AoL - Cub scout or Boy Scout requirement?

CHLees3rd,

Yeap! Every meeting starts at exactly 7pm-ish sharp :) with colors. They recite The Pledge of Allegiance, recite the Scout Oath, then recite the Scout Law.

They breakaway by patrol and do patrol stuff until 8pm. They play games until 8:15 or so, then we all gather for flag retirement, troop announcements from PLC, then troop announcements from SM, CC etc... Then we circle up for presentation of any awards or rank earned by the scouts.

So yeah, the oath and law are something that we all do every week.

Jeffrey H,

"There is no future re-testing to determine if "they really earned it."

Yeah I know. When you qouted me as saying:

"

So anyways, here we are: I have a Boy who really shouldn't have been given his AoL. I say given, not earned."

....you left out the very next line where I also said:

"

Now here's the thing: I am not going to challenge him, his parents, his former DL or anybody about his AoL. That's done and over with. Will not benefit anybody if I do."

Gotta point out that back in the ooooold days, the Scout "Oath" was also referred to as the "Scout Promise". Many faiths do not allow the making of "oaths", but what we as Scouts pledge to do isn't really a "judicial oath" (swearing BY something) but a personal promise, and that is ok.

""On my honor....""

Making sure the Scout understands what he is expected to promise to be and do is not so bad. No surprises.

Now, we have to exhibit that behavior for them to emulate. Can the adults live up to the Scout Promise?

Scoutfish..

Forget what happened in Cub Scout and the AoL. Its done and over with and doesn't concern you or your Troop. What happens within your troop is your concern.

Several people have explained the rank advancement on the proper terms are Scout Badge and Tenderfoot Rank.

Basement linked to Scouting.org. I prefer to link to meritbadge.org. Bookmark them on your computer and be sure to read them EVEN if you were a Scout before. There ARE changes in the wording and we are not allow to modify this in any way. Some as recent as 3 years... *winka

What we are allowed to do is HELP a scout who processes things differently and/or is struggling. (You mentioned the Scout's father was 'neighboring CM' but I was confused if he was his son's CM. If dad was son's CM that to me is a clue of possible a 'special needs scout'?)

Your scout has been coming and reciting yet still doesn't know it..Correct? Did you ever think that he has a problem hearing and reciting? Maybe he needs to read and recite. I do for obvious reason. I'm deaf. Some has a problem tuning others out so they are listen but not really reciting to move it to memorization. Post up a poster with the Oath, Law and Pledge. Work one on one with ONE thing, Oath or Law, weekly until he knows it. Some scouts have a problem with information overload or attention deficiency (ADHD). The knot tying can be an example of ADHD. Let him master the skill individually then put him in the group or redirect him to teach another or show another leader as if he was teaching that leader or parent even.

Another thing too, Dad was Cubmaster not Scoutmaster. Cub Scouts not Boy Scouts. They are two different things and Dad Should be treated like a parent not a Scouter as he is a newbie to this to. If he was CM, he probably NEVER read the book like his son's den leader did so DON'T expect him to read it here. Have a nice little talk while opening his son's book for reference. While reading the book and explain the the requirement his son needs to practice at home. Hopefully after a couple of hands on redirects from you the father will see that 'THE Scout handBOOK' is important to him and his son... *winka

Our goal is to 'Prepared Scouts for Life'. Get it across the the father (if he raises a fuss) using work examples that jobs and raises are 'earned not given' and the same thing holds true in Boy Scouts. (I tried to go back through the forum to get the exact quote that I saved on my other computer)