Hello krb,

Your friend had it right, a troop may choose to ask a person to leave but that is a whole different animal than having one's BSA membership revoked. Believe me, if this were a matter of your son's BSA membership being revoked, you'd know for sure. Since that is not the case here, your son is free to join any other troop. Nor does he have to wait and see what his old troop decides to do. In fact he could opt to leave his current troop today, and join another troop immediately or at some future date after you've resettled in your new location. As a courtesy, if he opts to leave his current troop, please be sure to let the troop know. (I liked Calico's advice from a few weeks ago about contacting the CO too)

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't had a more satisfactory level of communication with your son's troop. Simple good manners dictates that they should be more forthcoming with you. From what you have posted it certainly sounds as though you've done all you can to be a reasonable party in the matter. But don't lose too much sleep and don't let it sour you (or your son) on scouting. I hope that eventyally you will find another troop where your son can learn a lot and have fun in scouts. THere are many good troops out there who will be happy to welcome him.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As is often the case, Lisa is thinking exactly what I want to say :)

I would go ahead, go to a meeting (by yourself), and ask for a copy of his records, and a return of any funds not obligated.

I'd also contact the District Executive, and ask for a current printout of his ScoutNet record. It'll help the gaining unit and Council when/if you relocate/