Greetings from the UK

Hi and Welcome.

What part of the UK?

I was born and raised in London.

But have to admit to bleeding green when I cut myself!

Both my parents were from Ireland.

I'm interested to find out how things are going in the UK, since you moved to having all these new?? Sections.

Eamonn.

I'm from Broadstairs in Kent, approx 76 miles East of London. Although some have been negative about the changes I believe they were a good thing, when I was an SL the age range was 10 1/2yrs to 15 1/2yrs, we tended to get a big dropout when they reached 14, mainly because young people of that age didn't like hanging around socialy with primary school kids. The Explorer and Network section mean that young people are meeting with others in their own age range. Actually, we've really gone back 40yrs to Senior Scouts and Rovers, they've just changed the name.

Well make life easy go to InsaneScouter on the menu go to virtual activities and then click on chat ... that is powered by ScoutLink.net and is fully moderated Scout chat with Scouters from around the world... it is actually pretty fun and addictive... If I am on I my nick is "peeves".

We (Her Who Must Be Obeyed and "The Kid" visited your part of the world a couple of years back.

Back when I was a little fellow (Many , many moons back!!) We spent a few summers in Ramsgate.

I was the SL of the 17th Fulham (Pioneers) for about 11 years.

Sad to say the 17th is no more, Fulham District is gone and Greater London Central has been reorganized!

Due to the many, many moons!! I was a Wolf Cub.

When I was old enough to become a Scout, the Advanced Party Report was just starting to take hold.

I did stick it out earning the then Chief Scout's Award and became a Queen's Scout.

I took Wood Badge back in 1974 at Gilwell Park. (We used to land in hot water for building pioneering projects on the training grounds!!)

I was also the Crew Leader of the Service Team at Walton Firs Camp Site. Back then it was owned and operated by National Camp Sites. The Camp Warden was Bill Cook super nice guy. (We had the best pioneering store of any of the National Sites!!)

From what I have read and from the people I have talked with the "Changes" seem to have worked out for the good.

I'd like to see some of them make the trip across the pond. I kinda think in time that they will!! Of course any sort of change does upset many of the traditionalists.

I'm not so sure about how the new way that training is handled is something that I'd like to see here in the BSA?

A good many people are still not overjoyed with the changes that were made to Wood Badge a few years back.

Is Ted Heath still alive? I remember that he was from Broadstairs?

Ea.

"Grocer" Ted died in 2005. I think many of the traditionalists need to remember what BP said about Scouts being a movement, because we need to keep moving forwards. Of course the BPSA is still around for those who want a more "traditional" form of Scouting. Personally, I don't have the legs for shorts.

I made some very good friends from your area last year at Jambo -- several guys from Wimbledon/Merton area outside London. I worked with two of them on IST and hung out evenings at the IST pub with a number of other leaders from their Scout Group.

There was another fellow on our team from Manchester, although I couldn't understand a word he said. I had better luck communicating with a Swiss guy on our team who only spoke French. The Swiss guy and I, at least, understood that we spoke different languages.