/young enough to camp.

Spaghetti Diner fundraiser.. brought in 1200 but the Troop funds got 180 while the scouts got over 1000.. *grins I had no idea they did this 'work hours' thing. I knew about ticket sales as that was mentioned plus that is how my son's troop did it too. The work hours was a whole new thing that wasn't mentioned until after the Spaghetti Dinner. I like the idea as it gives the scout money toward their summer camp but at the same time how does the Troop funds grow?

It's like my troop has an evil twin! Except, we don't compute the hourly rate in advance. SM gives the committee a budget for the upcoming year and Treasurer estimates how much the general fund needs to maintain that budget with a "small cushion". After paying dinner expenses, ticket commission, and the general fund, we divide the remaining funds raised by total shifts worked and allocate to scout accounts.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so HAPPY!!!... *grins

Met with my Unit Commissioner (UC) and Charter Organization Representative (COR) about the trailer issues. The COR stated that the trailer cannot be registered in Maine.. YAY!!... *doing the HAPPY dance.

COR is going to take charge of all the trailer issues and take it out of the hands of the Committee and the Troop. We will still be able to access it but no changes can be made to it until AFTER we stabilize and increase the membership of the Troop. Now I can get all on the same page and refocus their attention of 4 specific goals for the overall picture of the Troop's revitalization... *smiles

THANK YOU all for your VALUABLE advice, suggestions, solutions, perspectives, and etc.