Can we make that much difference?

HI All

I had a wonderful weekend last week. I was invited to present a scout his Eagle during a troop Eagle COH. That is unusual for our troop because even though our scouts and their families plan the COH to their taste and needs, usually the father presents the Eagle with a short tribute following. This all started years ago when one father gave a very tearul tribute to his son and now all the moms since have forcefully incourage the same for all the scouts.

I didn't ask questions, I only replied that I was honored. But I did wonder why this family was breaking tradition. To add to this, four scouts were getting their Eagle during the same ceremony and this scout was the only one whose father was not giving tribute. I've known this scout and his family for a long time. He is a good father who has supported his son as well as our troop and program. So I wondered what it was all about.

I guess the mother and Scout knew I would be confused because wHen I walked into the church about 45 minutes before the ceremony, the scout and his mother approached me at the door. They both told me that I was asked to present the Eagle and the tribute because if it not for me, he would not be recieving his Eagle today. I told them that it was not me, but everyone in the troop. They however, would not accept that and made it clear, I got all the credit. I didn't know how to respond. I know some part of me was gleming with pride, but I can honestly say I was quieted and uncomfortable from their very very kind words.

This scout to me an average boy, getting into a little trouble once in a while by pushing the limits, but also admitting his deeds and growing from his trials. He wasn't a difficult scout at all, in fact I liked they way he brought color into lives of those around him. He was a pretty good leader and he was respectful of all others. He is a pretty good kid, now a man in college. So what did I do that stands out from the rest of our hard working team of adults? I can't say honestly. I can only say that when I was a SM, I felt the obligation to be a team leader and that we were all rewarded for the performance of our scouts. The present SM of the troop is no slacker, I think he is better than I was, he is a great SM. While I am reaping the rewards of my one hour a week, I think I would rather this family gave credit to the whole team, and not just me, I don't know why. Isn't this the kind of payback we lust from all the hard work? Can we make that much difference?

Such a flurry of emotions has rushed through me the last few days. I can only sum all this up by saying; Oh how I love this scouting stuff.

Barry

Barry,

Great story, thanks for sharing. It inspires us to try and be more to these boys than "that guy that runs the troop". I can only hope that someday a scout will tell me that I made that difference in his life.

And thanks for making us all love this scouting stuff.

-John

Barry,

I don't know why you are surprised. Those of us who know you understand their choice!

I know it is cliche, but my dad was/is my hero. He passed away about 5 years ago. I'm now 49 and with each passing year since my early 20's, I realize more and more what a great man my father was. He probably had the greatest influence of any man in my life. There are however, a handful of other men who made a difference in my life. One was a Silver Beaver who was my assistant baseball coach in 1st grade. He was also my Cubmaster a few years down the road. His family later joined my church and he was one of the "youth sponsors" when I entered the youth group. Another was the man who was my Sunday School teacher from 9th grade thru college. He moved up each year with my class. Another was my Youth Minister who came when I was in 7th grade and stayed until my Junior year of college. Another was my boss at the grocery store I worked at during high school and college. Every single one of these men had a profound impact on the man I grew into.

I was reflecting on these men recently when it dawned on me that I very well could be one of those men in the life of any of the scouts in our troop. It was very sobering and humbling.

Enjoy your reward Barry, you earned it.

Can we make that much difference?

Eagledad,

You made a difference because you were there for him as a leader and advisor.  This is his way of saying "Thank You".

When I was a Boy Scout, I looked up to my SM as a teacher, advisor, and I respected him.  I was grateful that he gave of his time to help us enjoy the Scouting experience.  It really did not matter that he may have been a little disorganized or a little forgetful.  What mattered is that he was there and he cared about us.

Thank you for giving of your time.  I'm a Scout leader today because of positive role models like yourself.

Jeff

Not sure how this goes with this thread.

As you know OJ finally completed his Eagle Scout in June.

He is in charge of the COH.

