scout with broken leg/ankle needs 5 mile hike

Yep I wouldn't count it either. Part of that "be prepared" thing is making sure there are enough maps for each contingent. As long as they are having fun and want to try again soon, you've redeemed a bad situation!

Do encourage him and the boys to keep planning. Every now and then I tell my boys about my "what I would do differently" file. Basically after a hike, I'll file the map away with a note page that has comments like "pick trail that crosses fewer streams", or "rocks and bogs!" or "bring GPS", or "bring extra map!"

Since they are working on their requirements, they may want to simply consider putting a sticky note on the relevant page. Regardless, those comments are fun to read when you start on your next hike, and sometimes they actually help you avoid repeating the same mistake!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a Youth I did a mile, on crutches, in 7 minutes. It might hurt a little bit, but considering it's an ankle, pick a nice level course, have lots of buddies, and do the 5 miles on the cruthes.

JK,

The distance *walked* is not the point. The point is to be qualified to navigate one's patrol in the terrain they typically encounter where they hike and camp. A five mile hike is merely one of the most entertaining ways (from a scout's perspective) to do that.

If you "dumb down" the requirement to one of mere physical stamina, you put a patrol at risk of not being able to execute a reasonable hike plan once this boy is fit to move over hill and dale! Whatever you do, folks, do not compromise the integrity of this requirement just so the boy can walk instead of ride!!!! Who knows? It may be your life that depends on that boy being able to navigate his way to the ranger's station!

It's odd how 5yr's scout gets that he has not yet been adequately challenged to meet this requirement, while some of you are struggling with that. I bet when they finally make this a tough enough mental challenge without shortchanging the doctor's orders, he'll let 5yr know.

Crutches don't preclude use of map & compass; in fact the topo lines will help in the selection of a level route. Your speculative patrol might be abandoning a hike and trying to find a bushwacking route becuse they are evacuating a Scout or an Adult who broke his ankle.

This Brownsea requirement isn't Orienteering MB.

I love this forum!

:~)

I think if the boy is helping his patrol pick the terrain in advance of the hike and plays an active role in calculating distance identifying way points and guiding where he can, you've met the requirements. If the doctor says "5 miles? No way!" respect that.

Regarding the difficulty with respect to Orienteering ... this is where we put the cart before the horse. Orienteering MB is not Eagle required and is about the sport of orienteering, which may or may not be more difficult than the orienteering required for navigation.

The way I read the T2FC requirement is that the scout should qualify to take his boys hiking and camping. Now, you'd like to think that a boy who could earn Orienteering MB would be able to do that. But, suppose he's one tough nut with lots of skills climbing/bouldering, so he tackles his cross country course with lots of climbing and sheer grit and some luck with dead reckoning. He gets the MB. Now even if the course is long enough for the First Class requirement (8k instead of 3k) it doesn't mean that the boy has the good sense to put together a safe hike for his buddies.

An example of someone who met the first class requirement: a boy came up to us last night and said "I have copies of the map of this weekend's hike -- one that includes topographic lines. Should I bring them?"

Um, yeah. Will you lead the hike for us?

Bottom line: if he's shown a skill level that you could trust him to take his boys on a hike in your area, he's earned the requirement. If not, don't pass him just because someone signed his Orienteering MB blue card.