Hi Group,

My name is Tim, but the Scouts call me Mister T.

I'm an assistant scoutmaster, reading up on how the Boy Scout program works, particularly the Patrol Method and Boy Led Troop.

I've been with my son's Pack since he was a Tiger. Now we're both fairly new to the troop.

Tim

Hey KB:

You said, "this is really a great place to find all of the answers, and most of them are right"

So I have a little question. How do you tell the right answers from the wrong answers? Usually the answers that sound the most convincing are wrong, but other than that I have no idea how to tell the difference.

Depends on the topic Mister-T.

When it comes to the: Methods, Aims, Mission, Policies, procedures, of the BSA....truth can be verified. There isn't much about the programs of Scouting that the BSA has not documented.

You will find a lot of information here but you need to be very careful about measuring truth based on how convincing someone is. History is full of very convincing people who were not telling the truth.

Verify verify verify.

Remember also that this is still the Internet. People are not always what they say they are, even on a scout forum. For all you know the Scoutmaster of 15 years never had more than 5 scouts and ran the troop into the ground before he "retired".

So be as cautious as you would tell your children to be if they were on the Internet.

Good Luck and have fun in Scouting.

There is a lot of documentation and manuals available for almost anything Scouting, I will admit, but there is something to be said for personal observation and best practices. Everyone here has thier own opinion on how to deliver the program, and usually they're all worth reading about. Don't think for one minute that there is never more than one way to skin a cat.

Since you've been lurking for a while, you'll know who to trust and who to chuckle at and who, if any, to put on your ignore list. Almost all of us are volunteers just like you. Have fun.