Except for the choice of disposables, which Her Who Must Be Obeyed has had in store for ever.

He is a little concerned that I will in some way either embarrass him or take over.

I have already decided that when the day comes, I'm going as his Dad not as a Scouter.

He has said that I can have a few minutes.

I know that I talk too much,so I'm not going to say anything!!

I have put together a power point presentation of photos of him growing up, not just Scouting. I needed to cover five minutes and thats a lot of photos. I'm not trying in any way to embarrass him, no baby in the bath or that sort of thing. But a lot of him thinking -When he did on the rare occasions think he used to stick his tongue out of the side of him mouth.

He was asking me about who should get the Eagle Mentor Pin?

I have to admit that I thought that he'd present me with it. But as ever I was wrong!!

He thought about it for a week or so and came back telling me who he had choose.

It was someone I'd never have thought of in a thousand years. In fact to be very honest the guy has never really impressed me!!

He serves as an ASM in OJ's old Troop.

While I have kind of looked at everyone for what they do for Scouting, OJ knows this man as a friend. They have spent a lot of time talking to each other over the years. The guy has two son's both Eagle Scouts one a year older than OJ and one two or three years older.

When I asked OJ "Why him?" He said that this fellow had always been there for him.

Me not saying anything will be hard, but the music I have chosen to go with the PPP covers everything I would like to say.

Bob Dylan . Forever Young.

May God bless and keep you always,

May your wishes all come true,

May you always do for others

And let others do for you.

May you build a ladder to the stars

And climb on every rung,

May you stay forever young,

Forever young, forever young,

May you stay forever young.

May you grow up to be righteous,

May you grow up to be true,

May you always know the truth

And see the lights surrounding you.

May you always be courageous,

Stand upright and be strong,

May your hands always be busy,

May your feet always be swift,

May you have a strong foundation

When the winds of changes shift.

May your heart always be joyful,

May your song always be sung,

My great hope is that we can celebrate his Eagle and the end of Jamie's Chemo.

Eamonn.

Thanks for all the kind replies. Your words Beav really ring true. Everytime I read your post, I think our Council has a great future.

Eammon, I always enjoy your words because in many way I feel we came from the same mold, but I was the sent to the states. I can't think of who I would have said was my role model back in college. Looking back now, I can pick several. My dad is on that list, but I didn't understand that until I was a father.

I have noticed my 23 year old starting to understand our family as well. In a time when many of his friends come from divorced families, he has been asking a lot about how we raised our kids.

I guess I want to be a hero, but I have never looked at it that way. I will say that I have told my kids many times that I am their dad and not their best friend. I'm sure you all understand those moments. I have always looked at scouting as a fun way to prepare boys for the future. I know that I didn't do the job to get the praise. I know most of you are the same.

But honestly, I did sit down and wonder just how we as scouters could make that much difference in a boys life. I think it must be like what Beav and Eammon are saying, it's not just one wonderous moment that does it, but many little moments that we don't even record in our own brain. Maybe it is the consistancy to live what we preach, and to admit our shame when we don't.

I worked with so many boys and I run into them all the time. I used to say to adults all the time that we are making better men to be fathers, leaders of the community and workers in their companies. We are building citizens of character and leaders of integrity. It seems now that those boys I spoke of then have grown into men. That time is here and I am going to be confronted with my past performance.

When I became a SM, I thought a lot about my SM and hoped I could be as good as him. I decided to look him up and found the phone number of his son who was one of my best friends back then. It turns out my SM had died of cancer just a few month pryer. Even more interesting, I had been working in a building one block from where he worked. Time is short, but I wanted to give him credit for my being a SM. I not sure he was a hero to me, but I know that I wanted to be a SM just like him. Yeah, I guess he was hero.

I'm sitting here at the computer and raising my coffee mug to you. Here is to all you heros out there. As Jeffery said, thanks for giving all your time.

Barry