I often point out to my boys the stories in Boys's Life, were a scout is awarded the different medal's for saving a life. One of the parents asked me if this was just for boys's, or adults scouters also? I have only seen them as boys, and never adults. Does anyone know the answer?

Thanks

I am looking at my BSA Insignia Guide Brian, and on page 47 it lists the Honor Medal, Heroism Award, and the Medal of Merit. All three just say "awarded to a member of the Boy Scouts of America for...". So I guess it means adults too although it isn't clearly defined. But as a Leader or Committee person, ye are registered, are ye?

There was at least one given out after the attack on the world trade center. A Scouter and volunteer firefighter from outside of NY was in town when the planes attacked the WTC. He rushed to offer assistance, identified himself, and was put to work. He was one of those who died when the buildings fell.

I think that either adults are held to a higher standard or no one ever thinks of giving us one. For example, if I used an AED to save someone's life, folks would say, "It's lucky that old guy knew how to use that box." If a 14 year old did it, it would be news and of course he'd mention that he is a Boy Scout and someone would think of giving him a medal.

A Scout in my son's troop got a medal because he was at the pool, saw someone in trouble that the life guard hadn't noticed so he jumped in and dragged the person to safety.

I should point out that I am happy that the Scout that I mentioned was given his medal. It was his BSA training that gave him the knowledge and skills to do what he did instead of just standing there, either dumbfounded of futilely trying to get the attention of the lifeguard.

The award may be given to either a boy or an adult, but the criteria for selection is totally subjective. This means that it is awarded only when someone feels it is appropriate regardless of any standards. After 30 years of scouting, saving many lives as a volunteer and by-stander to incidents, the issue has never been considered. From my view point (i.e. standing on both sides of the fence): Those most deserving of the award are most often not considered.

Serving on the Advancement Committee, I also attend meetings to decide who will get what when "Heroism" awards are being considered. The number one issue the Council I serve has is getting a write-up that is adequate and coherent. Many times we hear of events that might qualify for an award, but it takes months to get the paper work completed. Then, on the other had, we get nominations seeking national recognitions for smelling smoke and getting out of the house.

Myself,2 of my ASM's and the cubmaster in town are all firefighters on the same Volly dept. 3 of us recieved the medal of valour AND the medal of bravery from the state last year due to some serious calls we were on. Afterwards one or two people mentioned we might be eligible for a knot or two related to heroism or the like. I think there was a 6 month time frame to apply and that had expired but to me awards are for the boys to earn when appropriate, I am not in the program for personal achivement, if I am delivering a good program, the boys are growing and having fun and things function well and the adults like the program then I am satisfied.

I don't think a knot or scout award is really something that applies to what occurred for us. Although we are not career/paid FF's we were just doing our jobs and what was expected, we all do numerous other calls, some far more dangerous than the ones we recieved teh medals for and we never even consider anything other than a recognition of "Good Job" from the chief at the scene. The call we recived the Medal of Valour for was a very sad and tragic one that made world news, honestly, we as FF's did not do very much on the call as it was largely a police situation. The medal of valour is the only good thing I have from it (even though I really did not do anything tremendous on the call) as my involvement has left me with mental scars that will never go away. I don't feel that I really deserved the medal due to what I did or did not do on the call but it is small compensation for the bad side I am left with in my head. I consider the house fires in the middle of the night where I have been on a roof over a fully involved attic trying to gain access and knock the fire down and they are routine, non medal events, I just go work the next day. The feeling of satisfaction from a job well done is all the reward we ever needed. I'd gladly trade the medal of valour for not ever having happened what did on a tragic day year or so ago.

" I'd gladly trade the medal of valour for not ever having happened what did on a tragic day year or so ago."

Most guys that I know who have been awards medals for valor feel the same way. They'd rather have not been in the situation in the first place. Many also feel that they only did what needed to be done.

My father-in-law received the Silve Star in WW II for doing what he described as the only thing that made sense at the time.

I don't remember all the details but a few years back an airline pilot was hailed as a hero after he landed his plane which had some serious problems. He said, "I'm not a hero, heros have a choice about being there."

I've never been a hero but if ever am declared one, I don't want a medal. Maybe a Cobra but not a medal. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Brian,

Yes, the medals can be given to Scouters as well as Scouts. The recipient has to be in a non-supervisory role. In other words if you are the adult leader on a camp-out and pull one of your Tenderfoots out of the lake, you are not eligible. If you pull someone else out of the lake, then you are eligible.

My oldest, now 21, also ASM with the Troop, has been a lifeguard for 5 years. He has pulled numerous people from the pools over the years, treated people down in the locker room with life threatening intracranial bleeds until EMS arrived, etc. He has also responded on cardiac arrest scenes with me when he was 16 and 17 (because he was in the truck with me when the calls came in) and help give CPR and hook up AED's when the PD arrived ahead of the squad, or the monitor/defib. that I carried. He's stopped at a few nasty accidents on the freeway and provided care until EMS has arrived (these he could have been eligible for). Always in a supervisory role.

He was honored with the Heroism Medal for aiding a friend at a scouting function whose clothing caught fire while they were cleaning up their living history program site that they had run during the day. He was 19 at the time. He wasn't in a supervisory role at the time, just in the right place at the time. He was shocked that he was nominated for the honor. He wasn't happy about all the attention. After living around a vol. department his whole life because of his old man, he felt it was just the normal thing to do.

Like Highcountry, after 25+ years in the field, you don't expect to receive anything. That's not why we are there. The only recognition I ever received was the local VFW's Person of the Year. The chief put my name in for the award. The incident involved saving the life of the Post's chaplain's (who was also the deacon at our church) grandson during a farming accident. Unfortunately in small towns there is little chance of hiding who did what, and I never know when grandma Pat will embarrass me with an introduction of "This is the man who saved my grandson".

There are many cases of deserving Scouts/Scouters that are probably never sent in. Some SM's probably don't even realize the awards exist. Some don't feel recognition is due. Some just won't send them in. I feel if there is a potential candidate, I send it in and leave it up to Council and National to make the determination if an award is appropriate and which one.