Is a troop with 6 active boys too small?

Yah, in the parent thread we got a bit off on a topic which wasn't related to what da poster was askin'. Seemed like an interestin' topic to spin off, though.

belayerStLouis opined:

4 to 6 scouts is the answer to your question - it doesn't work. Be ready to receive tons of advice but your question has been answered and you really are an adult patrol leader, 6 kids isn't a troop.

What's everybody think? Is a troop with only 4-6 active lads really too small? Guaranteed to fail/not a real troop?

Are there things such a unit should be thinking about or that would help a small unit with program?

Beavah

I don't really know the answer, but the most fun I've had with being an adult role model for a boy run group is High Adventure Crews. Now I admit they don't stay together long, but the bonding and character growth that goes on during that week is tremendous.

Barry

From a technical perspective...

4 is too small if you're not an LDS unit. BSA will not let the unit recharter.

6 is cutting the edge razor-thin. In the current economic stability, you're a breath away from failing to recharter.

Aside from that, a single Patrol? Depends on where you are. There are lots of parts of rural America where a Troop of 1 patrol is what's do-able with the youth in hand.

As far as the comment about adult patrol leader, I think that was a little over the top. A wise SM adapts the Methods. Instead of a PLC, you have a Patrol Council. Set aside some time to learn to make decisions as a body politic.

If you have a good program, there will be growth :)

Six is small, but there may be a reason for it. Often a small troop exists because that's what the SM feels comfortable leading...they have a good or okay program, but not great. Just enough to plug along and go camping once in awhile.

Advancement in a small troop is usually stagnant, it seems.

On Brownsea island in 1907, BP formed 4 patrols: Bulls, Wolfs, Ravens, and CURLEWS, with 20 boys. 20 divided by 4 equals 5 man patrols. So yes a 6 man patrol is doable.

An aside, the 22 in Brownsea 22 comes from the fact that there were 22 people at that first scout camp: BP, the 20 boys, and his nephew who was too young to participate so he was the mascot.

While it may be doable the troop will and can not last for long without an increase in membership, re chartering aside. The program delivery even with the best intentions will become stale and boring real fast. If you want to really have a boy led troop you need to have a larger and more diverse group of boys who will all have a chance at different styles of leadership and experiences. A troop of 4-6 is just too small to be viable and its only a matter of time before the kids get bored and start to drop out. Your boys will see larger troops at district and council events and may decide that the larger troop will be a better fit for them. For the last six years I have volunteered with Venturing and they are coed, every crew that started with 5-6 members in our council was gone in the first year. I am very sure the same thing will happen in this troop.

I agree that a troop of 6 is not in good shape at all. I will say that 4 of the 6 boys are very excited about scouts. 2 are pulled in many different directions by family and other activities. Being in a very small rural community with the nearest troop about 30 miles away I'm not worried about the boys leaving for bigger troops.

We do have a good feeder pack that should add between 5 and 8 boys this coming spring. There wasn't a Weblos 2 den to cross over this year however. 6 boys makes keeping meetings boy run a challenge. The troop has made huge strides towards being boy led. It was a old kid den meeting when I joined the troop.

I'm well aware that my situation is less than ideal... I also know that no troop is much less than ideal for the 4 to 6 scouts who are in the troop/patrol. I'm trying to do what I can, with what I have available.

As I was reading this from the beginning, I was agreeing with many of the posts. Six is very small, unless you are just starting out. Our troop was in that position two years ago and as we leave for our second year of summer camp, we stand at 19 boys strong and about 8 active adults. We are one of the few troops in our district which is prospering.

Lauwits post explains a lot. A rural troop explains the small size. But inside the post are many of the tools for growing the troop. A good feeder pack with boys on the way. Leaders who are working toward Patrol Method.

Don't consider your situation "less than idea". I'd consider it the perfect opportunity to grow an outstanding troop! Run with your ideas. Read this forum every day- REALLY! I pick up good ideas here all the time. And the experience of my friends here has saved me from stumbling more than once. Find other Scouters to use as mentors. My preference is to latch on to some old guys who really remember the Patrol Method. If you present a program strongly grounded in the outdoors, and constantly work toward boy leadership, you will have Scouts come to you.

