How to deal with hate.

Really, Eagle732?

You did start a thread that asks: "How do we deal with this?"

The reason that the BSA is so politically conservative is that liberal institutions in America never embraced camping as a way to teach values to their offspring. In fact in 100 years, the peak number Unitarian and/or Universalist Troops in the BSA came in the period after 1972, when Wood Badge declared open war on Scoutcraft.

"In the Boy Scouts I learned to camp, which I hated and still hate. And I learned how to build a fire which I have never needed or desired to do. My Scoutmaster was a pleasant enough old coot, and the hate and disgust I took away from Scouting was accidental."

That says it all.

Liberals who hate camping use the BSA's membership policies as an excuse to keep their kids away from camping.

Conservatives who hate camping become Wood Badge Staffers. :)

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

Back when I was young and after my terrible luck with women dumping me, I got used to it. Now my wife keep me sharp. Let them vent for their own good. Holding it in..they could go blind or something.

No...that's the result of something else....use jblake47's response after they vent.

OGE, You ARE a liberal AND the reason Western Civilization is going to rot and collapse. And I love you for it. Have a nice day.

As for Kudu, "Penn sounds like a "leadership skills" expert!"

Thanks. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing...good one!

Not so sure that I'd use the word hate?

It seems to me that when it comes to Scouts and Scouting, not just the BSA, but other Scouting organizations / Associations, most of the time there isn't any middle ground. People tend to either support what they think is going on or have it in for what they think is happening.

A lot of people really have very little idea what real Scouting is all about.

A few years back I was asked to contact some very wealthy people and ask them for large donations.

I was surprised how little they knew and understood about Scouts and Scouting.

Maybe part of the fault was mine? I tended to take it for granted that "Everyone" knew what we did and try to do.

At the risk of upsetting some forum members. I think when it comes to asking for big donations, people don't want to hear about Scoutcraft and skills. They like hearing about character building and making ethical choices. - They don't want to think that their money is being used for some kind of a camping club.

I'm sometimes teased when people find out that I'm involved in Scouting.

I hear about "Liking little boys." - Sad thing is that sometimes this garbage does come from people who were themselves Scouts.

A lot of times when I take the time to explain what Scouting is really about and go over some of the things that we have done at the local level, this bring people around.

Of course there are some people who are never going to change. They have closed their mind and nothing will ever open it.

Ea

Kudu,

I misunderstood your point.

I know how to deal with people who hate, I just don't understand it. I mean I might not like what some groups are doing but I don't go out and slander them with untruths. I don't attack them personally.

I guess what I was asking is not how you deal with the people who hate you for what you do but how do you deal with being hated when you know in your heart that the things that you are being accused of because of your association don't reflect the way you are.

And here I thought maybe this was going to be a thread about what to do when boys regularly hurl racial insults at the only minority or mixed-race kid in the troop, and the adults in charge fail to see the problem with that. What to do when ASMs make extraordinarily offensive comments to each other, in front of scouts, about strangers they see on the street, based on the assumed national origin or religion of those strangers. What to do when scouts mercilessly taunt (and not in a friendly way) the only non-Christian kid in the troop based on his religious dietary restrictions. Or how to respond to deeply misogynistic comments made by adult male leaders in the presence of scouts and female leaders. Because all of those, I've seen and dealt with, and felt frustrated, angry, and in some instances, personally betrayed by. It would have been useful to know how others deal with those sorts of hate.

I don't like Penn & Teller's brand of so-called "humor." I do like camping and scoutcraft. (and heh heh, I'm a liberal. Don't tell Kudu.) But I don't think what you're talking about is "hate."

There is plenty of ignorance to go around...both on the part of the BSA and those who "hate" us. I, myself, wrestle with the dichotomy every day. Do I turn my back on the organization which defined me as a youth, now that I know of their ignorance? Or do I acknowledge the good and try to downplay the rest? I have dear friends who are gay and some who are atheist and some who are liberal Democrats. We have civil discourse, and always agree to disagree. But we still love each other.

I can add to L-bob's laundry list. Shoot, some folks have typed some prejudicial stuff about venturers on these forums, and I have to suck in my breath and remember that most of you haven't had a sit-down with the youth in my crew.

There are only a couple ways to deal with this sort of thing.

1. Let your actions speak louder than your words. That is, have fun camping and hiking. And if a cuss-of-a-magician's little old lady happens to need help across the street, lend her a hand.

2. If you are ever welcomed into a dialogue say "I really feel sorry for you, because it sounds like you're missing out on a lot of great stuff."

Actually, I've only seen #2 done. Myself, I like debate too much to be that compassionate with words. Lately, I've worked on keeping my mouth shut and focusing on #1. It seems to help.