Yah, OK, this is a thread for old-timers. Eagledad got me thinkin' about it when he commented in the parent thread "The way the district can pump up a failing or small troop is look for fresh dynamic adults in the cubs and start coaxing them to look at rebuilding a failing program." He then went on to describe a couple of success stories.

That's one of those Scouting Truths, eh? A troop grows or shrinks to the "natural" size that can be managed by its SM/primary adult leaders. Period. Training doesn't change it. The degree they follow da books or improvise doesn't change it. FCFY doesn't make a dent. Only thing that changes it is new adults or burnout/serious changes in da primary adult(s) lives.

So for da rest of the old timers here, share your "Scouting Truths" - real-world principles that yeh learned over many years in the field.

Beavah

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a Scouting Truth I heard from a very wise consultant.

We say that Scouting is a youth program and indeed it is, but really successful Scouting is an adult program run for the benefit of youth. If you have a group of adults functioning as unit leaders and committee, enjoying each other's company, working together, having a good time and looking forward to spending time together, you'll have a good unit.

If you have the adults working together, the kids will come.

You won't even make it for the first hour on the road before someone has to use the restroom. Might even be a leader.

and

Almost every boy will want to poke at or throw leaves on your cooking fire.

and

If you think you can get away with it, don't do it.

I think I've done well, when I return home with the same number of Scouts as I went with/

I think I've done really well when they are the same Scouts.

More and more I'm starting to think that some people are only happy when they have something to complain about.

Sticking that cute little sign that reads "The future is in your hands" In the mens restroom is never a good idea.

The best Scouter's are able to remember what little so and so's they were when they were Scouts.

Working with people who claim to be experts in First Aid and or Youth Protection makes your hair turn white.

Working with people who are experts in working with line is a real joy.

Sales of that smelly stuff Axe to Scouts should be a hanging offense.

One good thing about not having a kid who is active in the program is that you know that a time will come when you send all the little darlings home.

A Lad who joins Scouts is until he is about 14 very much like a dog.

He wants to please you.

He obeys and remains close at hand.

At about 14 or 15 he turns into a cat.

Ask him to do anything and he gives you the "Look"

The only time you really ever know where he is and what he is up to is at meal times.

Scouts who sing the loudest are the Scouts who can't sing. - But they have the best times at campfires.

The best Scouter's can take a joke, they are able to make fun of themselves, laugh with Scouts but never ever in a million years at Scouts.

Ea.