How many forum members does it take to change a light bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been

changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the

light bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ...

another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light

bulb" is perfectly correct

19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take

this discussion to a light bulb forum

11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light

bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum

36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to

buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this

technique and what brands are faulty

5 People to post how we should only use the light bulbs that were in use in 1912.

7 to post URLs where one can see examples of different light bulbs

4 to post that the URLs were posted incorrectly and then post the

corrected URLs

13 to post "+1," or "well said."

5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they

cannot handle the light bulb controversy

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

13 to say "do a search on light bulbs before posting questions about

light bulbs"

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and

start it all over again.

7 to post that in keeping with being thrifty, conservation, and respecting the evironment - that you should use the new energy saving flourescent "swirly" bulbs and set an example to those around you.

9 will post that the new bulbs are actually more dangerous due to what happens when they break and how the damage landfills when not disposed of properly,

8 will post about how the new bulb is a result of government intrusion and politics and a blatant abuse of government power

1 will again ask that the thread be moved to I&P thread.

1 will question why we are using light bulbs to begin with because BP never used light bulbs , but used a kerosene lantern instead! :)

Awesome post!

I have been replacing high usage bulbs with LED bulbs. For indoors, over the past 2 years I have compared Home Depot EcoSmart and Phillips and FIRST (robotics team fundraiser) e-watt LED bulbs. All were dimmable, same price $20, and are still working. The FIRST e-watt bulbs were brighter and suitable for both work or hallway areas. I prefer the winter white spectrum color myself.

For outdoors, the HD EcoSmart LED floods (~$40) have logged long hours in all weather without replacement; the previous GE halogen floods would have been replaced at least twice in the same period. I did this experiment last summer with a dual floodlight fixture on the west side of our house. I replaced bulbs - one GE 90 watt halogen and one EcoSmart LED (i think a 15watt but 90W equiv) - dusk to dawn operation. The halogen ran much hotter with a warm sunlight color while the LED was a cool moonlight. The latter definitely cast more light. On the house in the morning, the species of moths on the halogen side were different than those on the LED side! And these same results repeated through the summer. Pretty cool. By fall, the halogen burned out and I replace it with a LED. Both LEDs are still working.

:)

If this forum was the "same" as others I would not be here. I've shared what little I know, opined some, and learned much from the many posters here.

My $0.02

36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty

Wow...proven true right before my very eyes!

Well, Brew, to continue to prove it true:

"4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

If memory serves, I'm pretty sure that if you slog through the archives, you'll find this very thing has been posted and commented on before and you know what that will make you, right?:

"1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and

start it all over again." (or close enough)

BTW - welcome to the forums! And don't worry, we're Scouts/Scouters - old jokes are standard in Scouting - I've heard the same campfire skits for the last 40 years.

Nice - a few more:

3 to argue that the light bulb wouldn't have burned out in the first place if more money had been spent on light bulb maintenance rather than professional's salaries

5 to question why the adults are changing the light bulb, rather than the Scouts

1 to blame the light bulb failure on "leadership skills experts"

2 to remind us that light bulbs should be placed no less than 300 feet apart

6 to question the Youth Protection implications of inadequate lighting, and to debate when to call the Scout Executive

3 to ask us where in the G2SS it requires us to have light bulbs at all

4 to wonder whether the Scouts actually care about light bulbs, and why we insist on adequate lighting if it's not something the Scouts want, and we're all in it "for the boys"

100% of all BSA Trainers to patiently explain to newbie forum members that:

1) The 21st century definition of "light bulb" is the "EDGE Method."

2) Discussion about "changing a light bulb" is a waste of time because the EDGE Method has been used by human beings since the invention of speech.

3) "Screwing in" the EDGE Method is forbidden in the Guide to Safe Scouting's chapter on light bulbs.

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

http://kudu.net

If memory serves, I'm pretty sure that if you slog through the archives, you'll find this very thing has been posted and commented on before

Maybe it has, but the search function on this site takes me to the dreaded "The page cannot be found" 404 error...which does make looking thru the archives a real slog!