I've never understood what is meant by the oft repeated phrase or variations thereof "we are there for the Scouts", "remember, its for the boys", etc. What is it and where is there?

The mission is to prepare young people to make ethical choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Scout Law. Do we work the program for the boys, Is our purpose to simply build an Eagle such that he can personally excel over the general population? or for the benefit of the world at large that will ultimately benefit from what we do to raise boys into ethical adults? Do adults think much about what it is they hope to accomplish by serving as an adult Scout leader? What is it they want to accomplish? Do many adult leaders think much about the Mission?

Fscouter:

Short answer, Yes.

Except substitute "Scout" for the word "Eagle". That is waaaay too limiting. Not every boy will approach Eagle, but all of them can pick up a bit of the 'ideal'.

Then, too, not every Eagle is really an exemplery Scout...(previous discussions)

I can think of little better than to give a boy (or girl!) the skills to feel confident of their ability and judgement in ANY given situation, be it back in the woods on a cold winters day or in the voters booth or next to a man clutching his throat or in a stuck elevator or in a School assembly or in the family kitchen. I can think of no situation where Scout Skills and/or the Scout Law and Promise cannot find purpose.

How 'bout them POTUS candidates? Any place they could apply Scout experience there? (if they had any?)

I guess that's where my mission lays, kinda like the definition of "art". I know it when I see it?

Also see the small booklet "In The Founders Footsteps"

YiS

I think "it" is the program - the methods, meetings, activities. It is the game that the boys play that we as adult leaders set the rules and struture for.

"There" is just what it means - being there for the scouts - to give them guidance when needed and to train them to be leaders - to be a role model and set the example.

Scouting's mission gives purpose to everything we do as adult leaders. It is what sets scouting aside from all the other youth groups and activities. If we lose sight of the mission, then we are no better youth-development-wise than baseball, soccor, jazz band or the school play.

Keeping the mission in mind helps us focus all our goals and decisions in the right direction. It helps us weather the storm and keep our bearing when others can't, won't or have no clue.

I want these boys to change the way they see themselves and the world. I want them to see the affect of their decisions, good or bad, in order to learn how to make the right ones. I want them to take responsibility for themselves first and then as a leader, for others. And most importantly, to treat others the way they wish to be treated.

One at a time, like throwing beached starfish back into the sea, we help these youth to be better people.

FScouter,

If I have this right?

I think you are asking:

1/ " Do adults think much about what it is they hope to accomplish by serving as an adult Scout leader?"

2/ " What is it they want to accomplish?"

3/ "Do many adult leaders think much about the Mission?"

Let me deal with #3 first.

I'll admit that a lot of the time I get so caught up in what it is I'm doing, that I do at times push all the important and purposeful stuff to the back burner on a very low heat.

As for #2 I'm happy to try and do my best to help the BSA meet the aims of Scouting. In Eamonn's little world I see this as being about helping the youth we serve be able to take care of themselves and care for others.

Number 1 seems to be the same as #2?

As for the "we are there for the Scouts".

I think a lot of times when it is said it is meant to point out or reinforce the fact that the adults are here to serve the youth.

There are a lot of Scouting functions where there are no youth around!! I have attended a lot of training's, dinners, golf outings and the like where there are no youth members. A good many of these events are a lot of fun for the adults and speaking for myself at times it's nice not to have a gang of kids around!! Still at the end of the day the end result be it better trained leaders or a few dollars raised is for good of the kids and will help further the aims of Scouting.

Ea.

I am now a scoutmaster, but I served for 5 years as ASM when MY boy was in the troop. In fact, I had 3 boys, the older two in one troop and the youngest in another (He wanted to be separate from the two brothers, probably a youngest kid thing.) I admit that at first I was in it for MY kids. I also got to have some fun and enjoyment from the camping activities. I guess I got to feel like a kid again myself.

Now the kids are out of scouting. One got Eagle. The troop of my older boys needed a scoutmaster and approached me. I was honored, and took the job. Now, I am interested in seeing that the scouts learn something about life through the program, and that they have fun doing it. It seems I read something about that in Baden-Powell.

In some of my adult leaders I see my old attitudes. They are there for thier kids. Most will leave with their kids. I see that this is a normal state of affairs, and that I use these guys as long as I can. I hope to retain some when their kids are through with scouts, but most will go on. I may be able to rope back in one of our former scoutmasters, as soon as his daughter is out of competitive swimming in high school.

So, since I do not have a vested interest in getting my kid advanced, I am looking at the troop as a whole. I want to do more patrol method than our troop has done. I want to do more boy led stuff than we have done. I want to see that all the boys are motiviated to work the program. I dont want anyone to drop out. It takes a different prospective.

I see the phrase its for the boys much as I do many catch phrases; it means different things to many people. Hopefully for most of the scouter, its for the boys means just that. The work, time, effort and what-all we do is to help deliver the best program we can.

Then there are those who use the phrase its for the boys as an excuse to subvert the program. Such as the new ASM who wants to show the boys how to deep fry chicken in a Dutch oven and does it all by himself, with the disclaimer, hey its for the boys. Or the Committee member, who looks over the troop survey sheets on what the troop wants to do next year, sees Paintball written in and says he will put together a paintball outing of troop youth that is not a troop outing because its for the boys.

Everything we do related to scouting is for the boys, we need to be careful that the phrase its for the boys doesnt become an excuse for something we want to do anyway

We have to remind parents and leader that "it" meaning the program is for the boys. For example in our pack a couple years back the Committee Chairman was trying to use the Pack Meeting time to get the word out to all the parents about events and pack needs. I as the Cubmaster had to reminder her that the Pack Meeting "is for the boys" to have fun as a group and that her "announcements" were eating up the boys fun time.

