How large is your "one hour" per week?

In another thread, a comment was made that some DEs do the "boy talks" at schools because volunteers generally can''t get time off from work whereas the DEs HAVE the time during the day. This is contrary to my own experience, where the talks are done by volunteers (during the work day) or not at all. All as part of the "One hour per week". :)

So how large is YOUR "One hour per week"? What types of activities are included and what is your position?

(Which reminds me of the old math joke: "One plus one equals three for very large values of one".) :)

There should be a paraphrase with "and how many hats too"?

ACM, SM, District Committee, CS RT Commissioner, District Webmaster. Sometimes I feel like I get one hour of sleep per week. (Add Church Webmaster and Technology Committee. Oh wait, then there''s that little thing called work where I live most of the time.)

But it''s not about me. It''s for the Scouts and leaders and the units we all serve. We''re all Scoutnuts. Everyone go hug yourself. Those white coats are very comfortable.

Guess I have it easy. One hour a week per boy as SM for our Troop = only nine hours a week for our small Troop. Hmmm, seems like more sometimes!

Have worn and removed many many Scouting hats over the years and I am very happy to wear only the SM hat these days.(This message has been edited by gwd-scouter)

I had to laugh at this one. One hour per week per boy is probably a little much, but alot closer than "one hour a week."

This last weekend, our Pack put on a raingutter regatta, camp-in and service project. Now given we have a very large pack (nearly 150) our Cubmaster, Comittee Chair, Activities Chair and Three Assistant Cubmasters (myself included) were there from noon Friday for setup until until the end of the service project at 1pm Saturday. Lets see...not counting the other volunteers, our one hour this week amounted to 25! (oh...and don''t forget the 3 last Monday for the Pack meeting...and the hours of email and phone)...not a bad ratio...traded my one hour in for around 30 LOL.

Okay, I''m new enough it''s possible that I''m either doing too much or new enough that my excellent CC is doing a lot for me but in my troop of 22 I''m averaging about 4-5 hours a week. Camping and Camp and Popcorn excluded of course.

I don''t want to add up the hours for this week. It started Saturday, 8 - 5 for Instructor Training for CPR/First Aid/AED/Wilderness First Aid. Tonight 7 - 9 for a Wood Badge Reunion Planning Committee. Tuesday night is Troop meeting, 7:15 - 9. Wednesday night is Scouters Academy Steering Committee meeting, 7 - 9. Thursday is District Committee Meeting, 7:30 - 9. Friday I''m off (time to study and prepare for testing Saturday) Saturday is back for the second half of the Instructor Training, 8 - 5.

Hats: SM for Troop, COR for Pack, Membership Vice-Chair for District, Committees as above, Camp Director for Webelos Woods. Most of this ends in November. WB Reunion is October 13, Scouters Academy is Nov. 3, Webelos Woods is Nov. 9-11. Squeeze in a Troop campout each month, and it all adds up to one hour a week! Hey, it keeps me out of trouble.

Trev, the DE and I both made the pitch at school to the boys for our School Night for Scouting event.(This message has been edited by BrentAllen)

"How large is your "one hour" per week?"

It''s a big as you allow it to become!!

I really enjoy Scouting.

I like Scouter''s and kids.

I did allow myself to become a seven day a week Scouter.

I allowed myself to get drawn into serving on all sorts of committees. Then after the meetings there was the parking lot meeting and then after the parking lot meeting there was the "Let''s go to the ... meeting"

Driving to meeting two states away, spending nights at overpriced motels, attending breakfast meetings.

Even as a Cub Scouter there was the Pack meeting, the Pack Committee Meeting, the Leaders meeting, the R/T meeting along with all the other "Special Meetings".

I''m not sure where this "One Hour a week" thing comes from?

I don''t think anyone actively involved with the youth members can get away with on sixty minutes a week.

Sadly a lot of people do get very upset when you try knocking a few of the hats that they are wearing off.

While they feel they are saving the day, the truth is that they aren''t!! They are slowly but surely either becoming stuck in a rut or they are burning out. When the time comes for them to go (And it does come to all of us for different reasons.) Trying to find a replacement for one hat is hard enough, but trying to fill several hats is almost impossible.

Too much time spent Scouting is not a good thing. It can and does take it''s toll on your family and can harm your performance at work.

We might not want to hear it but Scouting has been around for 100 years, it done very well before we came along and will survive long after we have gone.

Our role should be that of stewards ensuring that it will survive after we have gone.

While it''s all too easy to get caught up in what''s going on today we need to be looking for and training the people who will replace us, building units that have strong foundations and good traditions.

One of the really hard things we all need to learn to do is by far learning the word "NO"

Eamonn.

Ea.,

I agree with you, and I''m big on succession planning. When I took on District Membership Vice-Chair, I wasn''t SM of a Troop. I believe that if you are a unit leader (CM, SM) you shouldn''t hold a major position at the district level. There are enough other Scouters around to handle those major positions. I will drop that one next year.

Our council is so large, and has so many Wood Badgers, that we only hold a reunion once every 4 years - it is a huge event. I accepted that position because I''m getting to work with some old Scouters who are in their mid 70''s, and I might not get the opportunity again. Plus, I get to listen to their really cool stories! Some of these gentlemen have been in Scouting for 40 - 50 years, and you just can''t beat their experience.

Our district hadn''t held an overnight Webelos Woods in any one''s memory, so I put one together last year (I was Activities Chair). It went off pretty well. I agreed to help out our new Activities Chair and run it again this year, as long as we get someone to take it next year.

This is my third year on the Scouters Academy Steering Committee. I will probably keep this as long as I''m asked. We have a great team and it is a lot of fun. It doesn''t take too much time and is very rewarding.

Brent,

heh heh, yes it keeps me out of trouble too! On those occasions when my beautiful bride will ask, "What? another Scout meeting? Isn''t this the third one this week???", I can reply, "Well, would you rather me be hanging out at a bar, like xxx''s husband?"

;)

I wish I could get paid just $1.00 an hour for the work I do in Scouting (yes I am joking around) ... think about how much that could be worth at the end of one year... lol ...

I am glad so many of us, including me put in the over time (anything over the one hour a week) to help the boys and at the same time helping the planet. I think we should form a friendship circle and take a moment of vanity and salute each other ;) ...

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

Helping leaders one resource at a time

is onehour still around? used to be active on the forum. Must have committed the one hour elsewhere.

I gave up SM to become a Scouting manager (Group Leader - you don''t have such a thing) to reduce the hours. Well I haven''t - but now I can choose when I do the hours. That has made a heap of difference.