Does Varsity have any use for LNT??

OK weird question.. part of a WB team project. Our project has to touch on all program types (or most, because it doesn't require Sea Scouts) CS, BS, Venturing, Varsity.. My group wants to do LNT..

CS front country LNT..

BS/Venturing - front & back Country..

Varsity..?? I don't know enough about it.. I know it is sports related. But is it all indoor sports or any outdoor sports? LNT on the ski slopes?? Do they every camp around an sport event they go to?

While were at it LNT for Sea Scouts, if anyone has any ideas.. We need the 4 but can add in what we want..

Yep!

One of the methods of Varsity Scouting is the Outdoor Method, and recommended activities for Varsity Scouts include backpacking, whitewater rafting and snow camping - all things with a need for LNT.

Thinking abouut Sea Scouts, why couldn't some LNT principles be adapted? Boat it in, boat it out comes to mind.(This message has been edited by calicopenn)

Even when Varsity teams play more traditional sports, LNT principles can still apply. Ask question such as: How can you minimize the impact on a soccer field from cleats and field markings? How can fishermen practice LNT? What's a low-impact way to set up an archery range, or the best location for a portable volleyball net on a campout? ... etc.

LOL.. Like the "Boat it in, Boat it out".. I was just thinking "no trash in the water", but yours is just perfect!

Maybe for Sea Scouts there are choices between more eco-friendly cleaning solutions while swabbing the deck?..

Glad to see Varsity isn't just basketball & baseball.. Great! we CAN do something with this!.. But the LNT for the sports fields are good suggestions too.

Moose....

LNT is more than just about front or back country......

It truly is a way of life. We need much more LNT in the urban environment...... I became a trainer last fall and that is what I teach my scouts.

Varisty, yes......Throwing water bottles around a dug out no.....spitting sunflower seeds all over the ground in the dug out...... Digging up a playing field with cleats no........beating up a fence with a ball bat or ball no...... Tearing up the net on a basketball hoop, hanging from the rim........

Sports fields are more utilized than our camps and to most youth a much more valuable resource.

It is another resource we need to be stewart's of.

"Varsity..?? I don't know enough about it.. I know it is sports related. But is it all indoor sports or any outdoor sports? LNT on the ski slopes?? Do they every camp around an sport event they go to? "

Varsity really isn't sports related. This is a miss assumption because of the name.

Varsity Scouting is just Boy Scouting aimed at a little older age group (14-18). it uses sports terminology, but the program is basically the boy scout program. Teams can include sports in their program, but that is NOT their focus. Teams can and should be doing high adventure stuff, which means they need to do LNT.

Thanks emb021 - I really did not know that. I just have foggy memory of someone once telling me that they earn Varsity Letters and it was sports related. But who it was, and if it was someone passing on bad info due to the fact it was poorly explained to them, I don't know..

Since I have no love of (team) sports, it didn't interest me to go any further with it.. That and the fact that everyone says it is only LDS that use them. (Although I did hear anyone could use them, just no one does.)

"Thanks emb021 - I really did not know that. I just have foggy memory of someone once telling me that they earn Varsity Letters and it was sports related. But who it was, and if it was someone passing on bad info due to the fact it was poorly explained to them, I don't know.. "

Yes, there are Varsity Letters, but that is part of the add-on of the program for that age group. But Varsity Letters are based on earning Boy Scout ranks, which Varsity Scouts do.

"Since I have no love of (team) sports, it didn't interest me to go any further with it.. That and the fact that everyone says it is only LDS that use them. (Although I did hear anyone could use them, just no one does.)"

Varsity Scouts is heavily used by LDS because it better fits into how they organize their youth. So for LDS scouts, 11 years old are put into the new scout patrol, 12-13 are in Troops, 14-15 are in Varsity Scout Teams, and 16-17 are in Venturing Crews (boy only Crews, btw).

I suggest that everyone go study the Varsity Team Handbook. I think you will find out its not the Boy Scout program for older boys, its not just sports related, although thats an option.

You will find out the program has its own advancement

program and much of the program is High Adventure base.

Gary,

Gotta remember that prior to 1995, Varsity WAS focused on sports. If you wanted to do HA activities like Climbing and Rappelling, Canoe Camping, etc, then you had to be part of a venture crew, now called a venture patrol, within a troop, and not a Varsity Team. It was after 1995 that the HA pins became available to Varsity Teams, and the sports pins became available to the venture crews, now called patrols.

I have been mulling over whate BasementDweller said.. It makes sense, I mean writing Graffiti on a Brick wall certainly leave a trace (if not a splash).. But, it is still a different way then how I looked a LNT.

Always knew that the two were related, but always looked at LNT as conservation which is more outdoor-sy.. Sort of like cleaning up trash on the roadside is a service project, while picking up trash hiking in the backwoods is LNT.. Both are picking up trash, but one place is already well touched by humans, where as the other you want it to look like humans had never disturbed the place.

But there is a hint of what BD says in the explanation of the outdoor code..

Be considerate in the outdoors

I will treat public and private property with respect.

I will use low-impact methods of hiking and camping.

I always looked over that as public & private lands that you may be hiking on. Not public & private property as in baseball fields and public restrooms..

See old dogs can come around to different viewpoints..

"Gotta remember that prior to 1995, Varsity WAS focused on sports. If you wanted to do HA activities like Climbing and Rappelling, Canoe Camping, etc, then you had to be part of a venture crew, now called a venture patrol, within a troop, and not a Varsity Team. It was after 1995 that the HA pins became available to Varsity Teams, and the sports pins became available to the venture crews, now called patrols."

Eagle92, you are actually confusing 2 different programs.

you are speaking of "Varsity Teams", which were small patrol-like groups WITHIN troops that existed from 1989 to 95, along side "Venture Crews". In 95, the Varsity Teams were dropped because it was confused with Varsity Scout Teams (big surprise), and merged into the venture crews which were later renamed "venture patrols" because they were too similar to Venturing Crews (and STILL confuse people to this day).

The Varsity Scout Program was rolled out in 1984. You can read its history at my site here: http://www.seniorscoutinghistory.org/seniorscoutsite/varsity.html

The Varsity Scout program has separate units called "Varsity Scout Teams".

The current Varsity Scout Guidebook is the handbook of the program. It came out in 2000.

I agree, emb021 you might be as right as rain, but you twisted my mind up in alot of knots trying to follow that..

Eagle92 - may not be right.. But it is something that made sense! :)

Wheew and I thought Venture Patrols & Venturing Crews where confusing!