Beavah says:

If that means payin' gas or camp fees, that's goin' to be what? 25 cents an hour for the SM's time? If that means giving the fellow an REI gift certificate for wear and tear on personal gear every year, so be it. If that means giving him a big shiny new plaque every year to show his boss or an all-expense-paid night on the town for SM and Mrs. SM to keep the home front sound, so be it.

Well, you had me until the last one. Actual expenses for gas and fees, sure. Gift certificate, and looking at it as a reimbursement for wear and tear, I don't think I've heard that one before, but ok. Plaque, absolutely, though I don't think a new one every year is necessary; maybe a nice certificate in the non-plaque years. But the all-expense paid night on the town... it just seems a little over the top and more like "compensation", which legal or not, Scouting volunteers generally don't get.

Our troop does pay registration fees for all adults, although if someone is not active but just on the roster, they are asked to pay. This is the case with a few ASM's who graduated from the troop and are away at college, and usually their parents are happy to pay in order to keep them registered.

For weekend camping trips where there is an individual admission fee (like last weekend's trip to "Scout Day" at the Naval Academy, which includes a ticket to the football game), everybody pays, adult and youth. Otherwise if it is a matter of renting a cabin or campsite, the troop pays. For food, there is a flat fee per trip, which everybody pays, and the food-shoppers stay within that budget (and if it sounds like we might have some patrol method issues, yeah, well...) I have a feeling the Scoutmaster himself does not pay, but nobody really asks about it, and nobody would have a problem with it either way.

Currently Our Adults pay for everything at the same rate as the boys for Troop functions, and whatever the presiding authority decrees for everything else, and are reimbursed for gas if a receipt is presented. Summer camp "Free Adult" spots are rationed by the CC and SM in consultation with the treasurer. SO far, except for one year, I've always wound up being a paying adult.

While I don't necessarily agree with being paid - I would accept not paying when we go to MBU's and the like, and an annual/bi-annual recognition plaque/gift certificate would be appreciated. And when you realize how much even a "non-involved" (Ha!) Scoutmasters wife deals with, that gift of an evening out from the Troop is a very good investment in retention.

We don't have a set policy, but would give reimbursement for gas for the vehicle pulling the troop trailer to campouts if asked. Last campout, because he hauled the trailer, we waived the food fee for the SM and his kids instead.

Our troop covers registration fees and any training fees for leaders & registered parents.

No plaques please!

Take a turn as chaperon for my co-eds. Come camping with us!

My wife would like to have me for an evening, so dinner out works.

Once you aquire the $ to support more kids on superactivities, you can worry about reimbursing me. Until then, I'll work the expenses through the tax code.

Actually free proffessional accounting would be great compensation.