In the Troop, often times the parents approach us ASM to ask if a boy can get stuff signed off. We remind them that the boy needs to approach the ASM. The parents are more concerned about the boy getting advancement, than learning new skills and how to interact with other adults.

In my corner of the world, it's a reminder that the adults' needs and wants are secondary to those of the Scouts.

I recently asked another leader, whose program I view as successful, what the factors were that made their units (pack and troop) successful. Her reply was that the adults involved try to do the best they possibly can for the benefit of the Scouts involved and keep their egos and personality clashes out of the picture. They put the boy's needs first.

When I hear any leader say "It's for the boys", I interpret that to mean that he/she believes in the BSA program and wants to help instill those values to the boys. They are not in it to receive "knots" or awards or be a part of an adult leadership fraternity, but to be the best unit-level leader possible

For me, being an adult leader is setting an example and helping to implement the BSA program in my unit.

I agree with the last three posters that when I hear the phrase, it's a reminder that we're not in the Man Scouts. I've had the same issue at pack meetings, reminding people that the meeting is for the boys, and if you get up front to say something, say it to the boys.

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with the adults having a good time on the campouts. If the adults are enjoying it, it's more likely that they and their sons will stick with it. Sure, my sons are making good friends, but so am I. I put a lot of work into Scouting, but I don't view it as a sacrifice.

So I don't really think of the whole experience as being "for the boys". I think of it as being for everyone involved. Some parts, like pack meetings, are indeed for the boys. But some events, like district recognition dinners, are for the adults. And many events are somewhere in between. If I weren't having fun, I wouldn't be doing it.

"I Do it For the Boys", "I Do it For the Program", "I Do it For Ideals and Beliefs That Other Outstanding Men and Ladies Passed On To Me", " I Do it Because I am Doing My Best!"

I am in my second round as a Scoutmaster. The first round I started at 24, Taking over an Ill Fated Troop with but 3 Active Scouts. Through Ardous Labor and a Basic understanding (youth tenure only) of the program, I engorged myself with the program. At first to relive some of those meanigfull campouts, klondikes, and camp-o-rees I enjoyed as a youth. But that reminiscing was hsort lived and I realized my truest gift to give was to get a great program going. I served as Scoutmaster for 5 years and Committee Cahir for two after that. In that time I was not the do-all, but I was certainly a key player. With the help of a few others outreach to past scouts of the troop and past leaders as well as the schools, witnessed a troop of 2 youth grow to over 40 in the first four years. this dedication and devotion led to more then two outings a month. A program that was developed to instill the aims and methods into the scouts attitudes and one I would like to presume has effected them as much as the effects had on me. I had to leave the area and one of My Assistant scoutmasters took over, the number of boys dwindled down and eventually the troop folded. I don't think any fault is to lay here as the times changed a little and the particiaption dwindled. Durring this time I had no kids of my own and no vested interest in the troop, no ties to the troop and when I joined the troop no affiliation with the chartered organization. Why get involved you might ask? The answer is simple. I was Asked!

Fast Forward five years. I moved back in the area and now I have vested interest. I have a six year old son. The potential to resurrect the troop was presented to me and at first I had no interest in working with the getting the troop going as I want to be partof my sons scouting carreer. I went to several meetings and took the conversations and thoughts, fomrulating in my mind what I would do what I would say how I would react. I am not sure what actually happened, I thought that a leadership structure for the resurrection was in place. Come to find out the speculative structure did not meet the needs of the Chartered Organization. I did not know this until I was asked to be the SM again. I thought about it and agreed.

Here lies my personal interest: First Let me start off by saying I have always had issues with Dad Sm and Son Scout relationships. I think that the shakedown is tough on the scout and tough on the leader and neither is healthy for either. I accepted with the understanding that I would not be the scoutmaster when my son is in the troop. So Why do it some may be asking? The Reasons are selfish. I want a strong, viable troop, ready and working under the guidlines of Baden Powells program so my son can cross into a great troop and enjoy a smooth operating piece of machinery. I can't predict the future, but if History repaeats itself then the decisisons I am making over my lifetime and the beliefs and ideals instilled in me are working to the betterment of the program.

Now what is happening?

How do I know it is for the Boys?

The troop has be resurrected since June, we have eight boys, six I would consider active. We have five assistant scoutmasters, four of the five were scouts of mine last round, one I knew through OA. 3 of teh scouts earned their eagle scout after or around the time I departed the area. The other two are life scouts. My new CC was MY Old CC also an Eagle Scout and a scout from the troop. Five parents are on the committee )one made it to life, the others have only cub experience) and one of the wives from one of the ASM (they have no kids).

We are not without our hurdles and our growing pains but the program is advancing the scouts are slowly coming out of cub scout mode and we have been working closely with the WEBLOS and the Pack. My wife is a Tiger Den Leader and I go to most pack meetings. It looks like we may have 8-12 crossing over in February. With That we will surely embrace more hurdles. But together we can make great things happen.

We All do things for reasons and the things I do in my life are led by my living the scout oath and law, remembering what has been don for me and knowing that it is in my best intrest to pay it forward. No one forces us to provide what ever we can and All we can Do is "Our Best". If others are better then bring them on board. If others can make it easier, bring them on board. Don't fear giving up somethign to someone if they can make your life easier and the program better.

"Do your BEST"

yis

Stephen