"scout essentials backpack" ?

John in KC

Be careful mentioning that you are packing DOD style pants and tops. That might bring us back to the previous issues of using military clothig while on scouting activities.

But IMHO, I would have the same stuff packed.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of those conversations where people keep on adding their own bias onto my words.

To be clear - no boys is denied advancement that he earns. No requirements have been added. We have take a simple motto, "Be Prepared," and put it into action. Tell me - what do YOU tell boys to bring to a Troop meeting, a patrol meeting, a day hike, a service project, or a campout. How do you prepare for an earthquake, a flat tire, or splinter (had a splinter last night - pulled by use of the tweezers in one boy's bag. He feels proud, and we didn't even have to head to the troop first aid kit). There are basic items that can always come in handy, and the Boy Scouts have provided a great list.

For this I catch hell? Color me rather confused (and a bit angry - but this is the net, and inflection does not carry well. I will edit my comments to reduce the amount of vitriol I feel is warranted).

John is implying that my youth leaders are somehow sub-par because they teach Scout skills from items found in the bags. That is insulting, to say the least. My youth leaders ALSO carry the bags, and use their ropes to teach knots, their compasses to teach map & compass, etc. We had someone pull into the church lot last night a bit lost. One boy carries the local map in his bag, and pulled it out to give directions. You never know when you might find yourself with a spare 5 minutes to teach - why not have the tools available to do so.

Sorry, I am not going to apologize or back down from actually applying the Boy Scout Motto using a list from the Boy Scout handbook.

At our summer camp that we just got back from, I taught wilderness survival. As part of the requirements for the merit badge, each scout had to put together a "survival kit." It has the 10 outdoor essentials in it along with other items that the scout thought would be useful in a survival situation. They had to explain what each item was and why it might be useful. Be Prepared is the Scout Motto. This kit is something that every scout should have on any outing with the extra items in the kit being taylored to the event.

I see nothing wrong with asking the scout to bring their bag to a meeting or outing and the way I read it, it was not "required" but would be useful if they did have it.

Horizon,

yes, inflection doesn't come off clearly on the net, so to be clear read me as speaking in a conciliatory tone on this...

MY misunderstanding may primarily stem from your use of the phrase, "If a Scout is regularly NOT prepared, we will discuss that at the SMC and I am sure that the BOR will discuss it as well."

This phrase(in context) is in relation to the being prepared in question being, not having his bag at Troop meetings which tells me that you regard NOT having the bag as not being prepared and as such, it SEEMS to me that you are adding to the requirements.

Others may have read it the same way.

I still agree that a "go-bag" of this type is a great idea, even the current Scout Handbook has a picture of a bookbag like you describe to carry the ten essentials on the page discussing them. And I think encouraging Scouts to have them regularly is good too. But by discussing the presence or absence of the bag at SMC's and BOR's it kind of places it as a requirement item, even if it's informally.

I don't think anyone is on your back about the kit or being prepared or encouraging the Scout's to Be Prepared but some of us are touchy about the adding requirements bit and this tripped our triggers, certainly mine. I certainly meant no offense and apologize for any offense you feel from me.

YiS

Gunny (and John) - apologies. I probably should have done what I tell the Scouts when angered. Stop. Pause. Think if this is REALLY something to take offense from.

Accepted and offered in kind.

What I meant was that if a Scout regularly is not Prepared (forgot his sleeping bag, not wearing his uniform, doesn't have his handbook), we might talk about methods to help ensure that they are prepared. The Go bag is one of the best ways to help ensure that you are prepared, so we use it.

We don't keep a log, we don't have a points system, or anything like that. On review, I can see where you might get that impression (durned internet - we need video conferencing for some of the debates around here).

There is enough in the steps to advancement already, I agree that we don't need to add any. However, I worry that in the rush to get sign-offs and merit badges we sometimes forget the core ideals - and Be Prepared is one of them.

