How Many Sea Scouts are there?

NOT ENOUGH!

From this website:

http://www.seascout.org/

In a speech to Juniata Valley Council in November 06, [2007] Charlie Holmes said

the number of Sea Scouts was 7,000. Assuming the number he quoted was

correct, that suggests the it's closer to 3% (actually 2.8%)[of total Venturers].

maybe I can work my mojo on this topic and ask my old friend Keith about it?

EDITED: I needed to add the year 2007 in brackets as that info was in the discussion, but not in the quote selected.

(This message has been edited by eagle92)(This message has been edited by eagle92)

Eammon: The Wiki figures includes Girl Scouts. Does US Girl Scouting have a Sea Scout element?

I know here in the UK we have c.10,000 Sea Scouts in c.400 groups.(This message has been edited by Chug)

From looking at the GSUSA website, I would say no to the question of Sea Scouting in GS. However the BSA's Sea Scouting is coed as it is a subset of Venturing. Pity b/c Sea Scouting is the 2nd oldest program in the BSA, being founded in 1912.

I have heard (not in our area) of Girl Scout counselors chartering all girl Sea Scout ships; these are frequently called "Mariners" or "Mariner ships." If this is true, they would be registered Sea Scouts (BSA) so including them also as Girl Scouts would be double counting. Or so it would seem.

If local experience in two councils is any guide, there is no way of knowing how many there are. I'm a vice commodore and we are constantly finding units have disappeared overnight. If you visit an active unit, the numbers you see are nothing like the numbers on council rosters. Whatever figure you come up with is just a guess.