I know the UC.. But we just got one, and he was our CC until his last son made eagle then went to UC. So the distrust isn't there. I didn't know people had distrust with the UC.

Anyway this is the 2nd UC I have had in 12 years of scouting, I had one for 6 months and now this old troop adult leader. I know many many many units have no UC.. I don't know if this is just a problem in our district.

The first UC was our UC for 6 months. I did try to use him. I went to him while a CC in the troop that we could not get the SM to work with the committee. His solution was to stop contact with me, ignore my calls for help. I don't know if he hoped the problem would go away on it's own. I esculated the problem up the chain, and no one wanted to get involved.

Therefore if the problem in their eyes was me, they got their wish. We left, along with another family whose parent was on the committee. The committee was made up of myself, my husband and the other parent. Leaving the troop with NO committee and one scoutmaster who wanted to run things without any guidence from anyone.. No other Adult leaders not even an ASM. From what I know the council let them run for the rest of the year that way, even though the SM was sleeping in the same tent with the boys (I suspected no sexual abuse, but still).. Putting them in cars with strangers who were not affiliated with the troop and many other things.

I can not soully blame the UC. Since I esculated it and got the same response from everyone. I think our new UC will be good, but since I have had little contact with him, and I have had little contact with any UC, and most of our units don't have one. They are just not the first person you think of.

I never thought of them as a spy.. All the help we can get is welcomed. Just when needed they have to step up and take on the difficult parts of the job.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ScoutNut,

In your example, where the CO closes, I would totally agree. It would benifit the boys, and it would not devalue the role of the CO. Both are important considerations.

I am not suggesting that a unit should throw itself upon the CO's funeral pyre.

Then what EXACTLY are you suggesting.

In all of the examples in this thread the current CO either did not want to, or could not, continue as a CO. If you do not feel it is right for a unit to "shop" for a new one, then what would you suggest is the right thing for them to do?

I've seen/heard of a couple of CO switches.

(1) A Masonic group was unable to continue, so with their obvious consent and permission.... a Pack and Troop switched to a local church...

(2) A church that wanted leadership just from their parish... caused some..... issues... so again with their "permission" the Pack and Troop moved to another CO.

So it happens.... but you dont dissolve the pack... its rare but it happens.

The question was, "Who should be finding the new CO?"

My answer is...the old CO. It is their unit to keep, close, or give away.

If the IH chooses to deligate this authority, so be it.

What EXACTLY am I suggesting? I am suggesting that you show the CO and IH some respect.

ScoutNut,

Yes, I have actually seen this happen.

Much of my involvement in Scouting has been through my membership and offices held in the Knights of Columbus. I was an active participant in the transfer of a unit from a parish school to the KC's.

The final decision was made by the two CO's. Unit leadership and participants were consulted, but not given a veto.

This was not CO shopping.

David,

Thing is this: While I am positive that your case is a part of a very , very small and far and few in between exception..I can imagine that the all too often reality is this:

A CO has decided that they are going to dump a bunch of kids and the program that went with them in the trash. They don't care if the unit finds another CO or not.

Basically, it's like breaking up with a girlfriend....who cares what she does..you are done with her! Good luck and good bye! Hasta la Vista baby!

Just saying, when the CO suddenly decided on ( what appears to be a yearly whim) dropping a unit..there doesn't seem to be much concern for all the time, hard work and volunteering that went on by the leaders . That's not even counting the kids.

Basically, the Co is saying: We don't care about you any more.

If they hold onto the unit #'s issued by council..they are doing so for spite!

So your unit did an honorable thing. That's awesome, but don't expect to see that as a common occurance.

Dave,

A Brother Knight ;). Most relationships with parochial schools and KC council are more than amicable, and I wouldn't use that as an example. In my experience, and I have a bunch, it is usually a combination of the unit leaders and/or DEs searching for a new CO when a CO wants to give up a unit. In my experience all the original CO has done is sign paperwork stating that the unit number and all unit equipment and accounts can be transferred to the new CO.

ScoutNut,

The Knight of Columbus is Catholic, but it is not owned by the Catholic Church, it's dioceses, parishes, or schools. This is a common misunderstanding.

And please do not put words into my mouth. I did not say that it was simply a transfer from one parish organization to another. I can't even imagine myself ever saying something so foolish.

I don't think it is at all silly that the owner of a unit has the final say.

Fine, let me know how it works for you when you give the local Elks club your charter, and all of the members of the unit decide they do not want that particular organization for their CO.

Edited to add that you also need to remember that you get your charter from the local BSA council. If the local council does not approve of granting a charter to the organization YOU pick out, what then?(This message has been edited by Scoutnut)

They did have the final say! They said : "We don't want you no more!"

At that point, all the adult leaders and scouts are on their own. The CO dumped them and gave up ownership of the unit.Once you abandon something..it's no longer yours nor does it have any obligation to you!

At the very least...when the CO told the scouts that they were no longer useful to the CO.... the scouts do not have to take the CO's feelings, wants or cares into consideration.

Pretty much the CO is saying you are no loger useful, and we are abandoning you, but we hope you still consider our wants and needs.

Not me. I'm going CO shopping!

Scoutfish,

"At that point, all the adult leaders and scouts are on their own. The CO dumped them and gave up ownership of the unit.Once you abandon something..it's no longer yours nor does it have any obligation to you!

At the very least...when the CO told the scouts that they were no longer useful to the CO.... the scouts do not have to take the CO's feelings, wants or cares into consideration."

That would be all well and good,....... except the CO owns the unit. They own the unit and all it's assets - equipment and finances. Unit leaders adopting your attitude could quickly face the CO dissolving the unit and confiscating the treasury and all equipment. According to the charter agreement, that's the way it works!

The proper way to handle this situation is to work closely with the CO, asking their help in finding a new sponsor. And for the good of the Scouts, to then allow a smooth transfer to a new CO, keeping their unit number and to keep their treasury and equipment intact.

Keep in mind the old saying, "You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar!'