Experts Now Recommend Hands-Only CPR

Here is what the deal with the push only CPR.

The studies have shown that the lay persons were taking too much time between compressions and ventilations.

Not to mention that there is enough oxygen in blood stream to support the body for a short ammount of time if you are doing consistant compressions.

Now the Professional rescuer, or as they call it, Healthcare Provider, you are still required to check for breathing, provide ventilations, and be able to check for a pulse. And to top it all off the total hands off time for giving the respirations if 10 seconds. That is ventilating the patient and returning to the chest. Compression:Breath ratio is now 30:1. and that is probably getting ready to change.

As for the question about the face mask in the First Aid Kit. You will still need it if you are to have to do rescue breathing. So keep getting them.

I know this is all confusing, but if you think as base level rescuers it is hard, try being an instructor.

SctDad

EMT - Intemediate (ALS)

AHA BLS for HCP Instructor

MarkS is right; we should all do CPR the way we were trained.

It wasn't my intent to override the First MB based on an AP story; I simply wanted to inform folks that the standards are (once again) changing.

GW,

YES! It is very scary because the "no breath--jump on the chest" is what is being taught by many "First Aid-First Response" companies that work in industry. They feel the average factory worker or department store worker can not be trusted to locate a carotid pulse and the time spent looking for one is wasted. They also feel that the average person can not tell if you started shallow breathing on your own or not. What is being taught is if a person collapses go straight to chest compressions and call 911. There is even talk (among the professional ER personnel) that there will be a revision in the AED approach because to much time is being lost waiting for the unit to be retrieved from it's location, undressing the victim,applying the AED leads, and beginning the process. I think it is all a matter of education and the degree of seriousness that is maintained in that instruction. To many people and organizations want to "get credit" for being in the room during a class.

LongHaul

CPR vs. CCC (aka CCR)

current research led by University of Arizona cardiac researchers has prompted American Heart Association (its not just an AP story)to endorse dropping the rescue breathing portion of CPR for continual chest compression at the rate of about 100 per minute...current evidence shows a tripling of survival rates...

Which even with CPR were dismal (usually 5% or LESS). There are lots of situational differences, but for adult victims who are observed "going down" the survival rates have risen from just over 5% to the neighborhood of 16-17% when continual chest compressions are used.

This recommendation appears to be for non- EMT/hospital staff types (like the general public with basic or no CPR training) And even then the general feeling is once an EMT type is on site ...a defibrilator is to be used to jump start the victim.

I'll be interested to see what the recommendations are for those of us who are two hours or more from "jump start" assistance...

During my last CPR recertification class we discussed mental health issues experienced by CPR givers who "lost" their victim and had hard times dealing with the "failure". It was noted by the instructor that many members of the public would probably not finish CPR training if they knew the actual statistical success ratios...I wonder...

In any case keep your mouth shields handy; they are still warranted if the situation is "right"....

Anarchist