Can a Scout be a member of multiple units? I am being told that a Scout can be registered in one district, attend another districts meetings/campouts/fundraisers and be advanced through another unit. This policy supposedly went into affect 01 Aug 2011. It is called "multiple use" registration or something to that affect. Has anybody heard anything?

Never knew that. But doesn't that open the program to abuse of the MB's? where is the incentative to be with the same troop? how do you verify the signatures of completed requirements? in the 8 years I have been in the Scouts this is the first time it has come up. Do you happen to kow what the policy number is?

Don't know the policy number, but it's been around for a while, since 1987 that I know of. I was registered in 2 troops, 1 was my primary troop, one was for combined jamboree and HA trip. No advancement was done in the second one, but everythign we did could be used by the regular troop, and the DAC was an ASM on the trip.

Also I was multiple in a Scout Troop and a Sea Scout Ship. Know lots of folks who are multiple registered in units.

Easy to be multipled in a Scout Troop and any number of Venturing Crews.

Easy to be multipled in just any number of Venturing Crews (to include Sea Scout Ships).

I'd like to see the filestore document on multiples in Troops. Haven't seen that hat trick actually work.

I don't think it's a problem with MB's.

It is a hassle sorting out positions of responsibility. For example, one unit may grant a kid a POR and not remove him if he's not doing the job. The other unit might not want to accept it, but they're kinda stuck.

This is most common with youth of divorced parents.

Often the Scout will register in a Troop by both mom and dad. Sometimes these are even in different councils.

The best way to handle this is to be very aboveboard with both Troops. Have both Scoutmasters talk to each other, and the Scout, about the best way to handle advancement. I would think that any fundraising done would be specific to that particular individual Troop.

It works much better if one Troop is the primary Troop where all ranks are awarded. The second Troop can send periodic updates to the primary Troop.

This would have no affect on merit badges. All merit badges must still be handled by MB Counselors who are approved by their district/council.

If your Scout's second Troop is in your council, all advancement should be easily available thru Scoutnet.

There is nothing stopping any Scout, BSA unit, or BSA adult volunteer, from attending any activity, or meeting, in any district, or council.

I discussed this with my SE a couple of years ago. This is what was explained to me.

Within a council, a scout may be registered to one Cub Scout Pack or one Boy Scout Troop. In addition to a troop, a Boy Scout may be registered to one Venture Crew OR one Sea Scout Ship. A Venturer may be registered in UP to two units (Venturing Crew(s) and/or Sea Scout Ships). Youth membership may not exceed 2 units.

As each council has a separate charter, so what happens in different councils is largely immaterial, however it may become quite a difficult issue if advancement is taking place in multiple units and/or councils.

This discussion arose from a situation was made aware of (when attending an out of council training) regarding a boy who split time between mom and dad (different councils) who had been held back in school. Mom inisisted he be registered as a Cub Scout in the local pack, while dad had him registered in troop as a Boy Scout in his town. I can only imagine this made for a very confusing scout record. Luckily, I didn't have to deal with that messed up situation.

Wow, thanks for the great responses. There were several points brought that I had not thought of. I did know they could be indifferent types (Troop & Crew for example) but the same council - different troops was/is a new one. Once again, thanks everybody.

An online search of rechartering instructions seems to indicate that some councils do put limits on the number of troops a boy can be registered with - some saying that multiple registrations are only allowed between troops and crews/ships.