Horizon, I like the concept of a 'go bag' as being part of what a scout has to be prepared and for that matter what a scouter brings to a meeting. The "Be Prepared" part and my favorite of 'personal responsibility' fits right in.

I took a look at the bag that I bring to each meeting and lo and behold all the items were in there. (kinda surprised me) Being a 'scout' is something that we all try to instill in each of the scouts in the troops that we serve and this is one more tool to enable the boys to learn this.

This concept will be brought up at our next PLC and we will see how it goes over. Thanks for the idea.

No additional requirements to any advancements. Just something that the troop that I serve will include as their personal equipment if approved by the PLC.

yis

Red Feather

Just for levity - we sometimes have a food check to see who has the worst bit of emergency rations in their bag (usually a crushed to powder and stale granola bar of some sort). One of my Scouts always goes for a powerbar in a flavor he does not like. "That way it is good to eat in an emergency, but I won't eat it just because I want a snack."

The go-bag is a great idea. I was talking to one of our other ASM's last night about it and he suggested another addition. The scout health form. I suggested folding and sealing it in a food saver vacuum seal bag so it can't get damaged but is available if necessary, such as if the scout is off on his own or away from the file of health forms and gets injured.

Also, I've seen foil packets of water rations at surplus stores. They have a multi year shelf life.

Our troop has a scout backpack that we encourage them to bring to every Scout event. We purchase "school type" packs on clearance, out of season, and present them to the boys when they are inducted into the troop. We have them put handbook, paper and pencils in their bag. I was happy to see all remembered them for summer camp and used them throughout the week.

We have not had them put the other "essentials' in their pack, but I really like the idea. Several of them did Emer Prep or Wild Surv at camp. I will have to check with them, and have them lead the charge towards making their packs a true Scout Essentials Pack.

I usually add flint and steel.

Note pad and pencil too.

Horizon, isn't a disposable water bottle also refillable? Flimsy maybe, but refillable.(This message has been edited by Gonzo1)

Disposables are certainly refillable - and that is fine. We just decided as a troop (PLC decided it awhile ago) to "outlaw" bottled water on campouts after one particular trip where there were multiple bags of plastic bottles at the end. One of the boys had read the Wired article on bottled water and brought it up at the PLC meeting. They voted to prohibit bottled water and only reuse containers.

Snake bite kit?

We carry two elasticised bandages pretty commonly. I know Ameriacan snakes have a different poison route or effect or something (Aust snakes are amongst the deadliest but fortunately have little fangs and the bad stuff stays in the lymphatic tissue) but don't you carry the gear to deal with Rattlesnakes or what ever - depending on what lives in your area? Heck I bet some carry Bear repellant.

Regarding disposable water bottles, earlier in the Spring I read that it is not recommended to reuse the bottles because the repeated washes cause the chemicals in the plastic to leach into the water.

Admit though, I've also read that the danger of reusing disposable water bottles is just an Internet/email type hoax.

Around the same time, I heard on MSNBC that Nalgene was pulling its familiar hard plastic bottles from store shelves because of consumer concerns over the chemical BPA used in the plastic that some think leads to health problems.

Regardless of what type of bottle you use, always remember to wash it thoroughly with soap and water between uses. Bacteria is probably much more of a health problem than the plastic bottles themselves.

I share the affinity for the reused pop bottles. They're free, lightweight, and really rugged. I like to save the 1-liter size with wide mouths (and my wife just hates this - heh, heh, one more reason to do it).

As far as chemical hygiene goes, they don't change much with re-use, perhaps leaching a bit fewer chemicals than when new. It does depend on what you have IN the bottle, though. And I try to make sure it doesn't stay there long (sitting new on a shelf for, say, a week, full of low pH soda seems worse - as opposed to a few hours in my pack, full of filtered spring water.)

As far as survival food, I'll always savor a good cold, hard tootsie roll. Mmmmmmm. Pure energy.