The clock is ticking and soon we will say farewell to 2007.

When it's gone it will leave behind traces and memories of times good and maybe not so good. Many of us will sit back and reflect what we did that worked and what didn't.

If we are honest we will see the things that we had no control over and just seemed to be there or just happen along with the things that we did have control of. We can look back at the outcomes of our actions, seeing where we went right and where we maybe went wrong.

I'm not big on "New Year Resolutions". Mainly because I'm not good at keeping them or sticking with them.

Looking back to about this time last year, I was overjoyed that Jamie (HWMBO) was done with her chemotherapy. I set a goal for myself of not getting mad or upset with her!!

She has a nasty habit of calling me from what I'm doing or where I'm at and not telling me what she wants or why she is calling me. Sometimes it's because a firetruck has gone down the road! Sometimes it's because the dogs have done something cute and sometimes she really does need something. All in all I did fairly well with this one.

For the past couple of years it seems to me that OJ and I are not as close as I'd like. We seem to pick on each other. We know how to push each other buttons and end up in arguments. I know I'm guilty of teasing him. I know that he is at "That Age", but still I allow myself to get upset when it seems he thinks that I'm a know nothing twit. I'm going to work on this in 2008.

As far as Scouting goes. Things in the Council and District, that I'm in don't look good.

Again I look back and see that I'm guilty of moaning and groaning and really not doing anything. I have come up with a long list of excuses for not doing anything, but the list is of excuses and not real reasons. I now feel that doing something, no matter what will beat the pants off not doing anything.

My big goal for 2008 is to try and get better at looking at and thinking of "What If".

I work in a very dangerous environment. Just before Christmas a Lady and two Corrections Officers were attacked by a inmate with razor blade taped to his fingers. The Lady needed over 1,000 stitches to her face. A young CO was fifty feet away but didn't have a radio to call for help, he had to run to use a phone. I viewed the video of the incident and it's clear that something wasn't right in the minutes leading up to the attack.

This year in the Forum there has been a lot of Threads and postings about insurance and liability.

Seems to me that the best insurance is a plan and an awareness that looks at the "What If" factor. If we can do this we can avoid the liability.

I'm not looking forward to the Presidential election. I know it's very important, but the media coverage seems to take away from the important things and dwells on the silliness.

I'm thinking that the cost of living will soar in 2008. This will hurt everyone.

But as ever the new year will bring opportunities for laughter and fun. We will be given the chance to do our best to help others and accept help from others.

Kids will see us for what we are, as we try to serve them in this great organization. For some of these kids Scouts will just be another activity that falls on them once a week and the odd weekend, for others it could be the start of something that they will continue to do for a very long time. Who knows in 2058 they will be sitting around telling war stories about us!!

I wish everyone a Happy and Brave New Year.

I hope that as members of the forum we remember to be kind to each other and think twice before we hit the "Summit Your Message" button.

Be safe in 2008.

Eamonn.

I am trying to maintain a glass-half-full attitude. If things have gone terribly this year, at least there's less of a chance they'll get worse.

Anyway, I hope with you that the chemo was successful and you can get on with happier lives.

Your comments on OJ hit home with me. I remember the friction between me and my father. It has taken decades for me to understand what was happening there and the depths of emotional trauma from WWII and some other stuff had hit him. I vowed to make it better with my son.

But I think it's almost inevitable to have friction and so it was with mine. At some point, I guess it was high school, I decided to let him make some major decisions for himself and he did a really good job. I backed off some more. Whenever he stumbled I offered suggestions, he started to listen.

He's not quite completely out of the nest yet but he's set for a wonderful life, barring something completely unforeseen. And as I backed away, he seemed to begin to see things differently as well. Now we have a very warm relationship and I know we have a strong bond. I suspect you and OJ will as well, it may take some time.

As for resolutions, I sympathize. I'm told I'm slim enough but I have resolved to get into better shape. I'd like to be able to do pull-ups again but a shoulder injury may limit that, we'll see. To me the key is resolve to do something realistic. And then take your approach, go ahead and follow through.

You're right, it's another election and I have been tired of sound bites for some time now. I'm still undecided on both party and candidate but if they'd all just shut up for a while, I might make a decision. Oh well, one of those unrealistic expectations.;)

I hope you and yours have a warm, safe, Happy New Year in 2008. Me, I content myself with the knowledge that 50 years from now aside from my family, I'll practically be forgotten and hopefully mostly anonymous. Anyway, I'll be a long way from caring by then.

Oops, this is supposed to be glass-half-full, isn't it? :)

Happy New Year

Edited part: another oops, forgot about that part on 'what if'. That sounds suspiciously like a favorite motto of mine, "Be Prepared".

Yeah, that's the one. :)(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Hmmm, just saw my older son off with his friends to go to play a many-houred board game. He asked me if it was OK if younger brother, age 14, goes with them. It is older son's 21st birthday today. New Year's Day. And, as he has done since his 13th birthday, he had friends over for the night. Tonight was a bit different in that his college team, Clemson, was playing in a bowl game, and everyone was gathered to watch the game. Sadly, Clemson lost in overtime.

But tonight is different. He is an adult. His friends are adults. This is the first year he has included his younger brother in the festivities. They have become friends, even though they are seven years apart. It was difficult for me to let younger son go with them tonight. I never let older son stay out so late. But, younger son is with his brother-I just couldn't say no. Besides, older son isn't taking his brother someplace unseemly, they are off to play a board game and I know the folks they are with, yeah, no harm at all.

Younger son came in the house as I was sweeping up the debris from the minutes before New Year's celebration to ask if it was OK to go. He asked if I knew really that they may not be home until 3 or 4. Yes, I said. It's OK. Remember though that the real world hits again on January 3rd (back to school).

I look back on 2007 and see that my sons have become friends - that is something I wasn't sure would ever happen because of their seven year age difference.

For me, the increasing bond that is forming between my sons is what I look forward to in 2008.