Am I getting old or does TV seem to be getting worse?

Hey you can hear, "Plunk your magic twanger, Froggie" in the original form at:

http://michelesworld.net/dmm/frog/gremlin/plunk.htm

I used to watch Andy, Froggy, Midnight the Cat and all the rest every Saturday. Also Captain Midnight (Ovaltine) as well as Sky King. But I don't remember his plane except it was a twin engine design. I do remember Penny and Clipper though.

OK, I need to know if anyone remembers a Saturday radio show with a host whose name is something like Gil (who) Mahoney and his magical Leprechaun band.

Back to the topic...maybe....one thing I am fed up with right now is the negative political ads. From every side. I'd like to vote against all of them but there would be no one left. I don't understand why any decent person would want to subject themselves or their families to this kind of treatment. And politicians wonder why we hold them in such low regard....all we have to do is listen to the campaigns, they tell us exactly why we should think poorly of them. Every. Last. One.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some memories of WGN, The Ray Rayner Show, Bozo the Clown with Oliver O Oliver (Ray Rayner again) Bob Bell as Bozo and Ringmaster Ned and the Grand Prize Game, Frazier Thomas with Garfield Goose with the Clutch Cargo cartoons and then on Sunday, Frazier Thomas hosting Family Classics and then Early mornings watching Diver Dan with my first crush, Miss Minerva (heavy heavy sigh)

NAtionally, My Friend Flicka, Sargeant Preston of the Yukon and his lead dog King, Happy Trails to you being sung by Roy and Dale (if you need last names, getoutofhere)I'm Dickens, He's Fenster with Marty Ingles and John Astin, Circus Boy played by Mickey Dolenz who was reputed to have gone on to some measure of success in pop music. The Burns and Allen show where George would be watching the other charactors on his TV but when they came in the room, it was always the same cowboys and indians show. Our Miss Brooks with Eve Arden and a wispy walter denton long before Col. Samuel Trautman was around, the length, depth and breadth is incredible

If "you are what you eat", did we "became what we watched"?

And what do we do to help form our progeny?

Almost right... Sky King flew a Twin Beech 18, later a Beech Bonanza Twin. Cessna is a different brand of Plane.

No one knows poor Leonard Graves?

(This message has been edited by SSScout)

Leonard Graves - Victory at Sea in the 1950s.

I remember watching Bozo with older son on WGN. We have a video of him when he was about 2 years old marching around the back yard with a stick in his hand chanting "grand march...follow me." He also set up a single bucket and played the bucket game. Funny to hear him miss and then say "oh, close."

Found it! The plane was called "Songbird". I guess there was a name for everything and 'Cessna' just didn't cut it. :)

Another of my favorites was 'Cisco Kid'. I loved the way those shows ended and I still run the theme music once in a while when I play 'head music' while hiking or something. Better than an iPod!

Now I'm green with envy!!

All the stuff you had and there I was with Hymns of praise and The Magic Roundabout.

Still looking back no American show can beat:

Early Benny Hill

The Two Ronnies.

Dave Allen.

Top Of The Pops (OK - I was young once. -Thursday wasn't Thursday without Melody Maker to read on the tube and Jimmy Savile on Top Of the Pops.)

That Was The Week That was (TW3)

The Frost Report.

The Prisoner (Danger Man, wasn't bad)

Monty Python

Only Fools and Horses

Porridge

The darling buds of May.

I hear that a lot of these are now available on NETFLIX -??

Eamonn

( Did anyone see the new game show on Fox? The name of the host is Eamonn with 2 N's)

I grew up watching Opie & Pa figuring stuff out, hearing the Beav saying "Gee Wally" & wonder why if Father Knew Best he missed so much!

We had 3 channels plus PBS. It was really cool when we could get a UHF channel! It was hard to tune in, though. The Tene-Rotor had to work overtime.

The 1st time I saw The Wizard of Oz in color it was really cool!

Wish we had Dave Allen & Monty Python when I was growing up! Both are classics.

TV now is not that great. Reality TV sucks. There are very few good comedies on and the dramas are all the same. I do love Boston Legal! If it wasn't for sports & channels like Discovery I probably wouldn't watch much.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10