I was wondering if anyone out there knows of companies... any companies

that offer a discount or something free to Scouters ... I am asking as I

want to compile a list of these companies...

For example

Bass Pro Shop gives Scouters a 10% discount

Sports Chalet use to offer a discount, not sure if they still do but I

know they offer discounts of things like there snorkel class

I have heard Macdonald's will give leaders on long drives such as summer

camp free coffee

Thanks for anything you can send my way...

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coleman Camping stores give 20%

Gander Mountain gives 10%. That includes shotguns if you can convince them it is for Scouting.

I've never heard the free coffee from McDonalds. We always stopped at McDs on our way to camp and I always paid for my coffee.

Insane Scouter Scott and Fellow Scouters,

I like that you are accumalating a list of Scouter discounts. I have an recommendation and a comment.

My recommendation.

Coleman products has a NON-PROFIT icon that offers small discounts on their webpage.

My comment.

Bottom Line Up Front. If you are making a list of discounts. I would be cautious about listing or refering to locations providing free coffee during long transits. At least I would be cautious of advertising McDonald's (or any other resturaunt or gas station) providing free coffee for Scout leaders on long drives.

I will admit, I too have driven when exhausted to and from Scouting events. Usually just by myself. But sometimes with my oldest Scouting son. Regarding driving long distances, Just from my own experience, I have been stupid driving long distances, while exhausted. I admit, I have done it.

I have reviewed the G2SS a few times, but I have not yet attended the BSA Supplimental training for "Risk Zone". I do appreciate that the "Risk Zone" and G2SS appreciates that troops and units may desire to conduct a national tour permit and visit other councils and historic sites during the summer months. But BSA deglamorizes long distance exhausting driving, and encourages a few various methods such as longer transit schedule or multiple drivers.

So you may want to scratch any free coffees off the listing. But discount motel rates and comfortable beds to obtain enough sleep and rest may be a bonus to highlight.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

REI will give you a 10% discount if you register on their 800 number. Usually you have to order thru there but if you ask nicely sometimes they will do it at the store. AND they will give you the discount even on sales items.

Campor does a 10% also, but its a more formal process, i.e. letterhead, a voided check, your first born, etc...

Alps Mountaineering gives up to 40% discounts to register scouters and their gear is very good quality. www.alpsmountaineering.com

I've also read, but not confirmed, that military bases will let Scout groups stay overnight while traveling... don't know if that is true or not.

The Alps Mountaineering scout site is http://www.scoutdirect.com/index.htm. One of my Woodbadge patrol members had some of their gear and loves it. This is from their Pro Leader program "Our normal Scout discount is 45%, and qualified Troop Leaders can receive a one time discount of 60%. We'll allow each Troop to get a total of 3 items (they must be from 3 different categories such as 1 pack, 1 tent, and 1 sleeping bag) at the 60% Pro price. The Troop can decide if one leader gets all three, or it could be 3 different leaders" Basically you can get it very cheap to advertise to the boys and other leaders who can get it cheap.

As far as military bases, back when I was a kid i the mid 90s, we took trips to Philmont, the Grand Canyon, and the National Jamboree, we stayed at several military bases on each trip free of charge, not sure if they still do that.

KOA also has a scout discount program, http://www.koa.com/scouts/

I do not know if this is a local thing or not but Burger King will give a Scout Unit (or any youh group) powdered Orange Drink Mix (Bug Juice) and a Drink Cooler (the kind with the push button spigot) at no cost.

Weve done this through a couple of different locations.

You need to give them a call a couple of days before to see if it hasnt been already reserved.

Thye just ask to bring the cooler back clean.

I think that Bass Pro and Gander Mountain also give Scouts a discount.

REI is actually a cooperative that rebates 10% of purchases back to members each year in the form of a voucher for more purchases. Our local REI store used to have, and may still have, a program where a scout troop can set up an account with designated buyers. The troop then gets the 10% discount at the time of purchase. This is not an open credit account, just a program for making the discounts available.

In the past I have rented canoes from two different outfitters who also extended discounts to scout groups. This is something you typically have to ask for.

"I believe Tandy Leather Factory gives a discount to Scouters--at least our local store does."

That must be a local program. I've spent a few grand at the local Tandy store and never gotten a discount. The manager knows that I'm a Scouter and he's a Cub Scouter so you think that the subject would have come up.

Fort Worth is were Tandy is based and have always been very helpful and helped me get the best quality and best price available. Be sure and get your tax exempt card denoted for Boy/Cub/Girl Scout.

Where ever I go I ask it never hurts to try and get whatever they are willing to share with you.

A real helpful tip in Texas is getting our Ice donated from grocery stores that have a seafood counter. They have to empty the entire bin every 48 hours and they fill in our ice chests and take it to the car for me. We then make home made snow cone syrup and have a extra treat our scouts have come to enjoy every camp out. The recipe for our snow cone syrup is 1pkg unsweet kool-aid mix, 2 cups of sugar, in 1 16 ounce water bottle. Put ice in cups and pour flavor mixture on top.

I asked at Target and they gave me a 15% discount on purchases for our pack.9didn't even ask wha tI was buying). That may be just an indivdual store decision. I was told as a company they also pick each month organizations to contribute to but you have to submit in writing w/ tax id etc. Don't know if that violates the general "self supporting and not asking for monetayr donations" rule by National by individual packs/troops but if its merchandise not money????