"What kind of message does it send the the cubs if you only camp in fair weather?"

It sends the message is that these are cub scouts, not boy scouts. They and their parents are just learning about camping and outdoor skills. We don't expect cub families to have the full range of camping equipment, and many parents have no experience camping.

I encourange experienced cub scout campers (family who regularly camp, Webelos who have been in the pack and camped for 3 or 4 years) to camp when it's colder or wet, but it is always ok to just come for the day.

Most boy scouts I know (and that is a lot - I have had at least one son as a boy scout for 14 years) have to gradually accumulate camping equipment. Their family probably had a family tent when they were cubs, but many of these are not very waterproof, have very large vents and very small flys - not appropriate for cold or wet camping. Most started with "camp" sleeping bags (rectangular and big and maybe not very warm) as cubs or new scouts and eventually get the smaller, warmer backpacking mummy bags.

Now Boy Scout troops, they camp in any weather, and my sons' troop has - snow, rain, cold. But even there, some younger boys may not be ready, and may not have the equipment, to handle the more extreme weather. But they learn.

We went to a council event last weekend. Woke up Sun morning, probably just below 40 degrees. My wolf had no problem with the cold, he had his coat got his hot chocolate and was good to go ready to play with the rest of the cubs. I only heard complaints from parents. Kids are more resiliant than parents give them especially moms. I had only one wolf not stay the night, his dad had somewhere to be Sun morning.

Scoutldr, I'm not trying to hijack your thread.

I can clearly understand when someone has to be someplace else. The dad of the other WDL had a stroke, he left Saturday night also.

Perhaps as an organization, we can hold Cub Camping 101 for cub parents.

Any of you WB students need a ticket item? Maybe you'd like to consider putting together Cub Camping 101/

Thanks,

There was a fairly lengthy discussion of this earlier this year - see http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=132151#id_132999

I'd say the goal is to make sure that people are prepared for the conditions, and that they have a good time when camping. You need to use your judgement to decide exactly how that applies to your situation.

Oak Tree

reading through this thread you would think there were some 80 year old old ladies here!

Cub Scout Camping requires a parent / guardian to go, If things get "that bad" they can pack up and go home, its not like they are going to be 50 miles in at Philmont.