Our troop has had several boys transfer in from other troops because we are different- boy leadership. Stay in contact with that pack, especially the Webelos. Make them your buddies and include them in your activities where you can. But also get to know the other den leaders. Make coming to your troop an "expectation". But always recruit and take nothing for granted.

As a final thought, we have a Lone Scout program. Your troop is six times better off! Best wishes, you can do it!

Ken

I disagree that six is too small.

Six is great for a patrol - troop.

Run the entire unit as one patrol. Use the patrol leader as the SPL have a PLC meeting with PL and assistant PL. Have a scribe and a QM. Maybe consider joining another troop for summer camp but there could be hazards there as well.

I just don't see anything wrong or detrimental to the program goals if a troop only has 5-10 scouts.

What would be impacted?

1) The Ideals; (No, a scout is measured as an individual to the ideals)

2) The Patrol Method; (Not effected maybe even improved)

3) The Outdoors; (not effected the unit will still camp)

4) Advancement; (not effected, Requirements and MB and POR's still possible)

5) Association with Adults; (Improved)

6) Personal Growth; (overnight outings and summer camp are still possible)

7) Leadership Development; ( Not effected, PL, Scribe, QM, Historian.. still exist)

8) The Uniform. (Not effected)

I grew up and did all my scouting in a troop that was between 6-10. They were on military bases, so kids were coming and going each year. Seemed to work out fine, I don't see any negatives to this. In fact, I liked it better as a youth. More opportunities to provide input and leadership. I guess that is why I like to work for small companies too :-)

Six is fine. Forget all the stuff in the TLT syllabus about having a six layer business hierarchy, 5 or 6 ASMs, 8 member PLC, etc. Set up a patrol, have them elect a PL, appoint an APL and QM, recruit an ASM or parent, and get outside.

To those that say a six-member troop can't be boy-led I say, with all due respect, BAH! Set aside time in your Troop meetings for Patrol meetings. Or better yet, let your Troop meeting be a Patrol meeting! That is the PLC meeting and the patrol planning time. Hold your annual planning meeting with the elected and appointed leadership. No big deal.

As for advanacement being stagnant I say, with all due respect, BAH! In a new troop the SM/ASM will have to teach for a while but it's a short while then the boys will take over. Our challenge has been finding MB Counselors, but, hey, that's what District is for no?

Most of all, if you have a small troop, don't try to model yourself after all the BSA publictaions. You aren't the audience. Pick what works, apply the ideals and methods, and have fun.

There is one POR I'd definitely put in play: Get a kid out there to be a Den Chief.

Never, ever count on "feeder" Packs. Parents have the right to take their child to whatever Troop they think is best.

If your Pack has the better program, it will come to you.

One way to give back as well as invest in that relationship with the Pack is to give it one or more Den Chiefs.

John-In-KC beat me to the same advice...

Most troops get the majority of their boys from Cub Packs....

Most Webelos will go that they feel (1) Most comfortable and (2) Think that they'll have the most fun !! (3) Will be successfull.

So get some boys to be Den Chiefs.... Bear, Webelos I, and Webelos II.... Invite Webelos to attend troop events.... award ceremony, overnight campout... ect.

One Small troop here... had just six boys... picked up 6 Webelos and doubled in size in one week !!

I know a "Webelos III"-style troop going into it's third year. I'm not sure how many are really active, week to week, but they have about 10 on their roster, I think.

Their intention (as I heard directly from the SM, the night that I visited with a Webelos den) is to march the same "patrol" together through the program, about one advancement a year, keeping the patrol intact. Anyone new joining was welcome to have their own patrol.

I'm not sure it's a recipe for long-term success for that troop, but the adults seem to be quite happy with the way it is being run :-).

Been there. Done that.

Without a feeder pack it will be hard to keep it going for long. Youth will age out.

You can still provide a good program for those that are there, just without the Patrol competitions.

Providing a good, learning program to the youth is better than fitting the mold that BSA sets.

It will require extra recruitment efforts, even if a pack gets associated, unless there are a lot of Webelos in the pack.

Don't give up. Just give it your best effort.