Greatest scouting experiences?

I come from a troop that is not very active when it comes to outings, and neither is our venturing unit, so I'm sure some of my moments will pale into comparison with yours.

One of them would have to be the 05 Jambo. It wasn't just one thing, being in a new troop, new scouts, and great leaders. I remember seeing all the people trading patches, thinking, whats the big deal? Next thing I know I'm scrambling trying to complete various sets. Another Jamboree moment would have to be the arena show, not the show itself, but seeing all these scouts, thinking to myself, wow, look what I'm a part of. Truly an awing experience being around some of the future leaders of tomorrow.

Another one, doesn't have much to do with Scouts but still fun. There's nothing better than putting off merit badges and playing some tackle football during the dog days of summer camp. We usually just go out to the ole flag meadow and play until the staffers come out and ask "are your leaders looking for you?"

Yeah, those are some of mine, not very impressive, but I'll always remember them.

C-BOLT-

You have learned something important early. The activity, the location, the patches, everything pales compared to the company in which you find yourself. I have found over the years that the people I enjoy the most are Scouts and Scouters. Keep on Scoutin' Young Brother.

It was the summer of 1967, the Troop of my youth was in the Grand Canyon, our scoutmaster was a really cool guy. He played the bugle and was quite good. He also smoked, but back then there was no prohibition against adult leaders smoking in front of the youth.

He was finshing a cigarette before he blew the bugle for formation, and a scout asked if he could inhale and then play the bugle to see what would happen. Well, he tried it and I have a picture of the smoke pouring out of the bugle, we always said Jerry could play one smokin' horn

OGE, I remember the Camp Director smoking in the kitchen and in the Dining Hall during SM and Staff meetings in the mid 80's! There have been many highs in Scouting to narrow it down to just one. International Jambo in Canada in 84? Four summers working at Scout Camp? OA Conclave? Or maybe the fellowship of council campfire on friday nights, hundreds of youth served, patches earned or traded, meals shared with strangers who became friends? Every second was worth the price of admission-which was a bargain.

My greatest experience so far, and also the most challenging, was serving as Scoutmaster for the 1997 Jamboree contingent. Trying to make a group of 36 virtual strangers come together as a working unit in a short period of time was mind boggling. The closing arena fireworks show and seeing an estimated 100,000 scouts and scouters holding lighted candles and repeating the Scout Oath brought tears to my eyes!

As a youth in Scouting, it would be hard to forget any of the 5 summer camps I was at with my troop. Getting tapped out and the ordeal during the summer camp of 1972 is prominent in my memory. Having my Dad serve as the troops Scoutmaster was/is a great memory.

Here in the present day...last years trek at Philmont seems to replay in memory nearly every day and never seems to get old...yet. Having the opportunity to be the district Roundtable commisioner and having good, positive feedback from Scouters attending Roundtable.

Watching my son mature and becoming more responsible as a result of what he's learned in Scouting. Becoming an Asst. Troop leader for my daughters Girl Scout troop...and seeing the excitement these young ladies project as they plan and prepare for hiking, camping...and in thier words "real scout stuff".

Wow. What a great topic!

My favorite Scouting experience, for years, was the district Pinewood Derby when I was a Bear Scout. In Boy Scouts, I had many. But summer camps as a whole probably topped them. TLT was also an awesome experience.

As an adult, National Camp School was the best -- until I went through Woodbadge.

It's tough to say. . . Seeing my only son cross over during his Arrow of Light ceremony was very special. My Woodbadge experience, and the friends that resulted from it, was also special. I would say it's a tie between the two.

I was only in Cub Scouts for one year as a youth so I have few memories there. As an adult leader attending summer camp for the first time in 1989, being tapped out for OA in 1990, taking a contingent to NOAC in 1994, working on the kitchen staff at camp during OA functions and attending Woodbadge. What really ties all of the activities together are the outstanding people I have met over the years, many of which have become lifelong friends. I think that, is the greatest experience I have had in scouting.

Bob

All the weekend camping trips over the years sort of blur together.

But, without a doubt it was the two treks to Philmont with my two sons on seperate occasions that stand out clearly.

I'm trying to convince both of them that the three of us should go together.

Memorable experiences-

Every moment I spend and have spent at H. Roe Bartle Scout Reservation as a scout and scouter.

Becoming a tribesman in the great Tribe of Mic-O-say.

Watching my sons become tribesman in the great Tribe of Mic-O-Say.

Attending the NESA Jamboree at the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD, wasn't bad.

...and, if I may be just a dad for a moment, every moment I spend and have spent with my three sons in the BSA. This summer will be our (my wife and I) first extended "empty nest" experience; my middle son will be serving his third year on staff at H. Roe Bartle Scout Reservation and my youngest will be serving his first year on staff at HRB.

My greatest experience? Watching my sons grow from boys to men in the BS of A.

YIS

As a youth...

Taking my Brotherhood Oath in 1971.

Canoeing with my Post from Needles to Lake Havasu in the spring of 1973. Boy, did our arms pump in the dead water of Havasu!

As a Scouter...

Seeing my son earn Brave and Warrior in the Tribe of Mic-O-Say at the great H Roe Bartle Scout Reservation.

Seeing him earn Firebuilder in the Tribe at Camp Geiger

Taking him to his Eagle Board of Review in the new Flag Mall pit at the Theodore Naish Scout Reservation.

Seeing him walk through his High School regularly wearing a whole array of Scouting T-shirts and polos, and not being embarrased to be who he is.

Seeing six young men (including him) at their Eagle Court of Honor, and the next day, having their picture on the HS home page!

Trusting him enough as a person that the only guidance I gave him as he went to the Prairie Winds Music Festival honor band at KU was: Do the right thing and have fun.

I was in Cub Scouts for about a month as a youth. So my great memories are all as a leader.

The first great memory was seeing my older son cross into Boy Scouts after three years in Cub Scouts and going on his first campout with him.

The second was being a den leader for my younger son from Tigers through Bears, moving and having to switch packs (and troops), still being involved in the Cub Scout program and finally seeing him bridge to Boy Scouts two days ago (to the troop of which I am SM).

Those were the things that meant the most to me so far in Boy Scouts, along with every minute I get to spend with my boys!

Bill

Great Topic!!

As a youth, Id have to say that my most memorable (and embarrassing) moment was taking an unexpected swim in the lake during a tap out ceremony after my breach cloth caught fire!! Luckily no one was hurt, except maybe my pride.

As an experienced Scouter aka old guy, I d have to say that so far it was watching my 7 Webelos be presented their AOL awards and crossing over to the Troop a couple of weeks ago. The pack did a photo tribute for them which had photos of them from Tiger thru Webelos II, which brought a tear to my eye.