Watch Chief Scout Executive Robert Mazucca Speak Live!

Hello Baden P,

I have no objection to being critical of the Scouting program. But there is no calling for crude, sarcastic, hateful language and name calling while you do it. That just provokes other people to excesses.

Kudu, has polished his hateful and sarcastic style and repeats it often, with relish.

And yes, I can be provoked by such language. When I was provoked to excess by one of your posts recently, you will recall that I rewrote it to remove the objectionable language and apologized for it as well.

Frankly, if I were moderating these forums I would delete such posts and warn the persons responsible not to repeat them. If they were repeated regularly, I would ban the person from posting.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much for the honeymoon.

SeattlePioneer writes:

Kudu has polished his hateful and sarcastic style and repeats it often, with relish.

SeattlePioneer's behavior is called "Psychological Projection:"

"Psychological projection or projection bias is a psychological defense mechanism where a person unconsciously denies his or her own attributes, thoughts, and emotions, which are then ascribed to the outside world, such as to other people. Thus, projection involves imagining or projecting the belief that others have those feelings."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

SeattlePioneer's personal attacks are the natural consequence of a program that replaces objective standards that can be measured (outdoor skills, leadership that can move a Patrol through physical space), with purely subjective and judgemental evaluation standards ("Leadership and Character").

SeattlePioneer writes:

Frankly, if I were moderating these forums I would delete such posts and warn the persons responsible not to repeat them. If they were repeated regularly, I would ban the person from posting.

You are already moderating these forums, SeattlePioneer! As a moderator, you already have the power to delete my posts. Yes, YOU have the power to ban me from posting!

First let me offend you with my hateful and sarcastic style:

For people like me who deplore the BSA's move from adventure to formulas, EDGE theory is the perfect icon. It is stupid beyond all comprehension. Really. How could any national Wood Badge expert remove the Patrol Leader and any description of a working Patrol from the PATROL METHOD presentation of SM - Specific Training, and replace them with EDGE? It is something that apparently no adult volunteer or professional will defend, except with personal attacks against those of us who oppose it.

Now I must "repeat my hateful and sarcastic style often and with relish:"

For people like me who deplore the BSA's move from adventure to formulas, EDGE theory is the perfect icon. It is stupid beyond all comprehension. Really. How could any national Wood Badge expert remove the Patrol Leader and any description of a working Patrol from the PATROL METHOD presentation of SM - Specific Training, and replace them with EDGE? It is something that apparently no adult volunteer or professional will defend, except with personal attacks against those of us who oppose it.

Just for good measure let me throw in a racist attack against your hero Robert Mazucca:

Hispanic boys like camping just as much as white boys do. If as District Membership Chair, you use my Recruiting Presentation in a mixed-race audience, you can register 28% of those sixth graders. 28% TAY! That is 28% TAY in addition to your District's current crossover! What is your District's current TAY, SeattlePioneer? 2%? 4%? 8%? What is it, SeattlePioneer? Why won't you tell us? That bad, huh? All the more reason to just try it. Really, what do you have to lose?

Now I must "repeat my hateful and sarcastic style often and with relish:"

Hispanic boys like camping just as much as white boys do. If as District Membership Chair, you use my Recruiting Presentation in a mixed-race audience, you can register 28% of those sixth graders. 28% TAY! That is 28% TAY in addition to your District's current crossover! What is your District's current TAY, SeattlePioneer? 2%? 4%? 8%? What is it, SeattlePioneer? Why won't you tell us? That bad, huh? All the more reason to just try it. Really, what do you have to lose?

OK, Here is how you moderate these forums, SeattlePioneer! Here is how you delete my posts. In two easy steps you can ban me from posting!

1) Locate the column to the left of this post with the heading "Kudu."

2) At the bottom of the column, click on the hyperlink: "Ignore this User."

*Poof*

Kudu is gone.

SeattlePioneer can not read this.

His life is pure bliss now, because he lives in a world without Kudu!

Yours without Kudu,

Kudu

Hispanic Recruiting:

http://kudu.net/adult/recruiting.htm

I'm sure Kudu imagines that his recruiting methods are the be all and end all, but they aren't.

I'll be training our district Cub Scout pack leaders on how to do effective recruiting by putting them in the position of being recruited themselves.

Kudu talks about and promises activities at his recruiting event, but I find it's better to DO fun activities at recruiting events.

At our March Roundtable, Pack leaders are invited to bring their Cub Scouts and join them in making stomp bottle rockets. While the Cub Scouts are launching their rockets, I will be showing the adults further methods in how to get new families signed up, participating in the pack and working as pack volunteers.

And my experience shows that benign neglect isn't a sufficient way to deal with Hispanic families if you want them to join and participate in your program.

(Not needed OGE)

(This message has been edited by a staff member.)

Psychological projection or projection bias is a psychological defense mechanism where a person unconsciously denies his or her own attributes, thoughts, and emotions, which are then ascribed to the outside world, such as to other people.

Thus, projection involves imagining or projecting the belief that others have those feelings.

Fine Kudu,

You might try comparing your behavior on this board for signs of nerosis:

There are many different specific forms of neurosis: pyromania, obsessive-compulsive disorder, anxiety neurosis, hysteria (in which anxiety may be discharged through a physical symptom), and a nearly endless variety of phobias. According to Dr. George Boeree, effects of neurosis can involve:

...anxiety, sadness or depression, anger, irritability, mental confusion, low sense of self-worth, etc., behavioral symptoms such as phobic avoidance, vigilance, impulsive and compulsive acts, lethargy, etc., cognitive problems such as unpleasant or disturbing thoughts, repetition of thoughts and obsession, habitual fantasizing, negativity and cynicism, etc. Interpersonally, neurosis involves dependency, aggressiveness, perfectionism, schizoid isolation, socio-culturally inappropriate behaviors, etc.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurosis

Psychological projection or projection bias is a psychological defense mechanism where a person unconsciously denies his or her own attributes, thoughts, and emotions, which are then ascribed to the outside world, such as to other people.

Thus, projection involves imagining or projecting the belief that others have those feelings.

Fake fairness, WAKWIB.

If the moderators did their job, you would not see personal attacks on Scouter.Com.

For people like me who deplore the BSA's move from adventure to formulas, EDGE theory is the perfect icon. It is stupid beyond all comprehension. Really. How could any national Wood Badge expert remove the Patrol Leader and any description of a working Patrol from the PATROL METHOD presentation of SM - Specific Training, and replace them with EDGE?

It is something that apparently no adult volunteer or professional will defend, except with personal attacks against those of us who oppose it.