Just explain two bits of European gastronomical lexiconography and I will acccept your apology

Just who thought of the term "sweetbread", its not sweet nor is is bread?

Just who was the swineherd walking through the primordial French forest who jumped on the big fungus ball his lead boar kicked up and shouted "MINE!" ?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking that swine herder was a close relative to the sheep herder who in the interest of LNT had stuffed a gut full of whatever was left over for a couple of weeks' dinner, boiled it up and had a feast.

Stosh

Plain cheesecake. Both the real thing and no bake which is actually a pudding, not a pie or cake! LOL!

Speaking of those mis-named food items...

shouldn't cookies be called "bakies" since they are indeed baked in an oven and not cooked.

Wait, what if my favorite pie is a pizza pie? What bounderies did we just cross?

Or shepard's pie.

Let me just say,

√-1 ♥ 3.14...

Peach pie

Apple pie, has to have vanilla ice cream.

Pumpkin pie

Pecan pie

walnut pie

As for the whole cheesecake is a pie theory, I personally disagree. I have made both cheesecake and pie many times, but while cheesecake has a crust, the preparation of said crust is very different. The ingredients are very different too. That is enough proof for me that a cheesecake is not a pie.

I like that comment on cookies, Scoutfish, but baking is one of the methods of cooking.

The methods on Wikipedia are: baking, roasting, sauteing stewing, frying, grilling, barbecuing, smoking, boiling, steaming, braising.

In my experience and reading on the subject, some in that list are sub-methods of a single method.

I love pizza pie too. Maybe enough that I should have listed it. :-)

Oh Sure, bring pizza into it

Thin "New York" style or the vastly superior "Chicago Style" deep dish

and I don't mean that homogenized franchise dribble that Uno's sells at Airports either, Nancy's Stuffed or Lou Malnatti or something like that as opposed to the ketchup and cheese on a saltine that the East Coast favors

"As for the whole cheesecake is a pie theory, I personally disagree. I have made both cheesecake and pie many times, but while cheesecake has a crust, the preparation of said crust is very different. The ingredients are very different too. That is enough proof for me that a cheesecake is not a pie. "

Too many preconcieved notions about what a pie is.

Culinarily speaking, pie is nothing more than a filling baked in a crust. How the crust is made, how the filling is made, what the ingredients are, none of that matters.

Pizza is a pie. Quiche is a pie, cheesecake is a pie.

"Thin "New York" style or the vastly superior "Chicago Style" deep dish "

OGE, I vote for 'vastly superior "Chicago Style" deep dish'

I know it's not the best of Chicago, but Giordano's opened up a location about 20 miles from here. It's not convenient, but when I'm driving home from an out of town trip, it's on the way home. I've called ahead driving home for a carryout order from time to time.

I did go to Gino's East for a wedding rehearsal dinner a few years ago. Good stuff.

Pizza could be or not be pie. . . but let's not disparage the "back Easter's" that like it thin and crispy over you poor lost souls that think thick crust is the only way to eat pizza. I say the thinner and crispier the better!!

Now back to the original list:

1. Key Lime

2. Lemon Meringue

3. Cherry (I always get the slice with a pit in it!)

4. Apple

5. Shoo Fly

There I even limited my list to five, unlike some of you that can't seem to count.